Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Tommy Wright seems like the type of manager that will stick around, if we make good strides for the remainder of the season he could really build something here, I’m not sure Graham Alexander would stay for long if I’m honest.

Not a bad thing. McCall stayed too long and nearly got us relegated. Robinson stayed too long and we are in the shit again.

I’d be happy enough with Alexander. 

Has nearly 400 games in management, a win percentage in excess of 45% at his last two clubs and he won promotions with both. Played in the Premiership down to League 2 and has managed in the Conference up to League 1, plus has 40 odd caps for Scotland- so should have a decent list of contacts to work with. 

Him or Wright would have been my preferred choices, I’m just glad to see we’ve decided to move swiftly after Saturday’s absolute shitshow.

Edited by Casagolda

19 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I’d be happy enough with Alexander. 

Has nearly 400 games in management, a win percentage in excess of 45% at his last two clubs and he won promotions with both. Played in the Premiership down to League 2 and has managed in the Conference up to League 1, plus has 40 odd caps for Scotland- so should have a decent list of contacts to work with. 

Him or Wright would have been my preferred choices, I’m just glad to see we’ve decided to move swiftly after Saturday’s absolute shitshow.

This is largely where I am as well.

As I said the other day, it feels like Wright's someone we probably should give the job to because he's a really obvious candidate but Alexander probably ticks the boxes of someone we'd like to give the job to in terms of our overall job description.

Anyway, I see SkyBet have closed their market on this.

22 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Agree. Alexander is an intriguing one if he gets it. I thought in our current position the board would have gone for the 'safe pair of hands' in Wright but we'll see how this goes. 

We still need to see whether GA accepts it though, considering he'll have options down south in Fleetwood & Port Vale. I'm sure in normal times the thought of moving up here wouldn't faze him, but with pretty much the entire UK in lockdown due to a pandemic, I can understand him potentially wanting to stay close to his family. 

11 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

One wonders how anyone outside top teams could afford Campbell. 

If he went to the championship at the end of his contract we would be due ( I think) 60,000 Euros x years he has been at club. Not sure if there is a limit or maximum but would that not be around 600,000 Euros. 

Then you factor in if we were to let him leave this window what premium would that command. Our midfield engine for 5 months in a relegation battle. Surely we would look for a premium to let him go early. 

I guess the only way this could be done is if we are able to use the money to strengthen the squad for the New Manager. Then we might be prepared to take the compensation early. 

i guess if Gallacher and / or Campbell are to go this window we would need it done ASAP so we know where we need replacements. 

Also very quiet in the media on potential new Manager. Could u imagine if it was the Old firm about to appoint a New Manager imminently. Normally I would expect one of the red tops to be telling us who is going to be appointed.....

At this moment in time I am 100% aboard the Alexander hype train. From watching his interviews he articulates himself really well. Also, he dresses impeccably so it will be good to have a #shagger in charge of the team.

In all seriousness, I watched some of the 92' documentary a while back and thought he came across pretty well. His record is decent and as has been mentioned he has a good experience of the majority of the leagues in England. The only major negative I can see is that I'm not sure how much he actually knows about the SPFL despite him playing for Scotland through his da or whatever. Anyway, I hope the announcement comes today and we can get things moving.

In regards to Campbell, its dissapointing that we are likely going to lose another player on a pre-contract albeit with some compensation. Millwalll would be a good move for him, I think thats probably the level of club he can realistically expect. I'm a fan of Alan but I have felt over the last few years folk have maybe gone a bit overboard about his potential, he is a model professional and will have a good career but is still limited in some respects.

On the whole, I think Campbell at points has been pretty shite this year but you always knows he gives maximum effort for the club. The same can't be said for others. Hopefully this situation is resolved sooner rather than later. With that being said, I don't think losing him in January for a cut price deal should be on the cards. Losing Campbell in the situation we are in could be a bit of a death knell for us.

You know me, lads. I'll board any hype train going. 
#ANNOUNCEALEXANDER
200.gif&key=3cefbb793b6866ae1ad19e573d15c943eac26896a7c428c5e9bf5fea42d5770c

Taking longer with this announcement than they do match updates.

Probably be in the dugout on Saturday but not announced by any of our social media’s until Monday.