Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

So we totally pied John Hughes then...

I mean, considering his most recent works include fucking it at Raith and relegating Dunfermline, is he really surprised that clubs in the league above aren't exactly clamouring for his services?

Should probably have at least popped him off a wee 'Thanks but, eh, just naw' email though.

8 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I mean, considering his most recent works include fucking it at Raith and relegating Dunfermline, is he really surprised that clubs in the league above aren't exactly clamouring for his services?

Should probably have at least popped him off a wee 'Thanks but, eh, just naw' email though.

Can the c**t no take a hint.

50 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

So we totally pied John Hughes then...

Contrary to the last couple of pages, evidence our board is more astute than we gave them credit for and give the moonhowlers as much respect as they deserve.

If Weir is coming back in some capacity then we've got someone who knows how the Scottish game works and most of the personalities. At the AGM it was him who piped up in support of Flao/McMahon about how the 'American' owners of three clubs were in cloud cuckoo land with their valuations and expectations. Despite not being a director for a number of years now he continues to keep his finger on the pulse and Flao admitted he turned to him repeatedly for advice and council.

50 minutes ago, Swello said:

My memory is probably playing tricks - but did we not actually interview him in the past at some point?

It was the season Robinson replaced McGhee and Hughes was busy relegating Rovers.

"It’s understood Hughes had been considered as a serious contender but that the former Hibs and Caley Thistle boss ruled himself out of the running at the 11th hour in order to commit himself to what he describes as the toughest task of his managerial career – attempting to keep Raith in Scottish football’s second tier.

And Robinson immediately became the board’s top choice."

Link

Reporting on what actually happened varies though - IIRC the bold Yogi's version is, as above, along the lines of he knocked us back out of loyalty to the guid oanest laddies at Raith or somesuch. I'm fairly sure he spoke about it on Sportsound or something.

@McGuigan1978 might have a better recollection of that particular episode? By which I mean, Hughes attempted exit from Kirkcaldy - not of Sportsound

Interestingly, in light of our apparently having filed his latest application straight into the bin, I wonder where the Record got the notion we were 'seriously considering' him to replace Hammell...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/john-hughes-under-consideration-motherwell-29218315

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It was the season Robinson replaced McGhee and Hughes was busy relegating Rovers.

Reporting on what actually happened varies though - IIRC the bold Yogi's version is, as above, along the lines of he knocked us back out of loyalty to the guid oanest laddies at Raith or somesuch. I'm fairly sure he spoke about it on Sportsound or something.

@McGuigan1978 might have a better recollection of that particular episode? By which I mean, Hughes attempted exit from Kirkcaldy - not of Sportsound

Interestingly, in light of our apparently having filed his latest application straight into the bin, I wonder where the Record got the notion we were 'seriously considering' him to replace Hammell...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/john-hughes-under-consideration-motherwell-29218315

Nothing to do with his loyalty, and entirely because the Rovers board refused to accept his relegation, and we weren't willing to pay any compensation to get him in, was the story, from memory. 

So we got Robbo in on the cheap, stayed up, went to cup finals, and Rovers got relegated in a disaster.

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Nothing to do with his loyalty, and entirely because the Rovers board refused to accept his relegation, and we weren't willing to pay any compensation to get him in, was the story, from memory. 

So we got Robbo in on the cheap, stayed up, went to cup finals, and Rovers got relegated in a disaster.

Aye, that was the alternate version I had in my head but wasn't sure exactly what the ins and outs were.

I've always assumed they(Motherwell) kept an eye on the socials, so when Hughes is mentioned and everycunt and their granny is up in arms at he possibility they then just bin the idea. Maybe giving too much credit there.

Think I'd remove any credit they have if they are basing decisions on any social media reaction. It's a well skewed view of fan feeling (i.e it's a majority of absolute no righters howling randomly into the void)

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I've always assumed they(Motherwell) kept an eye on the socials, so when Hughes is mentioned and everycunt and their granny is up in arms at he possibility they then just bin the idea. Maybe giving too much credit there.

Edited by eliphas

22 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Think I'd remove any credit they have if they are basing decisions on any social media reaction. It's a well skewed view of fan feeling (i.e it's a majority of absolute no righters howling randomly into the void)

Tom Feely was heard to say "bunch of curry aficionado's, pay them no heed"

21 minutes ago, DeadStar said:

So what's the script with Danzaki then? Just a bit shite?

From what I have seen of him, which is a few first team games, and a couple of reserve appearances, he looks good technically, as do most of the Japanese players in the league but the physicality is more of an issue. I suspect it will take him a bit of time to get up to speed with the league, and the lifestyle, I think Kettlewell has said at much, bear in mind he is only 22.

You only have to look as far as Glasgow at Iwata and Kobayashi, who have really yet to make a huge impact on the Celtic first team yet having coming from a similar background, and i'd imagine settling in to a group that already has a number of japanese players isn't quite as difficult. I don't think Danzaki speaks a lot, if any English.

51 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I get ye, but still, Yogi.