Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

29 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

I see our groundsman has left. Wonder where he'll end up. Probably the best the pitch has been in my lifetime.

Ach well it was inevitable that a bigger club was going to come in and poach him at some point.

At least with the new hybrid pitch we don't need another miracle worker to keep it playable.

Still a big loss though.

On 05/07/2023 at 10:20, thisGRAEME said:

A bigger concern for me is him being behind Danny Johnson in the pecking order at Walsall.

Danny Johnson is still a mystery to me. Better goals to minutes ratio in the league for us than faddy, porter and Scott McDonald. On par with John Sutton. Almost 1 in 2 everywhere he goes yet he’s kicked about league 2 for a decade and is mostly remembered as being a bit shite up here. 

At the risk of destroying my credentials further, Im gonna say it….

Spoiler

I thought he was decent

Casey was very good for us, make no mistake about it, but he still only played 13 games for us, which for me hardly makes him a "must sign" for teams down south. His agent is obviously trying his hardest down there, but if anyone was that keen he'd be somewhere by now given most of the teams are either back or are going back.

I'm obviously glad that we did, but had Lamie, Mugabi and Blaney not all been injured, I'm not sure we'd have seen him at all.

I can see him joining someone like Aberdeen in a week or two, playing pre-season catch up.

6 hours ago, Swello said:

image.thumb.png.ecf3bbfa74aec2121758c44b64b12d7f.png

Would be a bit weird - but if Bohemians are really outspending us, that should be a reality check....

Cashing in on this belter I bought for about 80 euros aff them a few years ago IMO...

https://images2.bonanzastatic.com/afu/images/3aba/fc15/1811_11370320673/il_794xN.3782891522_mnsb.jpg
(stock photo, mines still back in the poke)

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Cashing in on this belter I bought for about 80 euros aff them a few years ago IMO...

https://images2.bonanzastatic.com/afu/images/3aba/fc15/1811_11370320673/il_794xN.3782891522_mnsb.jpg
(stock photo, mines still back in the poke)

They did a Fontaines D.C one anaw. €70 for this one.

BohsDC-1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1615490054

https://www.shop-bohemianfc.com/collections/replica-kit/products/adult-2021-focus-ireland-fontaines-dc-jersey-regular-fit

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, Busta Nut said:

They are fucking at it now

In fairness it's for a homeless charity.

"A partnership with Fontaines DC and Focus Ireland with 15% of shirt profits going to Focus Ireland directly. 

Homelessness does not need to be accepted and must not be normalised"

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Ach, nah.

The way I had posted it sounded like it was just a straight collab with the band.

I did open the link and check it out, I just never paid attention to the smaller writing that explained it.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

How's Aberdeen's pitch looking?

Much, much better in 6-12 months? 

genuinely pretty gutted about the groundsman going. Our pitch has been magnificent in recent years, as I like to tell the odd random fanny that still thinks our pitch is like it was 10 years ago. 

20 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

genuinely pretty gutted about the groundsman going. Our pitch has been magnificent in recent years, as I like to tell the odd random fanny that still thinks our pitch is like it was 10 years ago. 

Indeed.  Perhaps he got bored because it's now in great condition and doesn't need any interesting / difficult work done to it, it's all straightforward maintenance from now on...?  Or is that just wishful thinking 🤔

33 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

Our pitch is amazing but tbqh what does it really get us? Couple of youth or women's internationals and a smug feeling?

I'd rather our pitch was nice than not and obviously I don't want it costing us money. But until it hits, say, February 2008 level, it barely even registers with me.

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, it's not a good look but equally I'd imagine based on where we are squad wise at the moment our priorities in terms of how we allocate our budget will probably be directed at other areas of the park rather than a 7th centre back.

Basically what @Al B said above.

It's a bit like when Salford offered us cash to take Adam Rooney off our hands. We'd been trying to offload him during the summer but it suddenly turned us in to a laughing stock.

If we were starting from scratch Casey would maybe be the first name on my team sheet but I can understand not pushing the boat out for him in the circumstances. 

Assuming we stick to a back 3- we know McGinn is basically fine for the time being, Butcher will be out for a while and might still be considered a midfielder but could slot in too. Blaney is still a bit of an unknown but seems highly thought of. Mugabe and Lamie are shaky but aren't so completely horrendous that they can't play a role as backups or (one of them) as part of a 3 with two better defenders.

I'm not exactly shouting from the rooftops about our centre-back options but if money is as tight as it is then I'd rather it went towards left backs and midfielders rather than augmenting an area we're already heavy in.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

57 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

According to someone over on SO who seems to be in the know, he's going to work as a sales rep for some foreign company (presumably in the pitch maintenance industry?)

21 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

If we were starting from scratch Casey would maybe be the first name on my team sheet but I can understand not pushing the boat out for him in the circumstances. 

Assuming we stick to a back 3- we know McGinn is basically fine for the time being, Butcher will be out for a while and might still be considered a midfielder but could slot in too. Blaney is still a bit of an unknown but seems highly thought of. Mugabe and Lamie are shaky but aren't so completely horrendous that they can't play a role as backups or (one of them) as part of a 3 with two better defenders.

I'm not exactly shouting from the rooftops about our centre-back options but if money is as tight as it is then I'd rather it went towards left backs and midfielders rather than augmenting an area we're already heavy in.

This is it for me tbh.

Like, I get the shouts that Casey's thought of as being *better* than Lamie and Mugabi but that's kind of missing the point in so much as they're looking like squad options now. The question is not only whether he's better than McGinn but whether or not he'd be able to play the same sort of role in the back 3 or whether he's materially better than Blaney or if he's that good he's worth potentially blocking a pathway for Campbell.

I'd imagine that if one of either Lamie or Mugabi were away then our offer to Casey would probably look different but they're not. They've both got another year and Blaney has another 2 years.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd like him to stick around not at the cost of eating up the budget we have left for other areas of the park.

Edited by capt_oats