Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I've been to Harrogate. It's actually quite nice. 

Not sure this will be the "new challenge" Dean is hoping for right enough. I'd put the English League 2 on a par with the Scottish Championship in terms of standard. 

Just to make clear, this wasn't meant as a dig at Cornelius. If he feels he needs games and has gone somewhere he thinks he'll play more then absolutely fair enough. We've had plenty of players over the years who have come through the academy, or otherwise, who have shown themselves to not be good enough and long overstayed their welcome. 

I wouldn't put Cornelius into that bracket and think he's a better player than the likes of Barry Maguire. With Goss looking unlikely to resign I think Dean could have got the game time he's looking for had he stayed with us but if it hasn't been guaranteed I don't blame him for going elsewhere.

And as I say, I Harrogate is a nice wee place. It doesn't have an Indian Villa though. 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Agreed, Al really burying the lead here, and fair play to you turning up to a game with an actual ex-pro in it. Have done this a few times and it always, always ruins the game, because they're so hilariously better than everyone else without trying. :lol:

I used to play fairly regularly with an ex Aberdeen player who would be described as a journeyman.

He was way out of shape but barely had to move. Sending folk to the shops with a turn of the hips.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

New striker from down south due to sign this week by all accounts.  

Only seeing the words 'from down south' here, no mention of  actually being English. Are there any other enigmatic, lower league Dutch journeymen plying their trade down there just now that could come up and get us all swooning again? Someone with a bit of mystique and allure rather than a punt on some plooky jobber from Solihull Moors.

I'll take a maverick every time - Someone who's got all the skill but just hasn't found the right club/had too many criminal convictions in his previous city.

Devante Cole did great with us and did everything you'd want a Motherwell striker to do but he was boring as f**k, let's be honest (muted celebrations, no sass in the papers, no winding up opposing centre halfs, small beard) - who wants a model professional at their club? Not me.

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

I used to play fairly regularly with an ex Aberdeen player who would be described as a journeyman.

He was way out of shape but barely had to move. Sending folk to the shops with a turn of the hips.

It was once questioned on here whether the P&B select could give San Marino a game.   It was suggested by some that we could.  I said if it was less than 20-0 to San Marino it’d be a close game, but really, 50-0 might be closer to the truth.  

When I played in Japan, our team had a ringer who was with a J-League B or C team.  He was fucking incredible.   Miles better than the rest of us, to a laughable extent. 

3 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Kyle Turner signs for County. That's him off our list!!

Rumours that Mc Kinstrey will follow him to County.

Is McKinstry any good?  I have no idea if the “rumours” are any more than @RandomGuy.putting 2+2 together, but it sounds eminently feasible.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Is McKinstry any good?  I have no idea if the “rumours” are any more than @RandomGuy.putting 2+2 together, but it sounds eminently feasible.

The McKinstry stuff is entirely just baseless guesswork from me fwiw, the Turner to you stuff was more than that, so aye, i wouldnt be expecting it to happen because i mentioned him.

47 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Grimmy signs for Dundee Utd. 

Interesting to see how highly rated he is by Morton supporters - serious chat about him being the best full back in their league. Happy to see him do well TBH.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

It was once questioned on here whether the P&B select could give San Marino a game.   It was suggested by some that we could.  I said if it was less than 20-0 to San Marino it’d be a close game, but really, 50-0 might be closer to the truth.  

When I played in Japan, our team had a ringer who was with a J-League B or C team.  He was fucking incredible.   Miles better than the rest of us, to a laughable extent. 

I think all of us who played for any length of time have stories about the guys from X (St Pauli reserves and Brazil U15s for me, since we're sharing) they ended up on a pitch with. The difference is comical, they're basically playing a different sport.

It's easily forgotten sitting in the stand or on the sofa that the guy you're calling shite is surrounded by pros.

Oh and if you ever want to feel a real failure of a human being, stand beside a male pro swimmer...never mind a different sport, they're a different species.

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Connelly, Campbell and Wilson confirmed as having signed extensions.

I see they've been bumped up to the First Team squad list on the official anaw.

Interesting on a few levels that.

Firstly, makes sense to announce them all together. Very much a 'youth' players re-signing with Clarkson in the picture on the website too.

Connelly - Can't see him being first team material. But you need goalies about and he seems to be trusted by the coaches. Fine.

Wilson - Only a year is interesting given Hammy had him pegged as one of the next to watch. Also, he's your hoody man I think, not Paton. 

Campbell - Must be serious doubts over his knee if he's quoted as a 'short term' deal but when you look at his squad page it does say May 2024. So, who knows. 

Whoever is writing the news stories is making it well more confusing than it needs to be.

Edited by eliphas

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Interesting to see how highly rated he is by Morton supporters - serious chat about him being the best full back in their league. Happy to see him do well TBH.

I asked them the question a few months back on their forum and they said he was miles apart and they felt lucky to have him, well that was he gist.

Are Morton fans not afflicted by the same issue St Mirren fans have?

You play well for them and they'll just automatically claim youre one of the best around.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are Morton fans not afflicted by the same issue St Mirren fans have?

You play well for them and they'll just automatically claim youre one of the best around.

Nah they backed it up with reasonable references and context.

St Mirren fans claim that in 1977 they had more fans inside Fir ..............