Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I look at Kettlewell as I did Hammell, he has had a taste for it but should go back within the club structure and when the next guy fails after 2 or 3 years then he can take up the reins from a greater position of strength.

@Ludo*1 can maybe confirm but IIRC Ross had a similar thing with Dundee.

He was rumoured to have been interested, spoke to the club then opted not to take it any further before rocking up at Tannadice.

I mean, fair play, taking everything on face value if he's spoken to the club and decided it's not for him then fine.

If true, I'm glad. Never fancied Ross. His managerial record seems good but, as others have said, the way things panned out at Utd gives me horrible vibes considering our squad's recent past. He seems like he knows the game well and might be a good coach, just don't think he's the right fit for us right now.

Holloway is a no for me. Not too familiar with what he's been up to recently but just struggle to see why he'd give much of a f**k if he came here. I'd imagine he's a pretty wealthy guy by now and has only really managed in England. Why would he uproot, come up here for a relegation scrap with a club with not very much money to spend compared to what he'll be used to, and care if it didn't work out? Don't see it ending well for us.

I was a no on Kettlewell, based nothing on the man himself, but purely because going down the same route as how Hammell got the job seems a mistake in the making. Having heard him speak and now knowing a bit more about his history, as well as having seen the team play under him last night, he should be firmly in the consider category imo. He seems to "get it" and I appreciate his honesty when he speaks.

Agree McCann is probably most similar to our mould from recent appointments. I don't really know anything about him personally, but his history seems ok. Between him and Kettlewell if I was choosing.

23 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

He was rumoured to have been interested, spoke to the club then opted not to take it any further before rocking up at Tannadice.

I mean, fair play, taking everything on face value if he's spoken to the club and decided it's not for him then fine.

It was alleged that his wife didn't want Jack Ross moving back to Scotland and that was always the major obstacle. United threw considerably more money at him and it became less of an issue.

Whether the move was the true obstacle or not, it does seem to have become the accepted version of events.

We were rejected by Jack Ross, then agreed a deal with Shaun Maloney but were told to bolt by him as we went back with an improved offer to Jack Ross before anything had been signed.

I think we lucked out in the end with the extremely Motherwell-ish appointment of Bowyer though.

20 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Yeah, as well as Kettlewell has come across over the past week, is it too much of a risk after Hammell? I suppose all appointments are to some degree.

Now, Kettlewell until the end of the season with a further decision made then is perhaps the obvious option just now…

If we manage to get any sort of positive result against Hearts, then I agree I would be seriously considering asking Kettlewell to take the job until the summer.  But is seems the club want to get a new permanent Manager in. 

One also wonders how the journos are in the know. Is someone at Fir Park actually phoning the Record and Sun and saying this is who is on our shortlist ? I mean seriously ! What is to be gained by that.

Would it surprise anyone if there were others still under consideration that had applied. 

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Ross out the running apparently 

Holloway, McCann or The Kettle 

Not an inside scoop - from The Sun.

The Sun has been printing all sorts of shite so for (quelle surprise) - I honestly wouldn't take anything they say seriously in any way.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/ian-holloway-inside-story-grimsby-4828611

Can't mind who originally linked that article but I've just got around to reading it. Some of it does seem pretty consistent with Holloway being a bit of a cock over the years but it also feels like a bit of a poorly written hit piece by a local journalist with an axe to grind in defence of the club. There's still enough there to give me a bit of fear in the back of my mind about him though.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

The board told him Lamie had another year.

57 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It was alleged that his wife didn't want Jack Ross moving back to Scotland and that was always the major obstacle. United threw considerably more money at him and it became less of an issue.

Whether the move was the true obstacle or not, it does seem to have become the accepted version of events.

We were rejected by Jack Ross, then agreed a deal with Shaun Maloney but were told to bolt by him as we went back with an improved offer to Jack Ross before anything had been signed.

I think we lucked out in the end with the extremely Motherwell-ish appointment of Bowyer though.

Didn’t want him moving back to Scotland at the time or even hibs as he had a wee situation with a physio while under 20s manager at hearts very similar to our own old 20s manager Stephen Craigen (rumours of course)

Just now, supermarv said:

Didn’t want him moving back to Scotland at the time or even hibs as he had a wee situation with a physio while under 20s manager at hearts very similar to our own old 20s manager Stephen Craigen (rumours of course)

That was always the rumour, but the lines get blurred during these sorts of periods. Lots of, 'I heard this' and 'I heard that'.