Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

29 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Seems to be no mention of Joe Efford anywhere. Is he really out the picture, injured again or going back to the States as rumours have it.

He's not mentioned in the injured/doubtful part of this weeks match preview.

Any idea where Tierney was on tuesday?

18 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

He's not mentioned in the injured/doubtful part of this weeks match preview.

Any idea where Tierney was on tuesday?

Aye strange one.

Am I right in thinking that Tierney is the only player from the recognised 1st team squad that hasn't had any game time yet( with the exception of Efford and Shields who both might be away).

Fully expected to see him at some stage in the opening 2 games.

Edited by santheman

11 minutes ago, Desp said:

Was the chat not that Tierney was with his missus as she's having their 14th wean?

He posted up a photo of the wean on his IG on the 15th so that would check out if he's been given some time off as the wean was apparently born on the 14th and he was on the bench in Elgin on the 15th.

Congratulations etc.

Edited by capt_oats

I like Tierney as a player but not sure how he fits into Kettlewell's shape. Are there signs he might change shape? He mentioned looking to bring in some wide players - unless he's talking about wing-backs that is surprising as he sidelined all Hammell's wide players when he came in.

Have we been playing with his usual 3/5 at the back?

Aye from being at both games? We stuck with the 532/352 for the entire duration. In Elgin we started with Blaney, Mugabi and O’Donnell as the back 3 with Ross on the right and Wilson on the left. QotS we had Lamie, Mugabi and McGinn in the middle, with O’Donnell on the right and Souare on the left. The midfield remained unchanged, Spittal on the left, Slattery on the right with Miller sitting a bit deeper in the role Goss played in for the last few months of the season. Obika up top with either Wilkinson or Ferrie.

On the Lamie/Mugabi stuff, I thought they were genuinely as bad as each other and were beyond woeful. Despite the rest of the backline not having the best of games? They were made to look far worse by receiving horrid passes from the calamity couple, and playing out from the back with them looked like it put the the entire team on edge. Normally very calm about things but genuinely never want to see either of them play for us again. Beyond frustrating 

12 minutes ago, CSmith said:

Aye from being at both games? We stuck with the 532/352 for the entire duration. In Elgin we started with Blaney, Mugabi and O’Donnell as the back 3 with Ross on the right and Wilson on the left. QotS we had Lamie, Mugabi and McGinn in the middle, with O’Donnell on the right and Souare on the left. The midfield remained unchanged, Spittal on the left, Slattery on the right with Miller sitting a bit deeper in the role Goss played in for the last few months of the season. Obika up top with either Wilkinson or Ferrie.

On the Lamie/Mugabi stuff, I thought they were genuinely as bad as each other and were beyond woeful. Despite the rest of the backline not having the best of games? They were made to look far worse by receiving horrid passes from the calamity couple, and playing out from the back with them looked like it put the the entire team on edge. Normally very calm about things but genuinely never want to see either of them play for us again. Beyond frustrating 

7 years service between the two of them. If that's no rewarding mediocrity then f**k knows what is. 

Efford is a puzzling one. No mentions from anywhere within / out with the club on why he is nowhere to be seen. Is he injured again or has he asked to move on. All a bit strange.

If Shields is also away then I absolutely understand the focus on another striker. I got the impression the way Kettlewell was talking on BBC recently that this striker would be the number one as in replacement for Van Veen. I hope this is true.

Also it is baffling that there is nothing solid on Max Johnston. Almost as if the Sturm Graz move has hit a problem somewhere along the way. 

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

Also it is baffling that there is nothing solid on Max Johnston. Almost as if the Sturm Graz move has hit a problem somewhere along the way.

This is the point where agent hype meets reality (still think he’ll get a good move though). 

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

This is the point where agent hype meets reality (still think he’ll get a good move though). 

As far as I can gather it’s actually kind of the opposite. There is that much interest from varying countries he actually has an embarrassment of riches to choose from. 

Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, France and Portugal all options for him. 

The last I read was that Brest had entered the race and that the deal from Sturm Graz was still to be ratified by their Board or similar.

It would be good news for us if he joined a Category 1 club so we received 90k Euros rather than 60k per training compensation year. 

E9356569-B194-4827-AEEE-57236628F4FF.png

Edited by welldaft

There's a bit of me that thinks that Alexander extended loads of average-at-best players' contracts on purpose.

Not to the deliberate detriment of the team, but with a dose of realism that players of limited ability would be happy to go out and play with his style, or lack thereof, if it meant a two-year deal with a Premiership club. Those with a bit about them might not have fancied hanging around for that, or offered a dissenting voice if they had.

If Alexander had hung around, there's no way Max Johnston would be interesting Brest and Sturm Graz, if he'd been constantly shelling the ball forward and rarely crossing the half way line.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

32 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Or transfers are far more complicated, and take longer, than people think?

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Or transfers are far more complicated, and take longer, than people think?

I pay my 10 quid a month to the 'Well Society therefore I must be informed whenever anyone at the club does so much as go for a shite. 

Honestly not even that much of an exaggeration of certain elements of our support. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

The last I read was that Brest had entered the race and that the deal from Sturm Graz was still to be ratified by their Board or similar.

It would be good news for us if he joined a Category 1 club so we received 90k Euros rather than 60k per training compensation year. 

E9356569-B194-4827-AEEE-57236628F4FF.png

You'd have to imagine he'd be looking seriously at Brest.