Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, virginton said:

One bad job doesn't automatically make a bad manager. And if Wright wasn't even slightly damaged goods then he wouldn't be touching Motherwell with a bargepole in your current predicament either. 

I understand the lack of inspiration among Motherwell fans but it is an entirely explicable pick. 

Whilst I agree with you about the merits of Wright for the Motherwell job but he wasn’t “slightly damaged goods” two years ago and he took our job and we were definitely in at least a bad a state as Motherwell are now. He did well as the St Johnstone manager but it’s still St Johnstone it’s not as if he was turning down great job offers.

Tommy Wrights heart wasn't in it the moment he missed out on the NI job.

He tried so very hard to pretend to everyone, including himself, he still had a hunger for it at Killie but I'd imagine most Saints fans could see something lacking.

I can't imagine years out the game since have changed that at all, so I'm not convinced it would be a good move for anyone. He should enjoy the peace of retirement and be pleased with what he achieved. Hes nothing to prove.

1 minute ago, JamesP_81 said:

Of course first home game I miss all season and we're 2 nil up inside 20 mins 🤣

We've reverted to type by losing an absolute howler.

After a good start we're now so deep in our half there's no way we won't sell another unless we get out a bit.

Two absolute dream assists from Spittal and Goss though. Good finish from KVV for his 15th (!) of the season but MJ's a total fluke.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

More reasoned thoughts to come but first reactions:

1) thank f**k

2) the wife better not learn how much I had on St Mirren to win 

She's probably going to notice when you put the same amount on hearts, because you have to do that now. It's your duty 

Lovely. Good couple of goals. Seemed to be tons of effort out there as well but I’ll admit I feared the worst at halftime. No rushed managerial decisions need to be made but if we beat Hearts on Sunday, I’d also make Kettlewell head of North Lanarkshire Cooncil.

Feels good to walk away from Fir Park with a smile on my face and many others. Every play to a man outstanding, played some good stuff and some not so pretty stuff but that’s what we needed and it was class to see. 

Btw Dan FUCKING Casey and dare I say Sean Goss both putting in tremendous performances. 

Not silly enough to know that’s us turned a corner but it’s a very good start even with Aitchison looking lively off the bench. Shoutout to both young wing backs both very impressive tonight young Max outstanding and Furlong bit shaky to start but second half superb.

Ignoring the result, I thought we showed a bit of streetwise-ness(?) and game management tonight that has been completely missing over the last few months - things like Butcher’s cynical foul, Casey and Butcher getting in the referees ear on plenty of occasions, and Kelly’s time wasting. We’ll need every trick in the book to get out this mess so glad to see we at least have it in the locker.