Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Think the biggest issue I have with the way we've gone about things, is what appears to be lack of options. I'd heard earlier in the window that KvV may have been an option but Kettlewell wasn't 100 per cent sure on his fitness (ironic I know given our recent history). 

So let's say KvV was an option as an "extra" striker to come in, why does it appear that we don't have anyone else lined up? Why have we allowed every attacking option, apart from Bair, to leave if folk weren't ready to come in? It's not like this has all happened last minute. And why mention KvV at today's press conference? Why put pressure on yourselves. I worry we perhaps thought the deal was done because we were the 'player's choice'. 

I do think we have done some decent business this window, Nicholson and Halliday for example, and I like to be positive about the club, team and management but I'm struggling to see the plan here. Like others have said, I'm sure we'll bring in a striker, but the prospect of where we might be looking now doesn't fill me with much confidence at the moment. That being said, we've had class free agent January signings in the past. Just feel a bit scunnered at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Gazumped by Hibs for a striker seemingly last minute. 

This is a discussion for the light of day - but the way that we've been overpowered by lots of clubs in this transfer window has been really noticeable and shows perfectly why some of the stuff that was seen as alarmist regarding our relative financial position is clearly true. We're not skint in any sense but are struggling to compete for the players that all the clubs are looking at as they have access to extra money - or have a risk appetite that we can't match.

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Hi. Here you go...

lineup.png.44c02f4d4209f19f9ebcf890ec7de964.png

I mean, I genuinely don't get what folk are bumping against here. Elliot hadn't kicked a baw since last season, it seems pretty clear to me that he's here on what is effectively an extended trial he might be good in which case...great.

As @Casagolda said a few pages back bringing these players in will presumably give us a bit of energy and pace in wide areas. Which is exactly what folk were complaining about when SOD was playing there.

Cheers for that mate.

Tbh, with the addition of a 6-8 goal striker over the second half of the season that side could be ok in a relegation fight?

McGinn is generally a steady 7/10 player week in, week out and hopefully Butcher can return to even 80% of the player he was for us last season. SOD has also been more than serviceable since stepping in one off the fullback position.

The new guys at wingback can hopefully provide some much needed energy and pace on the flanks while Gent has shown some promise since being pushed forward. In midfield too we look a bit better with Miller back and Halliday a decent option off the bench and Nicholson/Paton decent back ups too.

If only we can pick up a promising addition up front things will be looking more positive for the fight ahead.

Edited by 'WellDel

12 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Gazumped by Hibs for a striker seemingly last minute. 

Well that will be striker No 263 we have missed out on.

I wonder of that is that. 4 minutes to go. Depends when we learned that the Sunderland boy was off to Hibs. 

Looks like the contract free market 🤷‍♂️

Looks like we’ve absolutely fucked it unless this Vale guy turns out to be decent. Even then we’re an injury to him or Theo away from asking a wean that couldn’t get a game for Stenhousemuir to help out in a relegation scrap. I’m sure we don’t need to worry about injuries though…

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

:lol: I'm quite happy with all our incomings but the lack of a striker is absolutely shambolic when Mika left on the 18th of January. 

Save us, Theo

Exactly this . Been decent enough , definitely strengthened the team . This striker situation tho man.  

As others have said, I'm happy with the incomings, but not shoring up the forwards is piss poor. I'm not buying any hard luck stories either, this is an issue of competence, and we fucked it.