Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Jamie Murphy signs 2 yr deal at Ayr Utd, so that's one injury prone ex-player returning shout we can put to bed early. (Not that he'd ever have been a Ketts signing anyway).

Good luck to him though, deserves a break on the injury front and probably more his level these days.

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Dipped into Twitter there. Ignored the weirdos. Great to see some pics on the official account of a few players looking absolutely fucked after Day 1. Big Blaney looks like he might have passed away 

Saw those pics too. How hard were they pushed, or how far off the rails did they actually go in Faliraki with pizza, shisha bongs and jugs of venom? They've only been gone about a fucking fortnight.!!

Obika was effectivish before his injury but maybe it was just playing someone to get the best out of Kev and not 40 yards away that made things rosier. Time will tell if we learned our permacrock striker lesson.

As much as many have written a few players off, Ketts has shown he can coach and play to individual strengths. So I'm at the don't know why but very glass half full when it comes to Maguire, Shields and Lamie. I will not be putting my house on it though.

I'm torn on SOD. I think he's rarely had a above average performance for us since he arrived but I put some of that down to having to temper Alexander for the best part of a year and his instructions but he wasn't great under Robbo either. Issue is he wasn't ever overly fast, he's now a year older and if we persevere with WB's (even if he doesn't have a bungee attached) it could be exploited.

I'm happy to put Slattery's hot and cold form for the past 18 months down to this off field shit, this is make or break for him in terms of a decent income from football or a jobber. What's a cert our 2021 signings of him and Kelly on three years deals will not pay off financially.

Our recurring left back search continues as is Kev's replacement. Interesting to see if we can't find a defensive midfielder if Butcher will be tasked. He got plaudits for centre half, won the coaches player of the year and maybe likes it better. A midfield of Butcher, Slattery and Spittal is an OK mix to be fair. I'd be reluctant to move Spittal deeper into the LWB position but I guess he could play it in a pinch.

Based on who we have in the building, I'd say the priorities at present are:

• Left Back/LWB
  • Main striker

Then, depending on where Butcher is envisaged being used (prob defence):

• Defensive midfielder/disruptor
  • Centre half (or a backup if Blaney is considered ready, I still harbour hopes Casey will return once he's finished rooting his American cheerleader)

Then after that it's probably wants rather than needs and moving contracted players on to get someone new in if every penny is a prisoner and our squad has quite a few guys on contract but unlikely to feature. I doubt there's much room for more forwards beyond Kev's replacement so:

• Left Back backup (let's face it McGinley is out his depth, Lamie gives not much confidence and SOD switching is not great)
  • 2 More midfielders but not at the cost of Lennon Miller's game time (seems Paton is one)

Interested to see who Ketts has got his eye on and if Frail will add anything to the search, not that we'd know.

Edited by Kapowzer

This could either be quite a novel way to announce the player's birthdays (since that's apparently something you have to do now), a wee teaser for this year's kit, or something completely fucking random that we'll never see again.

The idea of seeing Lennon Miller in the Zoom kit is giving me the fear slightly, however.

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This could either be quite a novel way to announce the player's birthdays (since that's apparently something you have to do now), a wee teaser for this year's kit, or something completely fucking random that we'll never see again.

The idea of seeing Lennon Miller in the Zoom kit is giving me the fear slightly, however.

I like it - but it's half nostalgia, half making me aware of my own mortality in new and uncomfortable ways.

Aye, I don't mind Obika signing.

He was decent at holding play up and is an out ball.

Relatively tried and tested in our league also.

Mandron looked promising his first game, scoring 2, but not really seen much from him since.

Of the 2 I'd go Obika

50 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Given they were only just back in the door yesterday I doubt they'll have done all the photo stuff and even then - if it's only Scott that's co-ordinating our content now then it seems like a massive pain in the arse for him for ultimately...not a lot of value?

If we feel we're obliged to wish players HBD then if this is what we're doing I'm into it. It's a nice look that does the job without setting my teeth on edge.

Fwiw, while I was Karen-ing yesterday about the various players that seem to have extended without a peep and also our posting a photo of Obika in the dressing room before announcing him 6 hours later - my beef wasn't with Scott as I'd guess he's got a million things being asked of him - the bulk of which probably isn't even his job.

I kind of felt a bit bad as I've been banging on about it for a while but the I'd guess that the failure is at a higher pay-grade.

I take it Flow took over some of Grant's role after he headed off to West Ham but now Burrows is out the building there seems to be a vacuum around that specific role.

So aye, for avoidance of doubt any time I've mentioned that stuff it's not a dig at the current skeleton media team who I'd guess are just doing their best and trying to crack on with things.

As you were.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I quite like that - incidentally that was my first ever kit, which my aunt got me for my 3rd birthday. I remember it being a small boys, but the bottom and the sleeves were carefully cut so that it would fit me. Baby / toddler kits mustn't have been a thing in 1993.

Indirectly related to us - although it has a strong feel of agent patter to journalists.

"He’s been generating significant interest north of the border this summer and has already knocked back offers from Motherwell, Ross county, Livingston and St Mirren. Aberdeen have also been sniffing about the defender although there’s been no further moves made by the Pittodrie boss since initial discussions with Feeney’s agents last week."

Link

Directly related to us.

Edited by capt_oats

Since Kettlewell came in, we've scored 26 goals.

All but 3 by my reckoning (Slattery v Killie, Mugabi v Rangers, Spittal v Hearts) have neither been scored nor assisted by a player who won't be at the club next season.

A lot of goals and assists to be replaced there.

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

All but 3 by my reckoning (Slattery v Killie, Mugabi v Rangers, Spittal v Hearts) have neither been scored nor assisted by a player who won't be at the club next season.

I'm still trying to parse all the double negatives in this one...

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

Those who want to get a ticket for yhe Elgin vs Motherwell match, Elgin have it on sale on their ticket plat form.

https://app.fanbaseclub.com/Fan/Dashboard

Choose Elgin and then the Motherwell game will pop up. It's £12 adults and £6 for kids/concessions

Thankyou, the season has started, 2 tickets purchased