Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

On that point, this is the league table at the point Robinson was named interim after McGhee was binned. We were 2 points worse off than we are now after the same number of games.

Screenshot2023-02-23at14_42_56.thumb.png.f90a58c39654c01af2b79a1eb4e9249a.png

?type=og-image

This was his run to finishing 9th on 38 points...

Screenshot2023-02-23at14_44_51.thumb.png.b1771c484463d0e0951a790b50c3733a.png

I know we all like to talk about our "worst team ever" when we're on a bad run but for me, that team probably was the worst I'd seen (Zak fucking Jules *shudder*). 

Another 4 wins this season is well within our current squads capabilities. We're still in a relegation battle but I'm more than confident we'll be safe.*

* This may well be retracted at 5pm a week on Saturday. 

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I have no recollection of Kettlewell as a player for some reason.

I don’t think he was playing much at county when they came up as was at the tail end of his time up there, was mostly kicking around the lower leagues before then - might be wrong but like you don’t recall him playing for them much against us. 

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Jordan Jones v David Ferguson, the most one sided contest in history.

An absolute bloodbath for 25-odd minutes before Ferguson was hooked and never seen again. That early sub with Cadden (boo!) moving to right back saved us that night. 

Edited by dezz

21 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

7th by season end is probably with a sensible cap on the best we can aim for.

As we're 9 points away from the current split zone, 7 games to play, of which 2 are the OF, so dead rubbers. Out the rest, 3 are 6 pointers against fellow strugglers and 2 are with top 6 residents.

It would take an extraordinary run. Livi, St Mirren and Hibs will pick up at least 5/6 so we need 15 from 21 to be even in the mix. So beat everyone outside the OF ..... very big ask after whats went before it. Need a Jack n' Victor style run ..... but maybe.

• Kilmarnock (A)
  • Ross County (A)
  • Hunnorum (H)
  • Hibs (A)
  • Livi (H)
  • Dundee United (H)
  • Celtic (A)

To add to this, Hibs still have to play the both the OF, Livi on the plastic pitch and Edinburgh Derby. Add in a manager not supported by the fans, its tasty.

St Mirren also host Celtic and are at Ibrox and Tynecastle. Not very good on the road, they play Livi and Kilmarnock in Paisley may be their saving grace.

Livi have already played the top three this cycle. They have the best chance to move to 4th. So barring a collapse which I can't see I think they'll be uncatchable.

The other two however. I think Hibs points tally will remain static for a long period.

Edited by Kapowzer

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

17 minutes and 57 seconds...

The more I think of the press release when Kettlewell joined, which made a very clear line in the sand of his remit (an eye opener for it inclusion before you even consider the content). Then Kettlewell this week saying he hadn't had much interaction with many in the first team before.

If he's running the reserves and various Under teams, where many first team players drop down to attain fitness and game time and also where you're looking to promote your youth from. If you read between the lines he was excluded from a fair bit or all first team interaction/training. When you've got that resource in the building it's another thing that's left me frustrated at Hammy's tenure.

Edited by Kapowzer

54 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

To add to this, Hibs still have to play the both the OF, Livi on the plastic pitch and Edinburgh Derby. Add in a manager not supported by the fans, its tasty.

St Mirren also host Celtic and are at Ibrox and Tynecastle. Not very good on the road, they play Livi and Kilmarnock in Paisley may be their saving grace.

Livi have already played the top three this cycle. They have the best chance to move to 4th. So barring a collapse which I can't see I think they'll be uncatchable.

The other two however. I think Hibs points tally will remain static for a long period.

I think you're getting ahead of yourself on the back of two wins in a row. Let's just get ourselves safe and then see where we are.

34 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I think you're getting ahead of yourself on the back of two wins in a row. Let's just get ourselves safe and then see where we are.

There's your caveat. Chill out

23 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

7th by season end is probably with a sensible cap on the best we can aim for.

In fairness, Robinson does deserve massive credit for shutting the back door that season. To go from taking absolute doings within a couple of weeks against Aberdeen and Dundee to not getting beat by more than a goal the rest of the season was good going.

Talking of Elliott Frear, he was instrumental in us staying up that season. I'm sure it was something like 1 goal and 7 assists in the run in. Shame his 'Well career peaked then.

I liked Frear. Left wingers have always, and will always be my favourite. I didn't like the attempts to play him at left wing back though. Someone tried that with me, and I just played up front anyway, and that was my last game in the Greater Memphis soccer league. 

Lionel Ainsworth really did hate killie though. I miss him.