Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Dunno if it's been mentioned but Gary Neville saying the other day that his decision to punt Alexander was a terrible decision on his part and he should never have done it.

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Dunno if it's been mentioned but Gary Neville saying the other day that his decision to punt Alexander was a terrible decision on his part and he should never have done it.

Aye, @dezz picked up on it a few pages back but our thread is just pure, red-hot #content.

It puts some of the more spicy "Graham Alexander is out his depth" takes in the Premiership 21/22 Sack Race thread into a bit of context (along with him having the 3rd best form in the league between him being appointed and the end of the season).

Edited by capt_oats

I was 8 the first time my dad took me. 1999, playing a replay against Hearts that his pal gave him tickets to. Pat Nevin scored a last minute winner right in front of us in the Cooper stand and I can picture it still to this day. 

I remember that goal well, it was coming right me and I jumped that high I nearly hit my head on the top of the Cooper stand.

Was that game not a replay from a flooded pitch game?

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

I remember that goal well, it was coming right me and I jumped that high I nearly hit my head on the top of the copper.

Was that game not a replay from a flooded pitch game?

I’m sure it was. Something at the back of my head tells me Giles Rousset got sent off for Hearts that night.

I vividly rember watching that Pat Nevin goal from my seat in the cooper. All that running around his boots paid off.

I get this game mixed up with the one where Tony Thomas scored, think that was a cup game. 

The whole game right here

https://youtu.be/0flk6ZD_T_M

Edited by rowsdower

I vividly rember watching that Pat Nevin goal from my seat in the cooper. All that running around his boots paid off.
I get this game mixed up with the one where Tony Thomas scored, think that was a cup game. 
The whole game right here

Cheers for the highlights, turns out my memory was right about it being a replay. No idea what I did yesterday but I remember 1999!

ETA- have to say… I love Shaun Teal. What a player!

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

My mate watched the Queens Park game on it and there was no commentary whatsoever. Just stadium noise and a decent quality picture.

Can't lie that's a preferable option.

My mate  did that as well. Cheeky b*****ds. He told me the stream was fine. 

That Hearts game was peak Boyle. That game just seemed slower than today's, or is it just me?

I now picture Ged Brannan these days on Grand Cayman, on a run down yacht living a life similar to Robert Shaw's character in Jaws.

Redit soccer streams tend to have either the club TV channels or Sky feeds. Get an ad blocker on chrome though or you will do your nut.

Don't know a thing about Popescu but can't see any other centre backs coming in now we have Ojala, Mugabi, Lamie & O'Connor (with McGinley, O'Hara & Maguire there as emergencies). 

Roberts is an interesting one. There's no doubt he did well for us, but I'm always a bit wary of signing players after an initial good burst when they were on loan (Kevin McBride still scars me). I'd be keen we spent any budget we have left bringing in another no.9 to play alongside van Veen. 

I mean, I'd like another centre back as I'm not wholly convinced with either of Lamie or Mugabi as starters and would be much more comfortable with them as back-up/squad options. We also seem to have a disproportionate number of right footed defenders.

However, just because I'd like another centre back doesn't mean I'll get one and as it stands I'd say midfield and centre forward are the two most pressing areas.

Popescu is another of those who Hearts seem to have ruined, IIRC St Mirren fans were very happy with him in the season he spent there but having enjoyed the delusional shitshow that is JKB over the summer it's fair to say he's not a fan favourite at Tynecastle.

I have the same reservations as @Desp with Roberts. He was far better than expected when he came in on loan. He helped make the front 3 work and overall chipped in with some important goals and performances but it's such a small sample size I'd be wary of committing or going all in on him. It kind of feels like if he has offers from England on the table then that's the natural move for him given his talked about found it difficult to settle at Hearts.

To me a centre forward who can nominally play wide would be much more preferable to balance the squad than another "can play across the front 3" option.

Edited by capt_oats

Popescu was a stand out for us. Comfortable and confident on the ball and a real leader. Liked to break out from the back and start mazy runs up the park which the management weren't always keen on. Was gutted he left. However he doesn't appear to have impressed the Hearts management and didn't look too confident in the few glimpses I saw of him last season.