Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

We should be doing all we can, which admittedly might not be much to sign Penney. Offer Ipswich a fee and get him in January.

Some player.

Fear he will have his suitors, on both sides of the border.

Would love to see it but I think he’s genuinely too good for us to have permanently. 

A great result tonight that will boost players' confidence. Who saw that coming? Rossco weren't great, but you can only beat the team in front of you.  The way we've been playing some side was always going to take a bleaching. The Hammy honeymoon continues. Medals should be dished out to those fans who travelled to the far north for a midweek game, moreso given the bizarre seating arrangements. They'll travel south down the A9 happy, some with a good old fashioned fish supper in their bellies, so I hear.  

9 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Many of us thought there was no way we'd get Kelly from QPR ......

True - but Penney might be less willing to see 2 MAGA hats and a fake vaccine passport as a good signing on fee. 

First half we were solid if unspectacular.

Probably just about deserved to be in front at the break but not by much.

Second half performance was different class.

Some really good performances and some really good goals.

Disappointed Moult was denied yet again, but hopeful his first goal back in Claret & Amber will be meaningful.

Well done Hammy. Your team is worth following!

Edited by joewarkfanclub

8 hours ago, Casagolda said:

image.jpeg.e81e28ef788edbc162904799cdde95da.jpeg

But can he do it on a wet Tuesday night in....... Oh wait ..... Carry on ! 

Can't wait to see my boy's face when he gets up , went to bed at HT and was asking if this puts us 6th . " Not unless we win 5-0 but that's never gonna happen so let's just hope we can hold on to the win "  😂

Same again next home game please ! 

I said last night there were some good goals scored but having looked back at the SPFL highlights they were poor from a Ross County point of view.  But nothing will detract from the quality of the fifth.  The clip doesn’t quite cover the majesty of Penney striding out of the box to intercept the ball and start his run.  KVV still had plenty to do but if he was lacking in confidence in previous games, he was bursting full of it last night to top off his hat trick.

As an aside re the highlights, an absolute shambles the coverage of that game from BBC Scotland, turned on after the game to catch the end of the rangers game and get some sort of post match reaction from ours. Absolutely nothing. 45 mins spent on Rangers' woes with one line to tell you the score from Dingwall, absolutely nothing from either manager or even a post match report from anyone at the game and looking at their website this morning there's a report but no highlights at all. 

Shambles. 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I said last night there were some good goals scored but having looked back at the SPFL highlights they were poor from a Ross County point of view.  But nothing will detract from the quality of the fifth.  The clip doesn’t quite cover the majesty of Penney striding out of the box to intercept the ball and start his run.  KVV still had plenty to do but if he was lacking in confidence in previous games, he was bursting full of it last night to top off his hat trick.

This. Because of the way that County had crammed us into the far corner, the one saving grace was the view of the 5th (and of Penney's 2nd half performance overall) was brilliant.

52 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

As an aside re the highlights, an absolute shambles the coverage of that game from BBC Scotland, turned on after the game to catch the end of the rangers game and get some sort of post match reaction from ours. Absolutely nothing. 45 mins spent on Rangers' woes with one line to tell you the score from Dingwall, absolutely nothing from either manager or even a post match report from anyone at the game and looking at their website this morning there's a report but no highlights at all. 

Shambles. 

BBC can't show the highlights online yet I don't think (could be wrong)

They were on the Sky Sports site though at midnight:

https://www.skysports.com/football/ross-county-vs-motherwell/report/465060

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Kev's 3rd was 100% the sort of finish the Budget Bergkamp video promised but he's not really delivered on as yet. More of this please.

I started to write out a 'mildy irritated' post against parts of KVV's play last night, because I found myself a bit peeved with his performance up until the last goal went in.   The choice to shoot from an insanely acute angle started it, of course, but he fluffed his lines at other times too, I think.

But then I deleted it, because it seemed a bit petty when a player scores a hat-trick with a great pen, great positioning for the tap-in, then topped off with such a magnificent finish.

I must be getting perilously close to 'yer da' in my old age... or did anyone else feel the same?

My view on KVV is that he tries to do complicated stuff a lot when a bit of simple link up play would be better (and would make him look better). He's a good player with the ball at his feet but at a time where we've got a lot of good runners, we need him to do a bit more of what Higdon used to do all the time, bringing them into play. I think what makes someone a top player is the quality of their decision making and KVV playing at the level he has done throughout his career is probably testament to that.

That said, he's on double figures by early October - it's hard to criticise that.

20 minutes ago, Big John Handsome said:

Any idea what this was about?

Screenshot_20221005-121727.png

His mam got ill and died. That's why he was out so I assume it's related to that. He's had a hard time and wanted to get back to it Hammy said.

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I started to write out a 'mildy irritated' post against parts of KVV's play last night, because I found myself a bit peeved with his performance up until the last goal went in.   The choice to shoot from an insanely acute angle started it, of course, but he fluffed his lines at other times too, I think.

But then I deleted it, because it seemed a bit petty when a player scores a hat-trick with a great pen, great positioning for the tap-in, then topped off with such a magnificent finish.

I must be getting perilously close to 'yer da' in my old age... or did anyone else feel the same?

:lol:

I mean, it seems harsh. He's definitely quite a frustrating player...mercurial even, but having just checked not only is that him into double figures for this season - 10 goals in 12 games, he's also scored 21 goals in 51 games for us which is...quite good?

Incidentally last night was Hammell's 10th game in charge, 5 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses with 5 clean sheets.

Edited by capt_oats