Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

29 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Ahhhhh! Don't I feel foolish now.

Fwiw he seems to have played wide right once or twice for Cove, apparently. Alongside appearances in the middle.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Fwiw he seems to have played wide right once or twice for Cove, apparently. Alongside appearances in the middle.

Yeah he started out there with our 20s but that was more because Craigan didn't really know what to do with him. It was more a nominal "Eh, just go and play out on the wing" sort of chat.

Ross talked a bit about him when he arrived having taken over from Craigan basically said that Semple had been pretty disillusioned by the way he was being used and there's been an effort made to try and find his position as he's really just been bounced around the park. Scotland were using him as a #9 as well.

Craigan obviously did a smashing job with guys like Campbell, Turnbull, Hastie, Scott etc but by all accounts he had difficulty trying to fit Semple in.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Scotland were using him as a #9 as well.

Tbf he's apparently 6ft, so that automatically makes him a CB or CF in the national set up.

I'm very much in agreement with the majority in wondering who we would bring in to take us forward, but I'm also very much of the mind that it may well be time to part ways with Robinson and inject a freshness into the club. 

I fully understand the size of our club, and the budgets and restraints they work within. 'The Model' dictates the way in which we conduct business and how we source players, but the amount of chances and left-field punts we take seem to be paying off less and less. There's a lot to be said for having a core of players who know the league and have been over the course. 

I'm not advocating a team of journeymen, but the mix and balance we have is all wrong. 

The guy Foyle (?) gets a lot of good press, and I know Robinson watches a lot of games himself, but if between them Lamie, White, Mugabi etc are the best they can come up with , then I'm afraid we'd be as well sending my maw to watch a few games and see who she recommends.

Recruitment the last couple of years has been shocking and left us with a clutch of absolute shite tied to two year contracts, while the few worthwhile options we have are all out of contract at the end of the season and could leave for free. 

The last couple of months have been a painful watch, and there's no doubt that if fan's were in the ground, pressure would be mounting. I know he's gotten us out of sticky situations before, sometimes more by luck than design, but with his current crop of shite, I'm not so sure this time. 

I actually do like Robinson and his philosophies, and he undoubtedly buys into the workings and ethos of the club, but the way things are going I just don't think that's enough. There are players who aren't good enough to be anywhere near the club, but likewise there are others who can, and should be offering a lot more. Maybe it's time to see if someone else can make them fulfill their potential and get us back on track. 

Sending Smeple out on loan was badly thought out. We were always selling Turnbull leaving us one creative midfielder in Polworth.

Polworth was dropped because his overall performances have been crap but even a half-arsed Polworth is more likely to set up chances than any other midfielder. Semple could have been coming on for Polworth in half the games this season.

It is similar to loaning out Hastie when we had no wingers.

See on aa bit of a tangent, watching fitba on the telly is utter baws.

I've nae idea how folk do it.

I put the game off after St Mirren's goal on Sat and I doubt I will watch the game v the Hu ns unless I am in the house anyway.

I put the game off after St Mirren's goal on Sat and I doubt I will watch the game v the Hu ns unless I am in the house anyway.

It’s a nightmare mate, the build up to a game just feels non-existent at the moment. Twinned with the fact that we’re routinely faced with a lassie sitting with a laptop instead of the game (although no for the last two games [emoji57]).

If it wasn’t for a member of my (mostly) rangers supporting family having a season ticket with them then I probably wouldn’t be watching Saturday but I fully expect I’ll not make it through the full 90 minutes.

Robinson’s league record vs Rangers
10 matches played. (6 home | 4 away)
0 wins | 3 draws | 7 defeats
Scored - 10
Conceded - 29

Robinson’s league record vs Celtic
11 matches played. (6 home | 5 away)
0 wins | 3 draws | 8 defeats
Scored - 7
Conceded - 32

Robinson’s combined league record vs Old Firm
21 matches played. (12 home | 9 away)
0 wins | 6 draws | 15 defeats
Scored - 17
Conceded - 61

Not pleasant viewing...

20 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Scored - 10
Conceded - 29

Scored - 7
Conceded - 32

Scored - 17
Conceded - 61

Not pleasant viewing...

We'll always have this though.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Scored - 10
Conceded - 29

Scored - 7
Conceded - 32

Scored - 17
Conceded - 61

Not pleasant viewing...

Those draws though?

I had mentioned his record against the OF a while back (turns out it was back in February 2019...yikes). 

I thought it had been discussed on this thread a bit more recently but the results have gone off a cliff since our style changed and we opened up and went 433.

Up until that point we may not have been winning but we weren't losing as much and even the losses were (relatively speaking) narrow. The 7-1 at Ibrox was an outlier in terms of those results.

