Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Fixtures are fine - a sedate end to a mildly hellish season and it's certainly possible that we could be relegating County on current form (not that I want to see them go down TBH). It would be nice to actually beat Utd at Fir Park as both games against them have been frustrating.

KVV is obviously away but then we all knew that anyway - I assume the calculation is that regardless of his age, a striker scoring 25+ in our league would be interesting to lower Championship sides down south as a short term signing, plenty of whom could stump up a decent transfer fee and would view it as a low stakes gamble.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Fixtures are fine - a sedate end to a mildly hellish season and it's certainly possible that we could be relegating County on current form (not that I want to see them go down TBH). It would be nice to actually beat Utd at Fir Park as both games against them have been frustrating.

KVV is obviously away but then we all knew that anyway - I assume the calculation is that regardless of his age, a striker scoring 25+ in our league would be interesting to lower Championship sides down south as a short term signing, plenty of whom could stump up a decent transfer fee and would view it as a low stakes gamble.

My granny could score in that league - may suppress the fee offered. 

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, it's just helpful from his POV and briefing Burns with the (old) story means the club keep KVV onside as I'd guess that the quid pro quo of us kb'ing the offer is that we'll do everything we can to get him his move in the summer.

The Chinese transfer window is closed so it's not a live issue so there's no real harm in the info being out there now.

It validates what he was saying in the press conference the other day. It presumably also clarifies the "other stuff" that he'd vaguely mentioned was going on in the background he mentioned in a previous presser.

The whole article sets out his/the club's position in that it makes it clear he's open to a move and making as much money as possible but also that the club have a figure in mind that needs matched.

Fair fucks tbh.

Assuming the offer didn't match the club's valuation, I'd also assume the wages on offer to Van Veen weren't eye watering or we'd have seen a different reaction.

30 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Assuming the offer didn't match the club's valuation, I'd also assume the wages on offer to Van Veen weren't eye watering or we'd have seen a different reaction.

From what I heard the offer was fairly close to our valuation, but it wasn't worth the risk of selling him at point with potential relegation looming over us.

My guess what be if a similar offer came in for Kev in the summer, he'll be offski.  

4 hours ago, dezz said:

What’s the going rate for a soon to be 32 year old, 25-goal striker with 12 months on his contract? £1m?

I'd imagine there are a few variables: What market we're selling to, how keen KVV is on the move etc. I don't see us being prohibitive if it's a good opportunity and we're getting weighed in (relatively speaking - bearing in mind we got him for nothing from Scunthorpe).

Equally, I'd guess that our valuation may have been different outside of a transfer window when we're in relegation bother compared to when the window is open and we're in a position to actively recruit in advance.

Porter (25) had 6 months left and went to Derby for £400k
Moult (25) had 6 months left on his deal and went to Preston for £500k

Assuming we stay up? 32 year old, 25+ goal striker with a year left and potentially some league POTY nods? I'd have thought somewhere around £750k would get our attention.

That said, I think the wildcard element is that if he was open to moving to China then there's a fair chance oor Kev isn't going to be particularly picky about where he lands. It's basically an auction for who'll pay him the most. Which is absolutely fair enough.

Edited by capt_oats

I'm still not convinced we'll get that many offers for him tbh. If he was out of contract he'd probably have his pick of English League 1 and lower Championship clubs, or those at a decent level in Europe- if Higdon got a midtable Eredivisie team then surely Kev could. As it is though, I'm not really sure how many of those sorts of sides have high six-figures lying around to be chucking at a 31 year old going through a mental purple patch.

If we do get offers I reckon they'll be China, Saudi Arabia maybe Turkey or America etc. Which again, absolutely fair fucks to him if he does get that sort of move.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

49 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm still not convinced we'll get that many offers for him tbh. If he was out of contract he'd probably have his pick of English League 1 and lower Championship clubs, or those at a decent level in Europe- if Higdon got a midtable Eredivisie team then surely Kev could. As it is though, I'm not really sure how many of those sorts of sides have high six-figures lying around to be chucking at a 31 year old going through a mental purple patch.

