Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I see Euan Murray in the Championship team of the year there. I noticed an article the other week about him being out of contract and attracting Premiership interest, given our love for signing former players, I wonder if he's on our radar.

For your own sake, you'd hope not. He's really poor. As is the other CH in the team of the season. 

20 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Shields is an odd one. We were linked earlier this season so had a look, at he doesn't actually look that great. 

Played off the left for them a lot. He isn't that great in the air, isn't quick, isn't that great on the ball, scores goals but they're mostly from outside the box so aren't really sustainable.

I'd think he'll end up good enough to be a nuisance at this level but just a ~5 goal a season type tbh. 

All that with the caveat he could thrive in a more adventurous side than QOS.

You have Chris Kane up front. I honestly think he's one of the worst players I have ever seen. he get about 5 goals a year too. 

Chris Kane is a funny one.  He was absolutely outstanding in the Cup Final on Saturday, but he never looked like scoring.  He will run his absolute pan in for the team, and as long as they've got the Bellshill Cafu knocking in winners in every Cup Final he turns up him, I don't see St. Johnstone fans worrying too much about Kane's goalscoring exploits. 

He kinda reminds me a bit of Curtis Main in the second half of our 18/19 side where he barely scored, but he run himself into the ground ragdolling defenders about, holding the ball up and creating space for Ariyibi, Turnbull & Hastie to thrive.  

Edited by Desp

Guest superward
2 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Apropos of nothing...
I was catching up with Scottish football news and saw the story about the Rangers loanee playing for Brechin getting himself sent off for homophobic language... what caught my eye is that our very own Kallum Higginbotham had managed to find his level at Kelty Hearts.    Blimey.  

I seem to remember Kallum not having many fans at the time of his 10 games before he sodded off to Partick, but he did manage to score one of my very favourite Motherwell goals.  Not only was it a cracking finish but most of the team got involved in the build up.  A great goal.  So I'm kinda surprised he's fallen so far down the ladder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKifmO9uaA

I could be wrong. But looking at the Kelty team they must have a wee bit of money about them. A lot of players who've played fairly recently at a decent level including Higginbotham, the bold Craig Reid, Tam Scobbie, Patrick Boyle and Michael Tidser to name a handful. So maybe a bit more to it than just 'they are all lowland league level' nowadays. 

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

You have Chris Kane up front. I honestly think he's one of the worst players I have ever seen. he get about 5 goals a year too. 

Yeah Kane is really just a player you want to be bringing in/out the side when you need a workhorse tbh.

1 hour ago, superward said:

I could be wrong. But looking at the Kelty team they must have a wee bit of money about them. A lot of players who've played fairly recently at a decent level including Higginbotham, the bold Craig Reid, Tam Scobbie, Patrick Boyle and Michael Tidser to name a handful. So maybe a bit more to it than just 'they are all lowland league level' nowadays. 

You can add Nathan Austin to that list.

I remember him basically retiring Louis Laing that night East Fife took us to extra time. He then ended up at Falkirk.

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I wish I was

Tbh, it's not that difficult to believe.

I suppose there's the difference between offering a deal as a token gesture and offering something where we're actively trying to keep them on board.

Edited by capt_oats

I've been massively pro-Alexander thus far, but if we end up with Foley signed, as well as O'Hara, Crawford, Maguire and Donnelly next season, it does not fill me with excitement for the brand of football we may play.

Foley obviously had a great game against Killie, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. There's a slight argument for keeping him on at the expense of Crawford, but I really don't think we need both.

11 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I've been massively pro-Alexander thus far, but if we end up with Foley signed, as well as O'Hara, Crawford, Maguire and Donnelly next season, it does not fill me with excitement for the brand of football we may play.

Foley obviously had a great game against Killie, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. There's a slight argument for keeping him on at the expense of Crawford, but I really don't think we need both.

I would rather we kept Foley over Crawford or Maguire but as both the latter are contracted next season then 🤷‍♂️

I hope Busta is incorrect re rumours. In some ways I can understand that the players in the main got results under Alexander, but that does not hide the deficiencies that were apparent earlier in the season and in fact for several games during Alexander’s short stay so far. 

I suspect that may be playing a part in the delay in the announcement of release list. Possibly hoping  some commit to offers recently made and we can announce positive news. 

We know Cole will be offered a deal but will Long ? Hopefully we will find out soon enough - as in not Friday at 6pm 😟

We were near the top of the form league from when Alexander came in, so maybe he's going for continuity....... 🙂

We know that Gallagher, Polworth and Chapman are definitely off.  Dunne staying would be a surprise, but Alexander likes his character, so maybe there's that. Seedorf is injured, so it's possible we're going through the same process as tanner and dunne with him.

10 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I would rather we kept Foley over Crawford or Maguire but as both the latter are contracted next season then 🤷‍♂️

I hope Busta is incorrect re rumours. In some ways I can understand that the players in the main got results under Alexander, but that does not hide the deficiencies that were apparent earlier in the season and in fact for several games during Alexander’s short stay so far. 

I suspect that may be playing a part in the delay in the announcement of release list. Possibly hoping  some commit to offers recently made and we can announce positive news. 

We know Cole will be offered a deal but will Long ? Hopefully we will find out soon enough - as in not Friday at 6pm 😟

Yeah definitely agree re Crawford and Maguire. I think there's much of a muchness between the three of them and the fact that Foley can bring a bit of experience and leadership is probably enough to put him in pole position of the three, but as you say, Crawford and Maguire are contracted and that for me is probably reason enough to get rid of Foley.

I did hear that Long had been offered a new deal. It's one which probably does split opinion and I change my mind constantly myself as to whether it's a good idea or not. 

7 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I see Euan Murray in the Championship team of the year there. I noticed an article the other week about him being out of contract and attracting Premiership interest, given our love for signing former players, I wonder if he's on our radar.

Mean Girls No GIF

2 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I change my mind on Long multiple times during a match. I think we should keep him for his motivational skills.

Better the devil you know and all that, FWIW I actually like Long, don't have an issue with him not smiling at all, actually find it weird how 90% of our support lose their minds over it.