Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think the majority of abuse that SOD got earlier on in the season was less because of his performances but more that he was playing every week and Kettlewell was forcing Spencer to left back and keeping Gent on the bench.

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I think the majority of abuse that SOD got earlier on in the season was less because of his performances but more that he was playing every week and Kettlewell was forcing Spencer to left back and keeping Gent on the bench.

Not just this season. He got a very hard time when Alexander was manager and his form did dip to the point he wasn't starting for us but I think the criticism has been completely disproportionate tbh. 

Edited by Wellin

3 minutes ago, Wellin said:

Not just this season. He got a very hard time when Alexander was manager and his form did dip to the point he wasn't starting for us but I think the criticism has been completely disproportionate tbh. 

I mean, if rumours were to be believed I don't think he was dropped solely for his performances. 

5 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I mean, if rumours were to be believed I don't think he was dropped solely for his performances. 

I couldn't care less about rumours to do with any of our players. 

Edited by Wellin

This was discussed a wee while back but our defence as a unit is just not good enough and tough decisions required. All the individuals I think have plus points but some of them need to go to clear the decks 

Casey and Blaney are here next season so I'd take that as given. 

I'd bin Bevis and Butcher. Harsh on Bevis maybe but he's not good enough at thelis level consistently. Butcher is done 

McGinn and O'Donnell. Hmm. We probably keep one for back up and general utility. Ideally I'd keep McGinn I think and bin SOD.

Edited by eliphas

I remember when SOD signed it was felt it was a good bit of business, local guy, part of a very successful Clarke Killie team and Scottish internationalist off the back of it too. He now has 120 appearances for us (averaging 30 per season), my gut says out of those I've maybe seen him perform at or above a 7 out of 10 in 20ish of those games.

At Killie and Scotland he was used as a wingback very effectively then arrives here to play under three managers who were rigid to almost being blinkered in favouring a back four. While for the past 14 months we've played with a back 5, he is getting oder and his already limited speed is diminishing, a bit of a major factor in that role.

We can't ignore as club captain he stood up to Alexander's mentalness (as you'd hope within reason and if done correctly) and paid a price professionally. I can't fault his off field stuff, he is a fine statesman for the club and his integrity and likability as a man is unquestionable. As a footballer at our level if we wish to progress I don't see him as part of an effective defence any longer.

As for Bevis, very much a confidence player, a guy we get our best out of when he has consistency in appearances. However, he's very much a squad player rather than definite starter and as such 10 minutes here and there mean it's hard to get him to a place that he needs to be to perform.

10 hours ago, Dee Bliss said:

If only Motherwell had spent more on their playing squad and less on their pitch they might’ve made top 6. 

Beautiful surface though guys. 

Several Dundee fans coming in here to gloat despite there not being a single Motherwell fan on here , or in the real world, appearing to be even remotely annoyed we missed out on the top 6.

I suppose when you’ve spent 15 of the last 20 seasons in the seaside leagues and 40+ in the shadow of your neighbours you’ll go over board about scraping a top half league finish! 😂 

I was watching AVFTT and saw Telfer enjoying his teams league victory.  Are we missing a trick, nearly everybody has seen their team win a league since the ‘80s while we plod along in the top league.  We should take a dive one year then see the crowds increase for our Championship league winning run.

22 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

I remember when SOD signed it was felt it was a good bit of business, local guy, part of a very successful Clarke Killie team and Scottish internationalist off the back of it too. He now has 120 appearances for us (averaging 30 per season), my gut says out of those I've maybe seen him perform at or above a 7 out of 10 in 20ish of those games.

At Killie and Scotland he was used as a wingback very effectively then arrives here to play under three managers who were rigid to almost being blinkered in favouring a back four. While for the past 14 months we've played with a back 5, he is getting oder and his already limited speed is diminishing, a bit of a major factor in that role.

We can't ignore as club captain he stood up to Alexander's mentalness (as you'd hope within reason and if done correctly) and paid a price professionally. I can't fault his off field stuff, he is a fine statesman for the club and his integrity and likability as a man is unquestionable. As a footballer at our level if we wish to progress I don't see him as part of an effective defence any longer.

SOD is also younger than McGinn...if I had to bet we'll keep SOD on a significantly reduced wage, I think mcginn might get what we're offering now elsewhere and we'll roll the dice on replacing him. 

I wouldn't be totally averse to keeping both on the correct deals but then the replacements for Butcher and mugabi need to be spot on.

38 minutes ago, ropy said:

I was watching AVFTT and saw Telfer enjoying his teams league victory.  Are we missing a trick, nearly everybody has seen their team win a league since the ‘80s while we plod along in the top league.  We should take a dive one year then see the crowds increase for our Championship league winning run.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7eqblmjnwyzaz7jce5d

27 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

SOD is also younger than McGinn...if I had to bet we'll keep SOD on a significantly reduced wage, I think mcginn might get what we're offering now elsewhere and we'll roll the dice on replacing him. 

I wouldn't be totally averse to keeping both on the correct deals but then the replacements for Butcher and mugabi need to be spot on.

This was the conundrum for me but I'd rather keep McGinn at 33/34 Vs SOD at 31/32 I think. 

For the record, I think Bevis & SOD both get a much harder time than Casey, not just on the forums but our support in general.

He was great last season but this season his form has been very erratic and thats within games not just game to game.

He has made way more mistakes than Bevis this season, but its covered over because of his willingness to throw himself into tackles and put his body on the line (which is a very likeable quality).

Not suggesting for a minute we move him on as I think he definitely has what it takes ro be successful for us. But if we are drawing comparisons its important to be fair.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

FWIW I think we'll offer both SOD and McGinn another year. I'd imagine Bevis will be heading for the exit, along with Butcher, Obika, Maguire and Callan Elliott. 

There will probably be more exits, given the number of contracts that are up, who knows what will happen with Kelly, I'd expect us to try and keep Slattery.

Edited by MurrayWell

I'd keep SOD but Bevis as become erratic when passing with his feet. Possibly due to lack of game time.

The need for a commanding centre-half that will tighten things up at set-plays goes without saying.

Otherwise looking forward to my first trip to the promised Dens Mega-Bowl (but I've been waiting for many a year).

Edited by Cedrics Mighty Well Army

11 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

It's amazing how people can see this yet SK insists on his weird 5-2-3 but with two wide players (Vale & Spittal). As you said tuck Spittal in behind and move Vale up front.

Also glad you two appreciate Davor, there's two or three other people who don't seem to.

In addition, Andy Halliday not very good? Quelle surprise!

Davor is a class wee player when played as he should be. As a defensive midfielder breaking up play and protecting the defence then linking with the attacking midfielders to do their stuff. 

I get taking him off at times against teams sitting in but he has been criminally underused imo by asK this year. 

The Vale scenario is reminding me of Brodie Spencer, comes in with fire in his belly looking a right find then drained of it by being asked to do a job he is less effective in. Effectively making a 7 or 8 out of 10 player a 6 to fill in a role rather than play to his strengths. 

3 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Several Dundee fans coming in here to gloat despite there not being a single Motherwell fan on here , or in the real world, appearing to be even remotely annoyed we missed out on the top 6.

I suppose when you’ve spent 15 of the last 20 seasons in the seaside leagues and 40+ in the shadow of your neighbours you’ll go over board about scraping a top half league finish! 😂 

Then there’s reality. 

It's completely ridiculous that top 6 was a possibility for us until the last moment.

We've been so bad at times it's been unreal.

A good couple of games are due now. hopefully decent dates on the away days. Wee bit of sun afore the end of the season/rebuild etc.