Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm not saying I want us to do this but I'd be surprised if the club hadn't at least considered reaching out to an EPL club in a similar way as Hibs and Dundee have.

Goes against a lot of what I love about football but it feels more likely to me than the Swift option. Maybe Sturm Graz would be up for it.

Heard that we went one further and tried to pick Spittal up this month and were understandably told to do one in no uncertain terms by Motherwell.

Makes sense though that we don't pick him up yet, he'd be walking into a crowed centre of the pitch pool of players and by the summer, we'll possibly only have Mark O'Hara still at the club who plays that position as one will retire, two are out on contact with Baccus having no prospect of extending and Kwon will go back to Celtic. I'd imagine O'Hara and Spittal would be the first choice two in middle of park next season which likely wouldn't be the case just now with Kwon and Baccus there.

Edited by djchapsticks

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We spent a fair amount in fees during the Alexander season it was just never clarified publicly how much they were and the accounts just showed the £542k figure rather than anything itemised.

Agree it goes slightly against the messaging we've heard this season about wanting to get the budget under control but I don't think it's that unrealistic to think we'd invest if it was the right deal/player.

That would be my reading of the Ozbolt interest.

£150k on a player that is actively looking for a move to England isnt crazy.

If he has proven quality it should be less of a risk than an untried player.

He gets a guaranteed 2/3 year deal on the undestanding we move him on if a club matches a set figure.

We get a motivated player and he gets himself in the shop window for a bigger move.

Win, win.

Be a shame if this one doesnt pan out. It was mildly exciting.

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We spent a fair amount in fees during the Alexander season it was just never clarified publicly how much they were and the accounts just showed the £542k figure rather than anything itemised.

Agree it goes slightly against the messaging we've heard this season about wanting to get the budget under control but I don't think it's that unrealistic to think we'd invest if it was the right deal/player.

That all makes sense but I reckon we are past the big Alexander outlays.

However, good intervention from @Richie to be fair. 90 odd grand suddenly becomes palatable.

Regardless of the fact that we are trying to live within our means from an operating point of view - we are far from skint and could quite easily push the boat out to 100k for the right player. In short, I think there is club strategy of making us sound more skint than we really are - successive managers have been 100% on the same message about this regardless of the fact that they have all paid fees of some sort.

The fact is that every player has a cost of ownership - if an upfront fee is part of that, it doesn't necessarily mean that we are bursting our wage structure/budget as their wage may be lower than some "free" transfers.

I'm sure the board understand the concept of risk - and right now the biggest risk to the business is not spending money on strikers. 

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

Regardless of the fact that we are trying to live within our means from an operating point of view - we are far from skint and could quite easily push the boat out to 100k for the right player. In short, I think there is club strategy of making us sound more skint than we really are - successive managers have been 100% on the same message about this regardless of the fact that they have all paid fees of some sort.

The fact is that every player has a cost of ownership - if an upfront fee is part of that, it doesn't necessarily mean that we are bursting our wage structure/budget as their wage may be lower than some "free" transfers.

I'm sure the board understand the concept of risk - and right now the biggest risk to the business is not spending money on strikers. 

That's not unique to Motherwell though, I'm sure every Saints manager says the same at least once per transfer window.

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I do wonder what some of our fans think the club are supposed to do to get players to sign for us.

If we target players and offer them deals and that players agent then goes public to try and get more interested parties and push their clients value up, do we just keep going until we are the highest bidder?

We have a wage structure for a reason. If other clubs can pay silly money, then thats up to them. I wouldnt ve pushing the boat out for James Scott or Curtis Main, no matter the fact that I thought either could have done a job for us.

Im sure we will get bodies in. Whether they can make an impact is a different matter.

Depends what you mean by silly money. So if  If we offer a striker £1750 per week and say St Mirren offer him £2k per week we just give up ?  Even though we are IMO still in a relegation dogfight? At this point in time our league safety trumps this wage structure pish  - we need strikers otherwise we are fucked. 

The manager needs to be backed properly otherwise what was the point in keeping him on? 

Have you any other players that Robbo and Foyle will be going after?

I don’t think I remember so many players and staff making the journey from one club to another in such a short space of time. 

If we go after your match day announcer, mascot and tea lady then I think someone is really taking the piss. 

ETA : I know they have not all been direct transfers but you know what I mean. 😂 

Edited by Molotov

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

I don’t think I remember so many players and staff making the journey from one club to another in such a short space of time. 

If we go after your match day announcer, mascot and tea lady then I think someone is really taking the piss. 

ETA : I know they have not all been direct transfers but you know what I mean. 😂 

Suppose its inevitable when you're looking at an ever decreasing player pool then you're going to try and get players that have played for you at some time and know if they'll fit into your system.

I'm sure at some point in the future there'll be a player that can boast to have played for every SPL team outwith the Old Firm.

Doesn't say much about the talent coming up through the lower leagues though.

I

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

😂 

Morton FC has not competed in the top flight of the Scottish football league system since 1988.

😂 

There's not much that escapes your forensic scrutiny Sherlock.

20 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Bevis Mugabi and Barry Maguire would be a good fit for St. Mirren IMO.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Is Callum Lang a striker?I forget.

2 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Yes. Signed for Portsmouth earlier today

Honesty just carelessly scrolling through here and my heart stopped at busta's post, only to subsequently have it broken.

Yous are c***s.