Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

43 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I can see there are lots of people we ('we' as in The 'All-Powerful-Thread-Mind') are ruling out... 

Is it all of them?
Is there anyone we'd actually like to have?

We're going to have to rely on some left-field candidate dropping in from nowhere and actually being surprisingly brilliant/average/lucky, aren't we?

From my POV, I get that the first few days is going to be agents and media pals just launching names into the discourse or idiots amongst the support just putting 2+2 together and getting fish.

That's how it works.

IMO there's generally been a type of manager that's worked out quite well for us historically in terms of experience etc however the problem with almost all of the names floating around so far is that they're miles from that sort of profile.

Add in everyone involved losing the run of themselves and giving the job to Hammell 6 months ago along with Burrows leaving (the one guy on the board who seemed vaguely switched on to the broader football landscape) and it's very much a case of "what are we doing here lads?"

I mean...FFS!

Screenshot2023-02-15at10_11_26.thumb.png.955145127df67a383bff8e372fae61b6.png

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

From my POV, I get that the first few days is going to be agents and media pals just launching names into the discourse or idiots amongst the support just putting 2+2 together and getting fish.

That's how it works.

IMO there's generally been a type of manager that's worked out quite well for us historically in terms of experience etc however the problem with almost all of the names floating around so far is that they're miles from that sort of profile.

Add in everyone involved losing the run of themselves and giving the job to Hammell 6 months ago along with Burrows leaving (the one guy on the board who seemed vaguely switched on to the broader football landscape) and it's very much a case of "what are we doing here lads?"

I mean...FFS!

Screenshot2023-02-15at10_11_26.thumb.png.955145127df67a383bff8e372fae61b6.png

It would be interesting to see the betting table from August as it isn't in what @Ludo*1 optimistically called the Motherwell's Next Permanent Manager 2022/23 Edition thread. Although that thread is interesting for the fact that the Record splashed on us taking Robbo back from St Mirren (and the Saints fans being completely meh about it) - so the Tommy Wright stuff almost seems believable in comparison.

I'll wait until the night before the appointment when Flow tells Scott Burns who it's going to be before I get excited.

9 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If kettlewell wasn't already in the building he'd look a considerably poorer candidate than many of the names currently being looked down upon.

That's obviously how it is but unless he has an absolutely amazing streak as caretaker I wouldn't be considering him permanently.

We've managed to get a perfect storm of circumstances that are going to sink us into the Championship. Great. 

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

We've managed to get a perfect storm of circumstances that are going to sink us into the Championship. Great. 

Certainly looking likely. If we don't go for a short-term fix you could argue the definition of success isn't being in the top-flight for season 2023/24 but making sure, whatever happens, we're top-flight for season 24/25!

24 minutes ago, Swello said:

It would be interesting to see the betting table from August as it isn't in what @Ludo*1 optimistically called the Motherwell's Next Permanent Manager 2022/23 Edition thread. Although that thread is interesting for the fact that the Record splashed on us taking Robbo back from St Mirren (and the Saints fans being completely meh about it) - so the Tommy Wright stuff almost seems believable in comparison.

I'll wait until the night before the appointment when Flow tells Scott Burns who it's going to be before I get excited.

Had a check back on this thread and couldn't find anything from the Hammell recruitment "process" either however I did find this, which is when we were looking to replace Robinson in January 21.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 14.28.23.png

On 05/08/2022 at 18:56, capt_oats said:

That's what's struck me as well. I guess the last time there was a much shorter window as we were mid-season and bottom of the league, it felt like the names for a shortlist were leaked much more quickly.

Looking at page 1068 of The Thread Alexander's name landed in the betting market on 3rd January although he appeared in The Record's list of potentials on the 31st December the day Robinson resigned (along with Tommy Wright, Pep Clotet, Jonathan Woodgate, Jim McIntyre, Derek Adams, Alan Stubbs and erm...Billy Davies). 

That said, if the reports were correct of those supposedly interviewed Wright, Alexander, Lasley and Simon Grayson.

Here's the SkyBet market on January 5th.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 14.28.23.png

28 minutes ago, William Williams said:

As the saying would be were f__ck_d   lol 😆 

you don't have to self censor buddy, P&B does it for you.

"Motherwell are fucking fucked, I don't give a f**k any more, b*****d **** and ****, bunch of c***s"

see .....

Official quote Flao's goodbye speech.

Edited by Kapowzer

Nice to see the board being berated  for who the papers have linked us with. Regardless of who we end up with, every name that has been linked with us so far has been pure speculation from the hacks and punters, and a few favours to agents. Maybe McMahon should leak some sexy names. 

Like most folk, my list only contains who I don't want at this point. Mainly because I know the market we are in, and the best chance of an exciting appointment is someone I've never heard of.  The reality is I'll support whoever gets the job. The "burn my season ticket and cancel my well society membership" folk need another hobby.

1 hour ago, rowsdower said:

Nice to see the board being berated  for who the papers have linked us with. Regardless of who we end up with, every name that has been linked with us so far has been pure speculation from the hacks and punters, and a few favours to agents. Maybe McMahon should leak some sexy names. 

Like most folk, my list only contains who I don't want at this point. Mainly because I know the market we are in, and the best chance of an exciting appointment is someone I've never heard of.  The reality is I'll support whoever gets the job. The "burn my season ticket and cancel my well society membership" folk need another hobby.

It's an unfortunate knock on from having had Burrows front and centre in the way we have and in the manner he handled the role. To be clear, that's not a criticism. It worked very well but take him out the equation and compound it by having not filled the head of comms vacancy after almost a year and you're left with a vacuum in terms of information which means that every piece of speculation is being taken as gospel. Which isn't ideal.

Ultimately, I don't know Burrows personally but I felt confident enough from what I've heard from him over the years to have a decent idea of what his perspective was when it came to the footballing side of things and what our strategy was. I can't say the same for any of McMahon, Feely, Dickie or Wilson - again that's not a criticism of them personally and I don't expect any of them to be handed the admin logins and start engaging with the reply guys but in terms of the direction we're likely to go with this decision it's entirely up in the air.

I mean, who knows? Maybe they've been completely on it and keeping an eye on potential candidates. Alternatively, maybe they've had to be steered away from the likes of Hughes or Wright in the past. The proof of the pudding is in the eating so we'll see what they deliver I guess.

Edited by capt_oats