Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Another point thrown away today - a shame especially as it kills some of the feeling from Tuesday and before Rangers.

Thought Hibs were the better side in the first half, though not by much, but we were better after the break before the red card which was understandably instinctive but completely needless. The goal was well taken but was basically undefendable given the fluke deflection.

This is hindsight, but I have said it before, picking the same team is lazy management, playing Hibs must be different to playing Ross County, pick a team to suit the game.

Half time is a great opportunity to make a change based on how the first half has gone, I would have taken Shiekds off.

in saying that, other than the score, I enjoyed my day out. 

1 minute ago, CoF said:

I thought Moult looked pretty sharp and played a few clever passes. We definitely need options, so hopefully he’s building up to competing for a starting spot.

I’d give my left baw for a 532 with Moult and KvV as a pair.

——————— Kelly ——————

—- McGinn — Sol — Lamie —-

SOD —————————— Penny

——————- Goss ——-————

- Slattery ————- Cornelius -

———- Moult —— KVV ——-—-

19 minutes ago, ropy said:

This is hindsight, but I have said it before, picking the same team is lazy management, playing Hibs must be different to playing Ross County, pick a team to suit the game.

We've had at least a couple of managers in recent years who people regularly moaned at for trying to do that, instead of just picking our best 11 every week and playing to our strengths 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Gallus Numpty

Next two games are against Rangers then Celtic. We won’t be be playing with both Moult and Van Veen together in either of these games I’m afraid. On the plus side, shields will miss at least the rangers game, hopefully Maguire too

13 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I at least want to see that Moult and KvV starting together doesn't work instead of just accepting it as some sort of emperical truth.

It'll send centre half's nuts, so I'm for it. We'd put about 15 past Aberdeen.

I noticed that when Moult came on against County KVV dropped in to the #10 spot which feels like the logical place for him to fit given the 4231 seems to be what we're going with.

Tbh, it's stating the obvious but it all hinges on Moult's fitness - I think everyone accepted when he signed that he hadn't played 90 mins in ages and was an obvious injury risk.

Like, we've already seen Aarons break down after a couple of sub appearances so building Moult's fitness and confidence up by giving him a run of games where he's getting 20-30 mins off the bench seems wise.

I mean, I'm all for getting them both on the park. It seems like it could be a good laugh.

20 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd drop KVV for at least one of the Old Firm double header. He's never really shown up against either of them, Moult seems to relish the occasion.

I'd start Moult against Celtic. Hart seems to have at least one mistake a game in him at the moment and I'd fancy Moult to score from a mistake more than KVV right now.

The next 3 games are massive. Got to get a good performance in all 3 to help achieve a more successful season. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect anything from both old firm games but there is always a chance we could get something from them like St Mirren just did a few weeks ago. 

Also the Cup game is a once off to get to Hampden. We need everyone on board to try their best to achieve that. Also does the red card for Shield mean he is suspended for this game as well? Or is it only 1 game for the straight red?

Aberdeen is a bit tricky as most people would consider us favourites against them due to performances and our recent h2h record (4 wins and 1 draw in the last 5 I believe). Also we most likely will have Van Veen for the game so that's as good as getting a goal head start. Knowing us though, being favourites will result in us giving away point(s).

Also I wonder how the pitch will cope with the 3 games in 7 days? Need the weather to be good to prevent any issues.

If at the end of this run of fixtures we're 8th or 9th with a few points gap to 10th I'll be fairly happy all things considered. That's not to say that this team don't deserve our faith that they can pick up a few unexpected points, but it is a really tough ask to expect more than maybe one win and a few draws here.

1821719838_Screenshot2022-10-11145738.thumb.png.e4a1a5e21c772000e26c45e37f78e946.png