Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, Enigma said:

Going by that logic, why not John McGlynn?

Apart from the obvious bit about John McGlynn signing rapists. 

He's as close to fifth place as he is to first, in the 3rd tier. He's currently seven points behind McPake. 

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

https://youtu.be/-ObLmpuBY6g

Just watching the full Kettlewell interview. I do like the way he is going about it. Ownership, very straight forward and a frisson of 'no real fucks given' (in a good way).

I'm the biggest Kettlewell fanboy going, mostly from his playing days but I always appreciated how he would (mostly) cut through the crap as a manager. I say mostly because he continued to back Vigurs to the hilt when it was obvious that Vigurs didn't deserve to be the lynchpin. He's as clear a communicator as you get. As a fan it's difficult not to buy into what he says, so I've found it perplexing that he hasn't convinced a boardroom to make him a manager again. It's not like his CV is shocking.

His downfall at County, IMO, was

a) building the squad around Vigurs, who was an ex-teammate and old pal from County's first promotion to the SPL. Similar with Gardyne, but not to the same extent. 
b) not having a leader in his defence and being too ambitious relative to the defenders' ability to play football. They would play a crazy high defensive line at times. 
c) (presumably) a lack of contacts, allied to the club's weak scouting setup meant that recruitment ended up being focused on Inverness
d) It looked to me like he took every loss to heart, maybe more than most, and it ate away at his own confidence. In the end he was throwing everything at the wall in the hope that something would stick.

It was clear to me he was a good coach. He had an excellent work ethic, always up and down the A9 to watch matches (which is something to be taken for granted in the central belt). He can polish a rough diamond. Jamie Lindsay and Ross Stewart are his best examples of players with a good attitude and really grew as players, before going on to have good Championship-level careers.

6 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I'm the biggest Kettlewell fanboy going, mostly from his playing days but I always appreciated how he would (mostly) cut through the crap as a manager. I say mostly because he continued to back Vigurs to the hilt when it was obvious that Vigurs didn't deserve to be the lynchpin. He's as clear a communicator as you get. As a fan it's difficult not to buy into what he says, so I've found it perplexing that he hasn't convinced a boardroom to make him a manager again. It's not like his CV is shocking.

His downfall at County, IMO, was

a) building the squad around Vigurs, who was an ex-teammate and old pal from County's first promotion to the SPL. Similar with Gardyne, but not to the same extent. 
b) not having a leader in his defence and being too ambitious relative to the defenders' ability to play football. They would play a crazy high defensive line at times. 
c) (presumably) a lack of contacts, allied to the club's weak scouting setup meant that recruitment ended up being focused on Inverness
d) It looked to me like he took every loss to heart, maybe more than most, and it ate away at his own confidence. In the end he was throwing everything at the wall in the hope that something would stick.

It was clear to me he was a good coach. He had an excellent work ethic, always up and down the A9 to watch matches (which is something to be taken for granted in the central belt). He can polish a rough diamond. Jamie Lindsay and Ross Stewart are his best examples of players with a good attitude and really grew as players, before going on to have good Championship-level careers.

Anyone else reading that and thinking ‘shit’ points a-d just sound like Hammell but replace Vigurs for Sean Goss….

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Thought Kettlewell came across very well in that presser. I still reckon there's a higher standard out there though but hopeful we're in somewhat-safe hands in the meantime.

Agree with this. Don't really know what I expected of him, don't really know much about him, but enjoyed listening to him there.

We'll see how the next games go but I'm happier that he's in place having heard him speak. Think having put up with Alexander's bullshit wtf-are-you-even-watching kind of answers for 18 months, any kind of honesty immediately endears me to a potential manager.

With Kettlewell, I can't see him seriously being considered unless he racks up about 12 points in next 6/7 matches. If he managed that we'd be on route to safety which would be fine. 

Still don't see him taking it or wanting it permanently with the setup he has just now but then I didn't think Hammell would move either. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Agree with this. Don't really know what I expected of him, don't really know much about him, but enjoyed listening to him there.

We'll see how the next games go but I'm happier that he's in place having heard him speak. Think having put up with Alexander's bullshit wtf-are-you-even-watching kind of answers for 18 months, any kind of honesty immediately endears me to a potential manager.

Aye, even in the "good" times I felt Hammell just seemed to waffle too. It is nice to get some level of insight from these things.

36 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I've found it perplexing that he hasn't convinced a boardroom to make him a manager again. It's not like his CV is shocking.

Ive not seen any interview from him discussing it, so might be miles out, but is he maybe one of the younger generation of coach/manager whos realised management is a mugs game filled with pressure and instability, and finding another role within the game is more preferable?

Jackie McNamara has entirely chucked the management game, and Jack Ross was talking about doing the same and moving into a more DOD role last i read. Paul Sheerin moved into youth coaching despite being fairly well rated as a manager.

Maybe Kettlewell just thought that a coaching role at a top flight club is just better than managing a lower league club?

8 hours ago, superwell87 said:

Kelly says the players feel responsible for Hammell's sacking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64636116 

Oh well that will be that then. “We don’t want to let the club down anymore”. How about you did not start in the 1st place you gutless bunch of barstewards. 

Basically saying we have been shite as a team and shite as individuals but we know we can and must do better. That is actually worse than admitting you are just shite and nothing can be done about it. 

And yes before anyone points out what else do you expect him to say ? Did he not say similar before the Raith game ? How did that turn out.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

I can't see it happening again, unfortunately for me.

To be fair to Kettlewell, Ian Vigurs made a career out of people persevering with him for his 5 percent over the other 95.

I suppose the question for him to answer candidly is does he agree with hindsight that your summary has its merits, would he do anything different if he had his time again and did he learned from that process going forward. I think the issue with our last two managers and the last 6 months of Robbo's time with us was a dogmatic adherence to formation and tactics often without a tangible plan B.

Flao did cover in our AGM that there's a type of loanee database thing all clubs have access to and County have to offer 20% more than anyone else primarily due to their location. Maybe interesting to see if he does impress what he can do when convincing players to sign and come to Scotland over coming to Scotland and right up the top of it too.

Also working in conjunction with a golf club quorum over a very single minded owner may take adjustments.

The one thing that seems to be a constant is lack of direction, instruction and execution on and off the park with us and for quite a while. Certainly Kettlewell approach to me anyway, comes across as clear and with little ambiguity. For where we are, that is very welcome. He's almost the antithesis of Courts in that respect.

Edited by Kapowzer

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ive not seen any interview from him discussing it, so might be miles out, but is he maybe one of the younger generation of coach/manager whos realised management is a mugs game filled with pressure and instability, and finding another role within the game is more preferable?

His answer to the last question in that Motherwell presser shows how hungry he is for a job like this.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

The Sun reporting Wright is the boards first choice. 
Appointing a guy who was appointed to save Killie and failed to do it would be incredibly on brand for this board. 

I suspect this can be filed under red top quoting ex SPFL Manager as candidate shocker. Replace Wright with any number of Managers and go with it. Would be surprised if this was remotely true. 

If Kettlewell gets a result or two in the next two games he should be given to end of season. Anyone who can get this team to perform should be rightly lauded as it seems beyond even the best magicians in the world let alone Managers.