Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I don't think the ceiling was too high in how much we'd sell him for, so if we can get good compensation then I guess it's best for all parties? I do think given contracts expired over a week ago, I'd say the majority of them won't be back, the only 2 likely were Goss and Casey, unless they are still on holiday and giving an answer just before pre-season begins next Monday. 

I like Deano. I think there's probably a slightly higher ceiling for him but I'm not sure he'd necessarily hit it with us so if he's got opportunities in England (as has been suggested) then absolutely fair fucks. I got a laugh at someone in the club's comments talking about how he'd be better served staying and getting first team games given he's already made 52 appearances for us - it's not like it's a Reece McAlear situation - we've got a turn out of him.

I think that in a similar way to Johnston he's kind of been a victim of the pandemic fucking with the development side of things for that sort of age group (I get Johnston's 19 and Cornelius is 22).

It's a slightly unfair comparison but Cornelius is the same age as Campbell when he left (Wee Al had 160 games) so it feels like an entirely reasonably point in his career to want to try something different.

Here's his breakdown of appearances by coach, it's interesting that he got fewer minutes per game under our former Academy Director than either Alexander or Ketts.

Screenshot2023-06-11at17_31_38.thumb.png.b3f23ecbe9648ede109447b2d695f009.png

Average minutes per game:

• Alexander = 76.6 mins
  • Kettlewell = 64.1 mins
  • Hammell = 41.8 mins
Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

I can't fault Deano because he runs about a lot but I'm not exactly gutted he's gone. He's an ok player at this level but I've not seen anything that suggests he's going to kick on. And if we make a bit of money then all the better.

That's where I'm at with it. He didn't ever look out of place, but he was never unanimously first choice. As much as he'd have been in my team like he has under Kettlewell, I don't think there'd have been a massive difference had Slattery been starting and Deano was on the bench.

I don't begrudge him moving on at all, but us getting a few bob for a player I'd imagine we'd be able to replace seems preferable for all.

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Didn't realise we only signed him from Hibs when he was 17. We probably won't get much then?

If we get anything that is a bonus. We’ll fan and all that and I wish him nothing but the best. 

Genuinely curious as to where he will end up. He was not 1st choice with us and easy to see why. Lots of endeavour and passion but for me well behind Slattery, Goss and Spittal in the pecking order. 

I hope he comes good, but the fact there is a team out there prepared to pay us several years training compensation is to me quite surprising 🤷‍♂️

I know the #Dees on here have him tapped as the next in their Supermarket Sweep trolley dash of a summer but it'd explain why we might have had a chat with Kyle Turner if we've known about Cornelius' vacant midfield spot for a while.

Cornelius is probably savvy and honest enough with himself that, at 22 and with a steady first couple of seasons in senior football under his belt and only training compensation payable to acquire his services, he realises this is the optimum time for a lower league English side to take a low risk punt on him, and probably mid-table League One will be as high as he can hope for at this stage.

Money being as it is down there though, worst case scenario is he gets a couple of years earning considerably more than he does now, and if it doesn't work out he comes back up the road with a decent bank balance and gets picked up by one of our peer group of sides. He's robust enough to handle it and seems determined and strong enough to adapt. I don't think he'll ever reach Wee Al at Luton levels, but best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

Edited by 'WellDel

42 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I know the #Dees on here have him tapped as the next in their Supermarket Sweep trolley dash of a summer but it'd explain why we might have had a chat with Kyle Turner if we've known about Cornelius' vacant midfield spot for a while.

Would be a rather substantial upgrade, of sorts. Different kinds of player though.

corn.thumb.png.67296ce75145174968e6cc2ec93aa0d9.png

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

If we get anything that is a bonus. We’ll fan and all that and I wish him nothing but the best. 

Genuinely curious as to where he will end up. He was not 1st choice with us and easy to see why. Lots of endeavour and passion but for me well behind Slattery, Goss and Spittal in the pecking order. 

I hope he comes good, but the fact there is a team out there prepared to pay us several years training compensation is to me quite surprising 🤷‍♂️

Not 1st choice? Think Mr Kettlewell will have a difference of opinion. Behind Slattery? Yet, Slattery only retained his place after securing the point at Kilmarnock and when Dean picked up an injury pre-split fixtures.

Don't think his influence in our upturn can be understated. Certainly gave two you mentioned the platform to improve.

Dare say there’s a few variables on why he sees his chance to progress is away from the club. It’s up to those tasked to develop better the much lauded next batch rather than pay the process lip service.

Think some are getting caught up in the compensation issue. Myriad of ways it’s handled.

Edited by Onthefringes

1 hour ago, William Williams said:

Thought dan casey had been offered a contract and wanted to stay 

He probably has been offered a contract and maybe does want to stay but it's looking like he doesn't want to stay for the money we're offering. 

As for Cornelius, I won't be surprised if he turns out to be one of those players who get caught out by the development fee being more than what teams are willing to pay for him.

8 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

He probably has been offered a contract and maybe does want to stay but it's looking like he doesn't want to stay for the money we're offering. 

As for Cornelius, I won't be surprised if he turns out to be one of those players who get caught out by the development fee being more than what teams are willing to pay for him.

That's what I thought but forgot he'd only been with us since he was 17 was it someone said. So wont be a huge amount. Certainly not in the 400-500k range we get quoted for the boys who've been with us since 12 etc.

Like I said before, I think he will do fine and is a very serviceable player who will improve also. But I'm not hugely sad he is leaving. There are replacements out there for what Dean gave us.

Edited by eliphas

9 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Not 1st choice? Think Mr Kettlewell will have a difference of opinion. Behind Slattery? Yet, Slattery only retained his place after securing the point at Kilmarnock and when Dean picked up an injury pre-split fixtures.

Don't think his influence in our upturn can be understated. Certainly gave two you mentioned the platform to improve.

Dare say there’s a few variables on why he sees his chance to progress is away from the club. It’s up to those tasked to develop better the much lauded next batch rather than pay the process lip service.

Think some are getting caught up in the compensation issue. Myriad of ways it’s handled.

Harsh maybe. But I am mainly going on my thoughts as to his performances when he played for us. This is a million miles away from being a Josh Morris or even Connor Shields situation. I was not hoping he left, but now that it looks like he will I am not overly upset. If anything it gives us more leeway to bring in another player. 

As I said I wish him all the best, but whilst I hope we could retain the likes of Casey and Furlong I also hope quite a few in contract players move on as we need to try and get better replacements for those already in the building. A club our size and with our resources that is quite the challenge of course. 

8 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Harsh maybe. But I am mainly going on my thoughts as to his performances when he played for us. This is a million miles away from being a Josh Morris or even Connor Shields situation. I was not hoping he left, but now that it looks like he will I am not overly upset. If anything it gives us more leeway to bring in another player. 

As I said I wish him all the best, but whilst I hope we could retain the likes of Casey and Furlong I also hope quite a few in contract players move on as we need to try and get better replacements for those already in the building. A club our size and with our resources that is quite the challenge of course. 

Aye. At the end of the day a hod carrying midfielder is going to be much easier to replace than a 30 goal a season big, weird Dutchman.