Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

It'll be gutting if Biereth is out for any length of time but surely if that's the case we can end his loan early and (assuming we're paying some, if not all, of his wages) use the money to get someone else in? 

Aye I'd think so. Might also put paid to Arsenal sending any lads up for a while as well.

We simply cant go into the season proper playing the current system with Wilkinson and Bair as our strikers. Even stopping any Efford move to St J wouldn't really solve it as he doesn't fit in the current system. 

So we need to either - get another two strikers in to cover Mika and Obika. Or, change the system to get Efford involved and get one more in (just kid on to him we've not been trying to punt him for weeks). 

Quite the pickle when your completely wed to one way of playing 

Edited by eliphas

34 minutes ago, eliphas said:

He doesn't slip. He pushes off his right leg and stretches into a tackle.

At the same time, it's also not a premeditated Vinnie Jones tackle studs up, flying through the air or anything.

His right leg clatters Mika which is part of his body and therefore the tackle. It doesn't cease to exist 

Clumsy can equal endangering an opponent

All these things are true and dont mean one of the other things didnt happen. 

Not everything is black and white. (That's also a pun, you are welcome)

That's barely a foul.

I think it's an over the top challenge and dangerous. But can it not be a shocking tackle and not meant to cause injury at the same time? 

If Dunne has meant that then it's one of the rare occasions where he's actually achieved what he set out to do on a football pitch. 

Hopefully Mika isn't out for too long, as that'll be a huge blow for us. Fingers crossed it's not as bad as it seemed after initial checks. 

I was away for the weekend and didn't see or follow the game in anyway, but I've since looked at the challenge a few times.  IMO, it's not a malicious challenge.  With the greatest respect to Charlie Dunne, who we all like, he's not good enough to be that kind of player.  Clumsy?  Absolutely.  He's clearly gone in to take ball, man, the lot, and if he's playing for my team and we're defending a 1-0 lead in a cup tie with a few minutes to go, I'm giving him a standing ovation for that challenge.

However, the problem arises in the follow through.  "Well, where else can he go?" is a fair enough response but I don't even think Dunne thought about that before going in.  He wanted to win the ball and that was that.  It's a combination of Dunne just being a big clumsy fucker (albeit a wonderful man) mixed in with a horrendous bit of bad luck.  Hopefully it doesn't end up too bad for Mika or we can kiss goodbye any other Arsenal prospects heading our way in future years! 

52 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

That is a great tackle from Dunne. Motherwell boy was unfortunate to come out of it with an injury.

It's not a foul or a red card though. That's just crazy talk.

:lol: 

Okay!

16 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Dunne slips.

11 hours ago, billyg said:

but he did take the ball , and he didn't follow through with his right foot either. 

10 hours ago, billyg said:

He went with his left for the ball , it wasn't two footed , that is as clear as day !

2 hours ago, Ric said:

However let us be very very clear, Kettlewell is talking complete and utter shit when he says,  it is an "absolutely horrendous tackle", "two footed" or "straight legged".

58 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

It's not a foul or a red card though. That's just crazy talk.

Between prehistoric shouts of "he got the ball" and thinking it matters if he slipped or not, the St Mirren fans are posting slow mo videos of Dunne leaping off the ground and clattering Mika with both feet, you've got to know these guys are at the wind up. P&Bs original jesters.

:lol:

Video evidence that categorically debunks your manager's claim, yet the Motherwell fans would rather throw insults than accept they over-reacted like their manager.

Clumsy? Yes. Should have been a free-kick? Yes. Could have been a yellow? Yes. These are all things we know and expect from Dunne, he did exactly the same for Motherwell as he does for us.

Red card? No chance. "Worst tackle ever", you're having a laugh.

I look forward to a retrospective review of the incident, because..  you know, without it, one might suggest it is hardly the world ending tackle that some may consider it to be.

Edited by Ric

11 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Dunne and Mugabe (probably others tbf, I've stopped following footballers on Instagram) were liking pro-Benjamin Mendy stuff a while ago. 

This isn't meant as a judgement on the tackle, or to trivialise something much more serious than football either. Just an observation on "nice guy" footballers.

All a footballer needs to do to get the "genuine nice guy" tag is take a few photos with fans, it's an incredibly low bar

11 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

He’s rattled him with his right knee after wiping him out with his left foot. It was out of control and excessive going by the rules of the game.

Tbh I didn’t see the McGinn tackle as I was too busy going off my nut at Dunne.

McGinn challenge is shown here from main camera.

Not a clever challenge at all. Strain has flicked up and gone past and he's wildly high and caught him on the shin. 

Folk can go on about the maybes and maybe nots of whether what Dunne did was with intent or whether he slipped and if it's dangerous but McGinn, from that evidence has most definitely gone to do Strain after the ball is gone which is honestly, really disappointing as he's never struck me as that type of player.

In slight mitigation of McGinn, he does go and check on Strain afterwards but he knows it's a fucking shoddy challenge he's just made.

Edited by djchapsticks

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

McGinn challenge is shown here from main camera.

Not a clever challenge at all. Strain has flicked up and gone past and he's wildly high and caught him on the shin. 

Folk can go on about the maybes and maybe nots of whether what Dunne did was with intent or whether he slipped and if it's dangerous but McGinn, from that evidence has most definitely gone to do Strain after the ball is gone which is honestly, really disappointing as he's never struck me as that type of player.

In slight mitigation of McGinn, he does go and check on Strain afterwards but he knows it's a fucking shoddy challenge he's just made.

Not sure on the exact ruling etc to be honest but the game was dead at this point. So maybe that's why there was no action? Also no excusing it, it was wild.

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Not sure on the exact ruling etc to be honest but the game was dead at this point. So maybe that's why there was no action? Also no excusing it, it was wild.

McGinn got booked for it so it was punished.

I mentioned on Saturday night before replays that Collum could have conceivably sent both off but chose neither. 

1 minute ago, D-Fens Foster said:

Would never wish serious injury on any player but would be very interested tae see St Mirren fan’s reactions if that Dunne “challenge” put one of their main players out for months. It was wild, out of control and dangerous. Clumsy ? 🤦‍♂️

It's all those things. 

It's clumsy, wildly, out of control and dangerous. It's Chilli-D baby. 

bUt hE gOt ThE bALl aNd mCgiNN dId a bAd tHiNg tOo. 

Sigh