Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Exclusive: @MotherwellFC set to announce the signing of Reading forward Craig Tanner on a 2-year deal. More to follow

-Scott Mullen Tweet...

Edited by Swello

Confirmed by the club. Annoying we've not adopted a "let's not sign players from Reading again" policy tbqhwy.

My heart dropped a wee bit when I looked at his Twitter bio and saw the mention of Reading.

But then I saw that Carl Mchugh seemed to approve of his signing and that made me feel a bit better. In Carl we trust!

My heart dropped a wee bit when I looked at his Twitter bio and saw the mention of Reading.

But then I saw that Carl Mchugh seemed to approve of his signing and that made me feel a bit better. In Carl we trust!

I'm looking at him more as a Plymouth player than a Reading player in tbh. 80 games with the former, 5 with the latter. Definitely a Plymouth player.

Misgivings about our experiences with players from his previous club aside I'm quite curious to see what the script is with Tanner, whether he's been brought in to go straight into the first team or as a squad option.

Everything seems to point to him being a player who we'd be looking to play in the role vacated by McDonald, someone to drop off the striker into the #10 area and play as a secondary striker. However given McDonald's experience and influence compared with Tanner's relative youth it'll be interesting to see where he fits in. He looks to be more a creative, attacking midfielder than an out and out striker though and we're a side that's been woefully short on creativity for ages now.

I posted over on the transfer ins/outs thread and we've had 12 players (including McFadden, Mackin & Fry) move on so there's still a fair bit of replacing to do.

Mackin & Fry were mostly under 20s players so will likely be replaced there rather than for the 1st team squad.   I view Tanner as the replacement for Ainsworth actually, can play both wings or off the striker similar to what Lionel did during his time here.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

We just need a replacement for Louis emoji22.png

He isn't away yet, I have this mad idea that the more we don't hear about getting bids for him then we will extend his contract and he will stay for another season. After all we do not need to sell anyone this year 

What's the financial hit for getting relegated? Whatever that is, should he the starting bid for Moult.
I'd happily let him run down his contract safe in the knowledge he'll bang in another 15+ goals to keep us up.

Moult's a weird one. As Desp hints at, his goals are probably worth as much to us as any transfer fee we'd get. There's also an argument that, and I mean this in he best possible way, he's actually found his level here. He's a good "fit". His profile and connection with the fans probably has a "value" as well. Despite digging our heels in and getting decent cash for Johnson and bumping approaches for McDonald (twice) and Moult himself in January there's still that entirely boring, knee-jerk reaction when there's any interest that the club will just roll over and get their tummies tickled so actually retaining a key player might go some way to helping getting some of our more crotchety fans on board, especially in terms of the viability of fan ownership (I'm aware of the contrariness of that btw, in order for fan ownership to be viable we need to be selling).

I know the model is to bring players in and sell them on however if the rumour that seemed to be floated on Steelmen about him being open to extending is true then it'd be worth our while sorting that out especially with the likes of McDonald, Ainsworth and Pearson off the wage bill. If someone comes along and makes an offer that's worth our while than absolutely, we should be all over it. Tbh, I'd wait and see who else we bring in over the next couple of weeks and also what sort of movement there is once the transfer window opens (which it hasn't yet) and players actually start moving. I noticed there seemed to be some chat on Oxford's fan forum about there being interest on their part in Moult. Hemmings seems to have been a dud for them but Johnson seems to have worked out for them (and possibly us in the future).

I fully expect him to go, and I've got faith in the club to get a decent deal done (hopefully with a club who aren't in the same league) but it'd be nice to think we're at least exploring the possibility of extending his stay (same goes for McHugh).

Edited by capt_oats

I totally agree that we should offer to make Moult the main man in terms of wages and everything else such is his value to the team on and off the park - but if a bunch of clubs aren't looking at him seriously, then it confirms my suspicion that most folk involved in football are of remedial education level.

He's scored 18 goals at a decent level 2 years in a row (in a pish team) and he has scored against every team he's played against for us as far as I can tell. Add to that his attitude, workrate and the ability to give previously heterosexual men impure thoughts (whilst parting with season ticket money) and it doesn't seem to make sense that there isn't a modest queue of modest English Championship clubs at the door...

I'm not raising my hopes that he is staying.

4 hours ago, Desp said:

What's the financial hit for getting relegated? Whatever that is, should he the starting bid for Moult.
I'd happily let him run down his contract safe in the knowledge he'll bang in another 15+ goals to keep us up.

Hibs supporting mate alleges it hit Hibs to the tune of £1.5million for their 1st season down. No idea if that is accurate or not though.

We'd never get that money for Moult, so there's clearly a tough choice to make there.

Hadn't heard of the boy Tanner but having had a look he's managed 12 goals and 8 assists in 41 starts over his last two seasons on loan at Plymouth. Doesn't always seem to have been a regular starter for whatever reason but most of their fans seem to have been generally pretty positive in their comments about him. Seem to all be in agreement that he has a bit of ability at least, plus he's young and seemingly versatile so there's something there to work with.

Three in already and a few more to come this week, it's all terribly exciting. Expecting one of them to be Carson. 

Edited by Casagolda