Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Absolutely insane thing to say when my own team is heading into a relegation playoff decider at exactly the same time...but I'm so excited about Van Veen hopefully breaking this scoring record.

Feel like I'll be refreshing my phone every minute in the hope that he does it.

14 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Absolutely insane thing to say when my own team is heading into a relegation playoff decider at exactly the same time...but I'm so excited about Van Veen hopefully breaking this scoring record.

As long as Utd play their "defence", he's got every chance of getting the 11 in a row, the two he needs to get his 30 goal target and league top scorer on Sunday :)

Must admit I laughed when he announced his 30-goal target but you wouldn't bet against him now.

You don wonder how up for it we'll be given the second half last night, how United will approach it blah blah blah.

I always hate it when you can't see anything other than a comfortable Motherwell win, it usually means a raging balls-up is approaching at speed.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Will Arfield not go back to Falkirk and gloriously lead them back to the Championship and who knows how much further.

Depends how knackered he is physically... it's one thing returning to Motherwell when you're a bit past it, dropping into the total pub league before you absolutely have to can't have much appeal to guys who can still play.

Not that I'm especially eager for us to sign him fwiw.

2 hours ago, Estragon said:

If anything he scored too soon last night; the game was a totally dead rubber after that, 7th place be damned. Mind you, I’d take that on Sunday in preference to his 90+9 penalty the previous weekend. 

I’m genuinely expecting a perfect hat trick from him - chest, knee, and arse. 

He hasn't done any of those scooped lobs that got The Thread© slevering over his highlights reel a couple of summers back (which directly led to him being signed obviously) - so one of those on Sunday please.

I would take Arfield. After a lovely three months of playing people in positions they are comfortable in, I'm not going to start advocating putting square pegs in round holes again, but I guess he could offer us a degree of flexibility were we to change formation, with him having played out wide before.

Spittal has been a revalation since Kettlewell has come in though and I'm wondering if Arfield would be suited to one of the two deeper roles in a 3-5-2.

18 hours ago, Blink182 said:

I feel like last week Van Veen was the record holder for beating Dargo. Now this week he's joing record holder with Viduka? 

Is there 2 separate records going on?

There were a lot of people talking shite, yes. 9 was not a record.