I've added in the results since then in italics and tidied the post up a bit. FWIW Robinson's loss % at the time I originally posted was 53.3%

On 27/02/2019 at 08:42, capt_oats said:

Aye. I mean just looking generally home and away against both:

Home:
06/08/17 - Rangers: 1-2 (L)
29/11/17 - Celtic: 1-1 (X)
18/03/18 - Celtic: 0-0 (X)
31/03/18 - Rangers: 2-2 (X)
26/08/18 - Rangers: 3-3 (X)
05/12/18 - Celtic: 1-1 (X)
07/04/19 - Rangers: 0-3 (L)
10/08/19 - Celtic: 2-5 (L)
15/12/19 - Rangers: 2-0 (L)
05/02/20 - Celtic: 0-4 (L)
27/09/20 - Rangers: 1- 5 (L)
08/11/20 - Celtic: 1-4 (L)

Away:
01/04/17 - Rangers: 1-1 (X)
02/12/17 - Celtic: 5-1 (L)
27/12/17 - Rangers: 2-0 (L)
11/11/18 - Rangers: 7-1 (L)
19/12/18 - Celtic: 3-0 (L)
24/02/19 - Celtic: 4-1 (L)
27/10/19 - Rangers: 2-1 (L)
10/11/19 - Celtic: 2-0 (L)
30/08/20 - Celtic: 3-0 (L) 

Neutral (Hampden) :
22/10/17 - Rangers 0-2 (W)
26/11/17 - Celtic: 2-0 (L)
19/05/18 - Celtic: 2-0 (L)

P 24 W 1 D 6 L 17

For context I've included McGhee's results for his 2nd stint and also McCall's in the spoiler below.

TL;DR = McGhee lost 90.9% of his games against them, McCall lost 72.7%. Robinson is 70.8%.

I mean it's up for debate how McCoist/Lennon/Deila's sides compare with Rodgers/Caixinha/Murty/Gerrard's teams and also how Robinson's resources compare against McCall and McGhee but there you go. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Working below:

Reveal hidden contents

McGhee:
Home:

17/10/15 - Celtic: 0-1 (L)
09/04/16 - Celtic: 1-2 (L)
03/12/16 - Celtic: 3-4 (L)
28/01/17 - Rangers: 0-2 (L)

Away:
19/12/15 - Celtic: 1-2 (W)
15/05/16 - Celtic: 7-0 (L)
09/08/16 - Celtic: 5-0 (L)
20/08/16 - Rangers: 2-1 (L)
15/10/16 - Celtic: 2-0 (L)
21/01/17 - Rangers: 2-1 (L)
18/02/17 - Celtic: 2-0 (L)

P 11 W 1 D 0 L 10

McCall
Home:

27/02/11 - Celtic: 2-0 (W)
20/04/11 - Rangers: 0-5 (L)
21/08/11 - Rangers: 0-3 (L)
06/11/11 - Celtic: 1-2 (L)
31/03/12 - Celtic: 0-3 (L)
29/09/12 - Celtic: 0-2 (L)
27/02/13 - Celtic: 2-1 (W)
28/04/13 - Celtic: 3-1 (W)
06/12/13 - Celtic: 0-5 (L)
19/04/14 - Celtic: 3-3 (X)

Away:
12/02/11 - Rangers: 6-0 (L)
07/09/11 - Celtic: 4-0 (L)
02/01/12 - Rangers: 3-0 (L)
02/02/12 - Celtic: 1-0 (L)
05/05/12 - Rangers: 0-0 (X)
26/09/12 - Rangers*: 2-0 (L)
02/01/13 - Celtic: 0-1 (L)
05/10/13 - Celtic: 2-0 (L)
18/01/14 - Celtic: 3-0 (L)
21/09/14 - Celtic: 1-1 (X)

Neutral (Hampden):
30/01/11 - Rangers: 1-2 (L)
21/05/11 - Celtic: 0-3 (L)

P 22 W 3 D 3 L 16

Edited by capt_oats

11 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

My problem is that I've struggled to give a f**k about the season since day 1 - other than Sportscene and our games on Alba, I don't watch football on TV and so being forced to do so has been shite. I'm the type that clubs must love as I go to games and buy season tickets regardless of what state things are in on the pitch - but I have only been genuinely excited about football 3 times this season - our penalty shoot out win in NI, and Scotland's playoff games against Israel and Serbia (and i'm a 90%-10% in the club vs country thing in normal times). Also - it's fair to say that getting 6 points from the SPFL disciplinary committee was genuinely the highlight of the club season for me so far because at least it was quite funny.

I did watch the whole game on Saturday, although I was doing other stuff too - but last Saturday, I went out and did something else despite having a stream of the Hibs game available for free and it normally being one of our more entertaining fixtures (and one that I would never have missed if we were allowed to go). In a wider sense, I've lost any interest in other football - I couldn't tell you with certainty who is top of the Championship (a league I am normally interested in) or the EPL (a league that I don't give the tiniest f**k about but is hard to avoid). The only non-Motherwell football thing I'm doing is watching A View From the Terrace.

Obviously, the main "culprit" of this is the 'Rona - it's not the club's fault that everything is fucked - and I've got a lot of sympathy for them. On the other hand, we have a squad in terms of size and perceived quality that wouldn't be too far off what we would have in normal times and yet we seem to be a team without any sort of identity. If we were less insipid and better to watch, would I be more up for it?