Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Defintley. 

The challenge really is that the money we'd need to likely contribute to a wage for him, even a small % to them, will be a big % to us. 

So we kind of need to either know he's coming now, as in right now, or rule the whole thing out I reckon.t

If the latter, settle for the fact if he ends up arriving it's either financed by Jim McMahon/someone or we are getting him for nothing/very minimal contribitions because Groningen can't put him anywhere else and really really want him gone for a bit. 

However, bigger wages for Feb to May may be possible as a one off 

13 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

When are Blaney and Casey back? I don't love our CB options but unless they start regularly putting in Zak Jules against Dundee performances I'm not sure I'd be prioritising replacing any of them in this window.

I agree in that is a position where we have numbers / cover. But the biggest issue this season has been conceding soft as **** goals almost in every game. Saturday against Alloa another case in point. So leaving as is will likely result in similar outcomes. 

I listened to a Killie fan on SSB the other night saying they just don’t look like conceding goals at the moment. They say (and who am I to argue) that to build a successful team you start at the back. 

Not saying the CB are all to blame. Kelly has made a mess a few times. But since we are not going to replace him I don’t think it would be a bad idea to try and find an Aldred type. Casey and Butcher both look a long way off the levels they reached end of last season. 

I tend to agree that it may not happen but I would like it too. 

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

So long Toby...

No harm to him but I'd put McGinley in with Straker and Joe Chalmers as our worst left back of recent times. Seems a nice guy but he had no redeeming features as a footballer. 

I’m sure Nathan McGinley played televised friendlies against Rangers and I didn’t rate him then was surprised he was signed. Seemed a nice lad, all the best to him hope he can stay fit and get some minutes under him. 

13 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Fag packet stuff but if we pay KVV £6k a week- not suggesting that's the best use of our cash tbf- that'd be about £100kish between now and the end of May. Surely that's less than we'd be spending on a fee and wages for Nouble? 

£100k to ward off relegation seems a reasonable amount. 

3 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Signing McGinley? I can give the club a pass, he's a left back with height and some pace, so was worth a punt. Extending his contract, however? Nope.

Genuine madness from Alexander. Should’ve got his jotters for that alone. 

4 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Genuine madness from Alexander. Should’ve got his jotters for that alone. 

The point when we had Carroll and McGinley on the books at lb having extended them both was an utterly wtf moment.

5 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

£100k to ward off relegation seems a reasonable amount. 

It obviously is but the question is whether spending that 100k elsewhere wouldn't ward off relegation and also bring some medium-term rerun. 

Tbh I go both ways on it...I tend to think we're better off moving on, then I remember Kettlewell's summer efforts for the attack the devil we know doesn't seem quite as bad.

There's loads of potential contract clauses that we wouldn't know about, that stop us from doing things like that though. As an example, your highest paid player(s) may have clauses to say that if someone comes in on a higher wage, theirs has a trigger to match it.

Bringing in one player on significantly more than everyone else has the potential to hugely unsettle a squad, and have the senior players, captain and vice captain requesting a meeting. Wage structures don't just relate to what's available for the playing staff as a whole, but to make sure the salaries are appropriately proportionate throughout it.

You wonder how the dressing room would react to the lazy moany c**t up front earning 4 times more than all them when theyre losing regularly but theyre still being asked to do the hard yards so he can just stand up front and poach.

2 hours ago, Al B said:

There's loads of potential contract clauses that we wouldn't know about, that stop us from doing things like that though. As an example, your highest paid player(s) may have clauses to say that if someone comes in on a higher wage, theirs has a trigger to match it.

Bringing in one player on significantly more than everyone else has the potential to hugely unsettle a squad, and have the senior players, captain and vice captain requesting a meeting. Wage structures don't just relate to what's available for the playing staff as a whole, but to make sure the salaries are appropriately proportionate throughout it.

That clause im sure Lampard and Terry had at Chelsea. After RA took over they went from £50k pw to around £175k pw after two transfers. They had it that they automatically because the highest payed players by £1k a week. That is savvy business sense. 

Edited by wellboy1991

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You wonder how the dressing room would react to the lazy moany c**t up front earning 4 times more than all them when theyre losing regularly but theyre still being asked to do the hard yards so he can just stand up front and poach.

The dressing room could be reminded of the fact that the "lazy moany c**t up front" is basically the only reason they're currently playing Premiership football with Motherwell right now.

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I’m sure they’d be okay with it when the other option is their wages being halved when we’re punted to the Championship.