If we do get offers I reckon they'll be China, Saudi Arabia maybe Turkey or America etc. Which again, absolutely fair fucks to him if he does get that sort of move.

That's basically my view exactly... I think he'll do very well financially from his move (which as he alluded to, in his situation, is all that matters) if it comes but I don't think there'll be quite the list of suitors some expect.

I could be wrong though, I usually am!

19 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Stewart Robertson leaving his Rangers CEO role...

I did wonder about that - but it would be a pretty dramatic pay cut to the point that it's probably not worth his while.

18 hours ago, eliphas said:

Stewart Robertson leaving his Rangers CEO role...

18 hours ago, Swello said:

I did wonder about that - but it would be a pretty dramatic pay cut to the point that it's probably not worth his while.

I was talking to some mates about this and I don't see it happening. He'd be quartering his wages. 

I can't mind but did we think he was an arse?

Kind of related to the KVV fee chat but also a nod to the semi-regular "Steelmen Online...what are they like, eh?" narrative having just read that apparently "with a couple of exceptions we have been brutal over the years at getting the best value for any players we have developed and / or brought in and moved on for a profit".

I'd say that we've generally done alright recently in terms of getting relative value...by my count going back to Erwin we've brought in a reported £9m+ in transfer fees, sell-ons or development fees and that's before you factor in the clutch of recent "undisclosed" fees.

Like, last set of accounts showed we brought in around £1m in a season where we barely sold anyone of note outside of Tony Watt and Allan Campbell left for Luton.

The idea that we've been "brutal" on that front is something of a myth now that's been perpetuated from the days where we were pretty much giving the likes of Murphy and Reynolds away.

Anyway here the rough list:

On 28/03/2023 at 10:18, capt_oats said:

I had posted a fairly loose list of our transfers since 14/15 when Erwin moved to Leeds earlier in The Thread. The post is from August 2020 so possibly just before Turnbull's (knee) fell apart and the original transfer to Celtic fell over as a result:

Reveal hidden contents

Anyway, here's that list updated with added Sol, Allan Campbell, Bailey Rice, Tony Watt and soon to be Max Johnston.

22/23 - Sondre Solholm Johansen (Odd) - £undisclosed - Transfer
22/23 - Kaiyne Woolery (Sakaryspor) - £undisclosed
22/23 - Bailey Rice (Rangers) - £ undisclosed - Development Compensation
21/22 - Tony Watt (Dundee United) - £175k - Transfer
21/22 - Allan Campbell (Luton Town) - £? - Development Compensation
20/21 - David Turnbull (Celtic) - £3m - Transfer
19/20 - James Scott (Hull City) - £1.5m - Transfer
19/20 - Reece McAlear (Norwich City) - £250k - Transfer
19/20 - Jake Hastie (Rangers) £350k - Development Compensation
19/20 - Stuart McKinstry (Leeds United) - £400k - Transfer
18/19 - Ryan Bowman (Exeter City) - £30k - Transfer
18/19 - Cedric Kipré (Wigan) - c.£1m - Transfer
17/18 - Louis Moult (Preston North End) - £500k - Transfer 
17/18 - Ben Heneghan (Sheffield United) - £350k-ish - Transfer
16/17 - Marvin Johnson (Oxford United) - £750k-ish including sell on - Transfer
16/17 - Stephen Pearson (Atletico Kolkata) - £100k - Transfer 
16/17 - Ben Hall (Brighton) - £210k - Development Compensation
14/15 - Lee Erwin (Leeds United) - £500k - Development Compensation

No Chris Cadden there as it seems to have been the case that we ended up with an entirely redundant IOU out of that situation.

Edited by capt_oats

42 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I was talking to some mates about this and I don't see it happening. He'd be quartering his wages. 

I can't mind but did we think he was an arse?

From memory he was considered competent, I don't think many people complained about him.

Certainly agree he'll have little interest returning to us now.