Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 5/9/2018 at 17:19, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Awful debut, been solidly average every time I've seen him since. Steelmen Online hate him because he's too Catholic.

solidly average? You're at it surely? Hes been an absolutely terrible signing...

...oh aye, and hes a celtic b*****d, couldnt care less what religion he is

Noticed quite a few former players will be looking for pastures new next season. 

Heneghan, Nathan Thomas and George Long all made available for transfer by Sheffield United, whilst Chris Humphrey was released by Bury. 

Hope we stay away from the former player recruitment we used to do. 

Also on the topic of Hendrie he's been fairly shite, either unfit or just not interested. 

Noticed the Heneghan, Thomas and Long news.

FWIW: the statement from Sheffield United has them part of a group who are available for transfer or loan.

I'd have thought that having paid cash for Heneghan and Thomas along with the fact they both have deals until 2020 means they'd be more likely to fall into the "loan" category. 

It seemed worth noting that Robinson was explicit that we've offered contracts to players from both Scotland and England and also that a few we've been speaking to have already patched us. The other thing that caught my attention was that he seemed to underline the fact that it's players who are out of contract that we've been in talks with. 

The whole "retained list" process is well underway down south and I noticed that Aaron Taylor-Sinclair has been released by Plymouth. Have I just totally made this up or were we linked with him last summer? Left wing back is an area we 100% an area we need sorted along with midfield and another couple of forwards.

Edited by capt_oats

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The whole "retained list" process is well underway down south and I noticed that Aaron Taylor-Sinclair has been released by Plymouth. Have I just totally made this up or were we linked with him last summer? Left wing back is an area we 100% an area we need sorted along with midfield and another couple of forwards.

Is there any easy place to find a rundown of clubs released lists? Something I always hunt for but never find. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is there any easy place to find a rundown of clubs released lists? Something I always hunt for but never find. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/44057195 From the BBC. Links to artictles for all EFL clubs.

Taylor-Sinclair is a weird one. Doncaster fan's never rated him and was certainly 2nd choice at Argyle behind Gary Sawyer. Few Plymouth plans would have kept him.  I'd like us to look into him, we could certainly relaunch his career. 

18 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Happy Craig Reid day, lads.

Only Motherwell game i've got a flight to (Manchester - Aberdeen).  And then stuck in the top of that stand at Pittodrie, mad day.

JS151509241.jpgJS151514140.jpg

Some man so he is.

If we could get him fit, keep the ball on the deck and get more performances like today out him it could be well worth the gamble.

If we can’t and we continue to shell aimless high balls towards him them I’m not sure it is. What I would say is I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his best game came when the likes of Bigi, Turnbull, MacLean(even young Brown) were playing and he had other footballers on the pitch looking to get the ball down and play off him.

Of course, I imagine a full strength Accies in need of a win would have given us a much sterner test than they did today and wouldn’t have allowed us to rip the piss as much as we did towards the end.

Edited by Casagolda

Robinson's comments on the bold Nadir below via STV.

The 26-year-old - who is ineligible against his parent club in the Scottish Cup final - still has a year left on his Parkhead deal but is not in Brendan Rodgers' plans.

Robinson, though, still believes a permanent move to Fir Park is unlikely given his wages.

"When Nadir plays like that he is unplayable," said Robinson, whose team finished seventh in the top flight. "He is a special talent but he's not fit.

"If he got fit and we got him fit then he could do that week in, week out.

"But he's a super boy. People told me not to sign him, people tried to put me off him as a character, and I can refute that completely.

"He has been great around the club."

When asked about the prospect of re-signing him, Robinson said: "We can maybe look at it, but the financial gap with what we could pay him would maybe make that extremely difficult.

"But he's a boy I have so much time for and a lot of respect for. With Nadir's quality, we were able to rest the two boys up front (Ryan Bowman and Curtis Main) who had little niggles.

Not sure if that's similar to what he was saying on the radio.

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Not sure if that's similar to what he was saying on the radio.
He sounded confident on sportsound but it doesn’t read very confident there.

Hopefully the interview's on the Sportsound podcast to compare and contrast.

In fairness I don't think the STV comments are really saying anything that we didn't already know. He's under contract to Celtic, we're never going to match the wage he's currently on. The only way he'd be joining permanently would (presumably) be if he negotiated an exit package with Celtic. Unless that happens there's no chance of us signing him permanently.

Reading between the lines it sounds like he's saying it's something we'd be interested in if the circumstances are right (his fitness, his willingness to take a pretty huge wage reduction) but we're not going to chuck money at him to make it happen.

Which is fair enough really. Either way the ball seems to be entirely in Ciftci and Celtic's court.

I've said it before but it's clear he has no future at Celtic and it's up for debate whether any other club would really be willing to take a punt on him. He seems to be comfortable at FP and he seems to enjoy working with Robinson. Right now a step back to take two forward seems like the right move for him.

Edited by capt_oats

Our last home game before we won the cup in '91?  A 3-0 win with a striker getting a double and a defender getting the other.  

The last time a team went for the double-treble, they lost the cup final to a team who finished the league season in mid-table, managed by a guy in his first full season in charge. 

You may as well pick your spot for the victory parade on Sunday lads. Our name is on the cup. #omens 

I've been quite relaxed about the cup final but now that it's the next game I'm absolutely shiteing myself. I don't know what it is but I have a feeling (unlike the 2011 final and even the league cup final) that we might just do it.

I'll need to get fairly pished before the game next week to settle the nerves. I don't know if I could cope if, for example, we were to go into the last 10 minutes a goal up. I was on edge when we were 3 up against Aberdeen in the semi final!

‪New podcast - @AJR2022, @BustaNut91 and @jay_mfc are joined by @mfc_andy_p and @ByTheMinCeltic’s @pault1888 to look back on our final three games of the season and continue the build-up to the Scottish Cup final. ‬

‪http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-37/‬

23 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'll need to get fairly pished before the game next week to settle the nerves. I don't know if I could cope if, for example, we were to go into the last 10 minutes a goal up. I was on edge when we were 3 up against Aberdeen in the semi final!

I'm planning on doing the opposite and taking in the game dry and saving the beers for the celebrations after.

Also, it will temper me being either in a seething rage (like I was at Betfred Final) or from indulging in fairly OTT celebrations (Betfred Semi).

Yeah, was similar against Aberdeen. More nervous at 2-0 than 0-0.

3-0 was game over though.