Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Aye, if the Burns tweet is accurate, meaning Penney still has doubts about living/moving up here to play fitba then i wouldn't bother either. Kind of answers my question from my previous post about it

23 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I said on Twitter/X I'd tell Penney to f**k off. Hanging on to be his back up is baws. 

Gent is fine in there and we really need to look at a RB. 

3 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Indeed. With Casey, Miller and Slattery all out and Butcher unreliable Maguire and McGinley might end up needing to play! 

Said this the other day. 

Sobering thought when we might have Kelly in his current form, SODs, Mugabi, McGinley, Maguire, Butcher, Paton and Obika playing in the same team. That’s us utter relegation material right there. 

6 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

We paid a fee for Slattery right? 

He hasn’t quite kicked on unfortunately after a promising start to this season. Blooming shame for him if he is out long term. 

Would insurance money cover his wages so we can get a replacement? I don’t know how those things work.

I think that summer we signed Kelly, for a small fee, on high wages, with the hope we would sell him and I reckon although the wages are probably a bit lower than Kelly's, it's probably a similar scenario with Slattery.

He's got a high ceiling and a low floor for me. Prior to hearing about his injury, I thought the end of this season would have been a natural parting of ways. I'd imagine we put him at the higher end of the payscale on the gamble it would make us a transfer fee and now that hasn't come to fruition, I would question if renewing his contract at the same rank of the payscale that he's on currently would be worth it.

As for insurance, I don't think it does if he gets injured on our watch. The only time I've heard of insurance coming in to play was when Saunders got injured for the season whilst on international duty with the under 21s and we were able to bring in Clancy for the season with the money.

13 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Said this the other day. 

Sobering thought when we might have Kelly in his current form, SODs, Mugabi, McGinley, Maguire, Butcher, Paton and Obika playing in the same team. That’s us utter relegation material right there. 

So for all our relegations rivals the scores on the door appear to be (so far):

Ross County 2 in and 5 out = 3 players down

St Johnstone 3 in and 4 out = I player down 

Livingston 2 in and 3 out = 1 player down.

Motherwell 0 in and 5 out = 5 players down.

Not panicking. Not me. Not yet. 

This winter window is the most crucial since well the last one. But we need 5 players to replace those that have left. We already admitted we needed 2 in to bolster the squad. That is before we learn that Slattery could be missing for the rest of the season.

So at least 6 or 7 players that can contribute or questions will need to be asked 😳

9 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

An average of slightly over 3 fouls per game, I'm surprised it's not higher. 

He's played 1569 league minutes this season so it works out at him being fouled every 24.9 minutes.

Screenshot2024-01-13at17_11_56.thumb.png.436be0c7b0c4ddd5b4036093cd51d6c9.png

34 minutes ago, welldaft said:

So for all our relegations rivals the scores on the door appear to be (so far):

Ross County 2 in and 5 out = 3 players down

St Johnstone 3 in and 4 out = I player down 

Livingston 2 in and 3 out = 1 player down.

Motherwell 0 in and 5 out = 5 players down.

Not panicking. Not me. Not yet. 

This winter window is the most crucial since well the last one. But we need 5 players to replace those that have left. We already admitted we needed 2 in to bolster the squad. That is before we learn that Slattery could be missing for the rest of the season.

So at least 6 or 7 players that can contribute or questions will need to be asked 😳

Who are you counting as outs? Mahon? He wasn’t really in, and others are back from loans, would they count? Not that we want them particularly.  If we were fully geared up for this window I would have hoped for players in for the first week of January, I fear we will end up with the waifs and unwanted strays that are left at the end of the month.  Is a transfer deadline day signing a show of desperation or patience?

Edited by ropy

34 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I really don't think that is all that remarkable. He's been doing it since he arrived at the club.

I'm pretty sure in his first season he was top of both the "most fouled" and "most fouls committed" charts. Oh captain, my captain.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think that summer we signed Kelly, for a small fee, on high wages, with the hope we would sell him and I reckon although the wages are probably a bit lower than Kelly's, it's probably a similar scenario with Slattery.

He's got a high ceiling and a low floor for me. Prior to hearing about his injury, I thought the end of this season would have been a natural parting of ways. I'd imagine we put him at the higher end of the payscale on the gamble it would make us a transfer fee and now that hasn't come to fruition, I would question if renewing his contract at the same rank of the payscale that he's on currently would be worth it.

It still tickles me that it was Alexander who signed him (and Goss) given the way #Grezza wanted to set up and play vs Slattery's strengths and the fact that he's someone who broadly wants to get on the ball (and be fouled).

Agree that he has a high ceiling and that much is clear when you look at his CV (Toulon tournament etc) and you're probably right about the low floor part as well however I think he's someone who fits into a team set to play a specific way.

I'd genuinely be curious to know which players are closest to him in similarity of profile. He has quite a specific skillset.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

Said this the other day. 

Nae need for posting such grim negativity mate.

We'll just have to try and score more than the other team

Edited by SteelyDosser

51 minutes ago, ropy said:

Who are you counting as outs? Mahon? He wasn’t really in, and others are back from loans, would they count? Not that we want them particularly.  If we were fully geared up for this window I would have hoped for players in for the first week of January, I fear we will end up with the waifs and unwanted strays that are left at the end of the month.  Is a transfer deadline day signing a show of desperation or patience?

Aye. We've seen 3 players you'd genuinely label as 'out' - Souaré, Spencer and Wilkinson.

Folk like Maguire, McGinley coming back plus Mahon etc leaving really just speaks to the idea of how mental our squad sizes have been for years if you're wanting to run a Reserve side in erm...Reserve?

It feels like a lot of the the undeniable bloat we've carried has been precisely that *type* of player. Did we really need a Petravicius or Manzinga, a Harry Robinson or even a George Newell? In hindsight they just ended up here to pad out the squad.

Tbh, as far as whether a deadline day siging is a show of desperation or patience, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. It depends on the player we get in.

Edited by capt_oats

20 minutes ago, Marinello said:

When it rains it pours!

From an impeccable source I'm hearing Mika has in the last few days been down to Sunderland and a Sheffield team.

And possibly linked , our interest in Main is definite.

If that's the case, it means he's been recalled and the club hasn't informed the fans.

46 minutes ago, Marinello said:

When it rains it pours!

From an impeccable source I'm hearing Mika has in the last few days been down to Sunderland and a Sheffield team.

And possibly linked , our interest in Main is definite.

It is understandable that Biereth feels threatened by the emergence of Bair and he is looking at his options.  He will come to the conclusion that being part of the BB strike force is best for his development.