Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Al B said:

There's loads of potential contract clauses that we wouldn't know about, that stop us from doing things like that though. As an example, your highest paid player(s) may have clauses to say that if someone comes in on a higher wage, theirs has a trigger to match it.

Bringing in one player on significantly more than everyone else has the potential to hugely unsettle a squad, and have the senior players, captain and vice captain requesting a meeting. Wage structures don't just relate to what's available for the playing staff as a whole, but to make sure the salaries are appropriately proportionate throughout it.

I agree with all of this. It goes without saying that I'd welcome him back within our wage structure. I'd be less inclined to pay him three times what we were this time last season in an "SOS" attempt. 

He was unbelievable in the second half of last season, up there with the best periods I'd ever seen a Motherwell player have, but you have to factor in other variables to that - the manager changing, the team picking up, playing in a front two, the form of Spittal, Goss, Furlong and Johnston behind him. He was undoubtedly the cherry on top but there were a lot of moving parts in to making that happen.

I'd fear all of our eggs going into the basket and he gets injured in his first game, or he scores 2 league goals (1 from open play) like he did in the second half of the 21/22 season, or he goes months between goals like he did in the first half of last season (August v Kilmarnock, October v Ross County, December v Killie were the three consecutive league games he scored in at one point).

If we do push the boat out for him, there's this pressure on him to be outstanding. Every time he gets the ball, our impatient supporters will be expecting something magic to happen. Every team we play will nullify him as tactic number one and having seen his huffs before, that's going to get him cranky.

We definitely need to be sensible and build some sort of contingency in to our plans. 

55 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The dressing room could be reminded of the fact that the "lazy moany c**t up front" is basically the only reason they're currently playing Premiership football with Motherwell right now.

25 minutes ago, dezz said:

I’m sure they’d be okay with it when the other option is their wages being halved when we’re punted to the Championship. 

These only work if hes actually a success. If he flops and isnt helping then what?

My vibeschecker says his knee implodes before he even gets fit too. 

Courier saying you wanted Zak Rudden on loan as well as every club in the Championship except Dundee United. We've knocked you back though because we don't want him playing for a divisional rival. Dunno how true that is, but that's what the Courier is saying.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Courier saying you wanted Zak Rudden on loan as well as every club in the Championship except Dundee United. We've knocked you back though because we don't want him playing for a divisional rival. Dunno how true that is, but that's what the Courier is saying.

The wording of that is *really* fucking weird.

Still under contract until 2025, Rudden’s employers are not keen for the 23-year-old to join a rival team in the Premiership.

That appears to have ruled out a potential move from Motherwell.

It doesn't actually say we're interested it just says it rules out a potential move. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd put Rudden in the same bracket as Connor Shields. Does a job at Championship level but completely out his depth in the Premiership. 

If that's the level we're looking at just relegate us now. 

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The wording of that is *really* fucking weird.

It doesn't actually say we're interested it just says it rules out a potential move. :lol:

I mean, if you want to give us a bag of tracksuits snd some balls for him, I'm sure you can have him permanently.

It rings a bell hearing Ricky Foster talking on the radio about attending a Dundee game and saying "Zak Rudden sorted me tickets" (they'll have played together at Partick), I hope that's not the link.

I tend to be objective to most people we sign or are rumoured to sign, on the strength of the fact I don't watch other teams enough to really properly know, but I'd make an exception here, I've been thoroughly unimpressed every time I've seen Zak Rudden.

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It rings a bell hearing Ricky Foster talking on the radio about attending a Dundee game and saying "Zak Rudden sorted me tickets" (they'll have played together at Partick), I hope that's not the link.

I tend to be objective to most people we sign or are rumoured to sign, on the strength of the fact I don't watch other teams enough to really properly know, but I'd make an exception here, I've been thoroughly unimpressed every time I've seen Zak Rudden.

When Dundee signed ahead of us in January 22, I'd have been happy if we'd got him. I'd not seen enough of him to be sure but his record suggested he was a worthwhile gamble.

Thankfully he proved me wrong at Dundee rather than with us.

I guess if - thinking in mega hypotheticals - we're losing Shaw and Obika, either because we're somehow punting him or don't expect him ever to be fit, the usual caveats apply to our fourth pick attacking signing. Whoever that is will be shite and Rudden at least seems to run around. Would still very much rather avoid though.

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Is the capitalisation of "Shocked" more #ITKbusta hints?

#ITK

Not not at all. Keying error, I read all I know on twitter anyway. I just meant how long it took. Considering previous

Edited by Busta Nut

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If I was Dundee I'd be thrilled to send Rudden to a rival in the same league.

Reminds me of that time that we allowed Jordan White to move onto Ross County much to the delight of every well fan but within a fortnight he had scored in wins against Hamilton and Celtic. 

We tried to put Dundee in the keech by loaning them Lamie you'd think they would happily return the favour.

11 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

There is something stopping me jumping on the KVV bus. Hard to say if it’s realism, pessimism or a brain defect tbh. 

You're not on the bus now, but you'll be in your motor outside Fir Park on the 31st at 11:30pm taking photos of guys with beards.

38 minutes ago, Swello said:

You're not on the bus now, but you'll be in your motor outside Fir Park on the 31st at 11:30pm taking photos of guys with beards.

The guy who normally posts the deadline day late night, out of focus grainy images off a 20 year old Nokia will not be pleased.

I don't think he's been away long enough to merit the sort of misty eyed romanticism that Moult coming back did- for me at least. More just that we need somebody who can score 5 or 6 goals between now and the end of the season and he's the obvious candidate. If he does want to score every single week then that's fine too.