Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 hours ago, dezz said:

There’s the bold Riku giving his POTY award in English in the wee video.  Puts to bed any notion of Stevie Hammell conducting the numerous zoom calls and whatsapp conversations in fluent Japanese. 

I really want him to be good.

You'll be waiting a while.

4 hours ago, Swello said:

The fact that Calum Butcher speaks quietly makes him much scarier - having someone telling you sotto voce that they're going to break your legs in the next tackle would be far, far worse than some sort of Ryan Porteus daft as a brush type shouting it in your ear.

23 of 25 SPFL strikers can testify to this. It would be 22 but Mandron said “Bonjour” to him and he went on the list.

2 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Not gonna lie, if Motherwell put another tweet out that isn't the Retained List I might need go all Motherwell Da and reply "this isn't the retained list"

They need to get all the happy squad together at the end of the season content done before they brutally cut half of them adrift.

9 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

That was a good day...

By the end it was one of the best but between full-time at Ibrox and Johnson scoring is about as jittery as I've ever been in my life.

image.png.433c6c45939aa7676321af8fcf33ea62.png

It was the rollercoaster of accepting relegation, the first leg and then the terror of what if we screw this up...even when not especially on top on in the first half we were rarely in danger but there was a moment just before half time when Zaliukas (I think) dumped a corner over the bar when he should have scored and had that gone in...

20 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

By the end it was one of the best but between full-time at Ibrox and Johnson scoring is about as jittery as I've ever been in my life.

It was the rollercoaster of accepting relegation, the first leg and then the terror of what if we screw this up...even when not especially on top on in the first half we were rarely in danger but there was a moment just before half time when Zaliukas (I think) dumped a corner over the bar when he should have scored and had that gone in...

Likewise, thought if the **** scored early sqeeky bum, but as soon as Johnson expertly smacked the ball off the guys legs and the most comical bit of goalkeeping ever took place, started to chill out.

3 goals, police horses on the pitch, goading and throwing stuff at the **** and a punch up on the pitch, Carlsberg don't do playoffs.......

Edited by Dosser1886

I listened to the Sportsound "podcast" (it was just normal Sportsound recorded from the minute the game finished IIRC) later that week and St Mirren's Chick Young went on a deliciously bitter rant about the fact we were celebrating it "like we'd won something" - his opinion was that we should have been shame faced about being in the playoff in the first place and should have slunk off the pitch afterwards.

Then - as now - I genuinely wondered how someone could make a living writing and broadcasting about Scottish football with so little insight into how it actually works. Then I remembered that he was just a massive, hurting *** and listened to it again.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Completely agree with this - I was the same.  I was pretty fine ahead of the game at Ibrox.  I thought we'd get gubbed so I'd already accepted deep down we were probably toast.  After winning at Ibrox though, but with that late goal for them, I had a horrible feeling we'd lose the first goal at Fir Park and we'd collapse.

Thankfully, and memorably, it didn't end up that way.  The noise from the stands, when Johnson's thunderbolt rocketed in (that's how it happened, right) was as loud as I've ever heard Fir Park.  I doubt it'll be topped.  

9 minutes ago, Desp said:

Completely agree with this - I was the same.  I was pretty fine ahead of the game at Ibrox.  I thought we'd get gubbed so I'd already accepted deep down we were probably toast.  After winning at Ibrox though, but with that late goal for them, I had a horrible feeling we'd lose the first goal at Fir Park and we'd collapse.

Thankfully, and memorably, it didn't end up that way.  The noise from the stands, when Johnson's thunderbolt rocketed in (that's how it happened, right) was as loud as I've ever heard Fir Park.  I doubt it'll be topped.  

Sitting in the Cooper and seeing the massive deflection on Johnson's shot you just thought, ah f**k it, chance gone.

When Bell fumbled it though and it crossed the line, fucking euphoria. Behind watching T*m B*yd lifting the cup it's by far the 2nd best feeling I've experienced as a 'Well fan.

Squad update announced. 

Stange they have thrown those out of contract with those made offers !! I mean surely we have not made all offers such as Jake Carroll for example. So why not just state who has been made and offer and who has not 🤷‍♂️

I have a really specific memory of being the exact opposite ahead of the playoffs for some reason. I watched the Rangers Hibs game at my mums (that's who I go to games with), and after it had finished and we knew it would be Rangers I went to the kitchen to put the kettle on. Her fridge is right at the kitchen door that goes into the livingroom and I remember standing at it getting the milk out and said to her...."I just have this weird feeling that we're not going to just win, but absolutely thump them".

Had absolutely nothing to base it on whatsoever, I mean...we had showed nothing that season to suggest we were capable, but I just felt like it was on the cards for no real reason at all.

I was as surprised as anyone when it actually happened though!