Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

For me, the most important thing about last night was that it was literally the first time that the team acted like they knew they were in a relegation battle. The thing that's been driving most of us mad is how passive and meek the team have been but it looks like a combination of Hammell being emptied (which unlike GA, I assume the squad didn't want to happen) and whatever Kettlewell has been saying finally had the desired effect. 

I think when the dust settles and whether we go down or escape, the late signings of Butcher and Casey will be the most important transfer business we did this season.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

All three on the shortlist have actually been named on this thread.  I've certainly got my favourite who I'd like to see get it, and it's not Jack Ross.

@capt_oats is right now preparing a spreadsheet with all the managers mentioned so far with career win %, with the ones that we can safely rule out coloured red :)

Given this thread is 2300+ pages long, it might take a while.

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm starting to become a bit of a Kettlewell stan. If he doesn't get the job I'm giving the next guy 45 minutes before I start demanding he's reinstated. 

Aye, I’ve gone from ‘absolutely not’ to ‘absolutely’. 

Get rid of the board doing 3 hour long interviews, our selection process should involve giving every candidate one pre-match interview and one game. Then put it to a fan vote. 

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

In the excitement of a winning position I have totally blanked this incident, what happened?

St Mirren were breaking from our corner in the second half and Butcher couldn't have been more blatant at swiping their players legs from him before they could get the pass away. A shithouse on and off the park.

2 minutes ago, CoF said:

Can someone remind me again why Hibs sacked Ross? Thought it was mental at the time and looking at his record it still seems mental. 

A good mate of mine is a Hibee, and in any of our conversations about Ross and Alexander we always just seemed to be saying the exact same things.

I mean, if that is the shortlist then absolutely fair play to the board. I was quite chippy about it yesterday but all 3 have pros & cons and interestingly all 3 are different types of manager.

On the face of it McCann feels like the sort of profile we quite like: Experienced but still only mid-40s but equally not "high profile" (see @boozyBJ's question above).

It's worth mentioning that Peterborough were still 8th when he left the job last month so his "failure" there so to speak was not having them in the promotion conversation.

His relegation with Hull was unfortunate in that it was the Covid season. He'd lost Jarrod Bowen to West Ham (and then gave us £1m for Jimmy Scott) then by the time their league re-started a bunch of players including Jackson Irvine and Stephen Kingsley opted not to sign deals that would allow them to play in those fixtures. They went from comfortable 14th at the end of January when they sold Bowen to relegated.

He got them promoted but was sacked when they were taken over by some Turkish mob.

He had Doncaster in the promotion play-offs as well.