Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

35 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

but there probably needs to be some sort of accountability as far as process goes; were we unrealistic in our targets, did we leave things too late, was it financial etc?

I mean, it's possible we now just don't pay enough to be remotely competitive. Or were unlucky.

But I would assume (dangerous I know) we felt summer showed the risk of signing players for the sake of it and decided to save the money. Think of it as KVV at Killie in reverse. We've seen Bair improve, we know Livingston are 12th, we knew we had Shaw potentially back as third/fourth pick. If we didn't feel happy with the value we were getting, why push the boat out in being ambitious for eighth?

I doubt it's quite as clinically thought out but it would tie in to idle thoughts I had about so many others supposedly having more money than us. I don't think it means instant doom but it does mean we pick and choose the seasons we're ambitious and the seasons we just have to endure. Going 5th-10th-4th-9th is much better than going 6-7-6-7...if we have a season we're weaker and others stronger, spend the least possible in aiming for 10th so that when we're better again and others fade, we have the money to spend trying to convert a safe midtable finish into a European spot. It's not risk free and requires planning, adaptability and nerve...but until Taylor Swift does pick up the phone, I don't see much alternative.

Tldr: we shouldn't aim for 5th-8th every season anymore, we should flexibly aim (roughly) for two to three seasons 9th-10th and one top five out of every three to four year window.

2 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Also, I can't imagine many players,  unattached or otherwise, are going to be jumping through hoops to become our third or fourth choice striker. 

I'd jump through hoops to be our sixth choice striker.

Sadly won't happen.  Can't jump at all let alone through a frickin' hoop at the moment

(Knee)

And I don't think I'd fit through the hoop

(Fat)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Played football last night for the first time in ages, hacked a few folk and scored a belter. Also had to drive home left footed because my knee was on fire. This probably puts me in contention for the 5th/6th striker, because I'm a free agent.

I just can’t see an Oli Shaw redemption arc but you never know.

I never thought the Bair would score anywhere near double figures this season so?

Edited by Gianfranco

59 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I just can’t see an Oli Shaw redemption arc but you never know.

I never thought the Bair would score anywhere near double figures this season so?

To be fair if Kettlewell thinks he can perform the same witchcraft he has with Bair on Shaw then who am I to question him

I get it, I suppose, as we all pretty much said, running with two strikers + broken Jon is too risky.  If we have no options, which we clearly don't, Shaw does bring experience if we end up down to bare (Bair...lol) bones.

My only concern is it restricts Ferrie and others completely probably. 

22 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I get it, I suppose, as we all pretty much said, running with two strikers + broken Jon is too risky.  If we have no options, which we clearly don't, Shaw does bring experience if we end up down to bare (Bair...lol) bones.

My only concern is it restricts Ferrie and others completely probably. 

Ferrie is only 17 and  I don’t think his loan at Stenny was up to much. He certainly has the potential to come good in a few years time but right now he is miles off 1st team quality .

3 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Ferrie is only 17 and  I don’t think his loan at Stenny was up to much. He certainly has the potential to come good in a few years time but right now he is miles off 1st team quality .

Yeah that's the jist I got as well from reading bits and bobs. Ross looks like a wee boy too. So I do get why Shaw is back. It's just a shame it probably restricts those boys development a bit. May be a moot point if Kettlewell thinks they are miles off it anyway 

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't want Oli Shaw above Jack Vale in the pecking order. 
Based on 10 minutes v 4 months

Surely no chance of that. I mean, a 10 min cameo isn't much to go on, but between Vale's first touch being to go through a County players ankle and then him actually putting the ball in the net, I'm sticking my neck out and saying it was easily more than the powder puff Shaw achieved in half a season. Vale is firmly in possession of the deputy's badge, surely.

3 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I just had a swatch at Ferrie's Transfermarkt and he's actually played more minutes for us this season than he managed at Stenny.

I think the plan was always to keep Shaw, they just had to go through a “very unlucky not to sign another striker” saga to get people thinking “maybe he wasn’t that bad”.  The board might be rudderless but if that was their game it seems to have worked with a fair portion of people. 

I’d be delighted for him to kick on from here, but I’ve seen nothing to lead me to believe that’ll happen. 

I don't mind him being back as much as back up option. His chances will be extremely limited given obviously he'll have Bair and Vale ahead of him and you've also now got Nicholson as an attacking option aswell (should we continue with one up top and 2 attacking mids) 

55 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

I think the plan was always to keep Shaw, they just had to go through a “very unlucky not to sign another striker” saga to get people thinking “maybe he wasn’t that bad”.  The board might be rudderless but if that was their game it seems to have worked with a fair portion of people. 

I mean, maybe I’m not giving everyone involved enough credit but I’d be surprised if we Costanza-d Shaw.

Dunno, it feels more likely that we’ve just gone back to Barnsley as an absolute last resort after we’ve missed our targets than us terminating his loan with the intention of gaslighting everyone by bringing him back and pretending nothing happened.

Edited by capt_oats

10 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

If Shaw is ineligible to go elsewhere and Barnsley have basically sent him back up almost free gratis, I can see Kettlewell's thinking in having an extra body to make up the numbers in training and bounce games. Would not expect to see him take the field again though unless Bair and Vale's legs fall off.

They’d still have stumps though so I’d be inclined to persevere. 

I’m sure Kettlewell will clear it up in his next press conference

“a scenario came forward that benefitted the situations of both football clubs at this minute in time and the aspects of the deal that we had with the player before are in a different thought process than the one the football club had previously….. “ (and so on)

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, maybe I’m not giving everyone involved enough credit but I’d be surprised if we Costanza-d Shaw.

Dunno, it feels more likely that we’ve just gone back to Barnsley as an absolute last resort after we’ve missed our targets than us terminating his loan with the intention of gaslighting everyone by bringing him back and pretending nothing happened.

Probably true, but I prefer a convoluted “masterplan” everyday of the week. Makes the board seem more competent in a way 😆

3 hours ago, Ceiling Granny said:

Probably true, but I prefer a convoluted “masterplan” everyday of the week. Makes the board seem more competent in a way 😆

See, the more I’ve thought about it; George quit then went back pretending nothing happened after he realised he wasn’t getting another job. We’ve terminated little Oli’s loan and sent him back to Barnsley before bringing him back after all our other options fell through saying “Oh, yeah there was always a chance this could happen”.

I don’t think we were ever playing 4D chess or anything but it actually *is* the Costanza move we’ve pulled. :lol:

Edited by capt_oats