Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm convinced at this point that Obika knows he is completely done as a footballer at this level and is just trolling the fvck out of every single one of us with this constant 'injured' shite, rather than actually make an effort of any form. 

Pocketing a years wages for absolutely f**k all, fair play.

My work is also paying me to have a fucked hamstring*. I only took one day off as well. Although they do let me sit down. Maybe I should feel bad for obika since he's a nice guy, but if it's an either/or,  I'd rather we signed a total dick with working legs.

Delighted for Bair, a real Canadian too.

*which I pinged scoring a goal.

19 hours ago, Gallus Numpty said:

Probably, but who knows. Playing like he did at Ibrox with Clarke in attendance won't have done his chances or his confidence any harm, but he'll have to keep that up for the rest of the season to have any chance.

Was curious to see McFadden and Kenny Miller on the BBC last night when both were hugely sceptical about taking Gordon, at least as it stands. 

I still think Kelly will miss out but I wonder if our FFS Liam bias makes it seems cut and dry when it's not.

28 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Was curious to see McFadden and Kenny Miller on the BBC last night when both were hugely sceptical about taking Gordon, at least as it stands. 

I still think Kelly will miss out but I wonder if our FFS Liam bias makes it seems cut and dry when it's not.

The chances of actually using your 3rd choice keeper at a tournament must be astronomically low - even for teams that routinely get to semi's/finals - so taking Gordon may be as much about his presence in the squad/non footballing reasons (although Clarke never strikes me as particularly sentimental for stuff like that).

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

The chances of actually using your 3rd choice keeper at a tournament must be astronomically low - even for teams that routinely get to semi's/finals - so taking Gordon may be as much about his presence in the squad/non footballing reasons (although Clarke never strikes me as particularly sentimental for stuff like that).

Don't disagree...and playing Gordon for every minute when he was approaching 40, bringing in Gunn from nowhere when he got injured and only using Kelly/Clark at all when there was no choice suggests there is a strong preference for when the decision is made.

The counter-argument is Gordon is obviously either not fully fit or back to his best. The logic of that is irrefutable tbh. And the follow on is then taking a guy to the Euros when not fully fit or at his best having - barring a change at Tynecastle - probably played only four competitive games, three of which will have been against lower league opposition, in 20 months following a serious injury is daft.

16 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Don't disagree...and playing Gordon for every minute when he was approaching 40, bringing in Gunn from nowhere when he got injured and only using Kelly/Clark at all when there was no choice suggests there is a strong preference for when the decision is made.

The counter-argument is Gordon is obviously either not fully fit or back to his best. The logic of that is irrefutable tbh. And the follow on is then taking a guy to the Euros when not fully fit or at his best having - barring a change at Tynecastle - probably played only four competitive games, three of which will have been against lower league opposition, in 20 months following a serious injury is daft.

Similarly if it’s as much about presence/non-playing stuff with Gordon then there’s presumably nothing to stop us taking him along for ‘vibes’ and sticking with the goalkeepers who have been consistently part of the squad while he’s has been broken.

Edited by capt_oats

If Gordon is seen as first choice or second choice then he should go, if he is third choice then he should be set aside for someone (Kelly} who is more likely to be involved in the future.

I'm as critical of Kelly as the next man this season but taking Gordon if he's going to be third choice seems a bit daft. I don't think Clark is any better than Kelly, just watch that 3-3 Norway game. I also don't think McCrorie's great either. 

What I'm saying here is I hope to f**k Gunn doesn't get injured. 

15 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Kelly and Clark are both baws

I want Kelly to go though

£££££££££££

Apart from the cash - having Motherwell players at successive Euro's would be brilliant - so I hope he gets in. Having a good game at Ibrox probably came at a good time for him too.

Suspect the pecking order, as it stands, is

Gunn

Clark - Consistenly not been brutal this season

Gordon - Lacks fitness but comfortably in the top 2 quality wise when fit, huge experience

Kelly - Worst form of the 4 this season

So Kelly is probably looking at snookers now, unless he has a storming appearance in the friendlies and/or Clark or Gordon get injured or they look absolutely brutal in the games left.

I've no idea of the answer, but I'd imagine it would be pretty rare (if it's happened at all) that a country takes two goalkeepers from the same club to a major tournament. 

Goalkeeping wise, Kelly still has time to get better. There’s a keeper in there somewhere.

snubbing him for the Euros after making all the squads would be a kick in the plums.

I don’t think I’d make myself available for selection after that.

4 hours ago, Swello said:

I agree it's unlikely a third choice keeper would play but it's not too outlandish to imagine a scenario where you are a man down due to an injury in training and a keeper gets sent off. Or are you allowed to call up a replacement from the beach for the injured player?

39 minutes ago, Desp said:

I've no idea of the answer, but I'd imagine it would be pretty rare (if it's happened at all) that a country takes two goalkeepers from the same club to a major tournament. 

Great question, and now I want to find all the answers.

Qatar and Saudi both did in 2022 

Not having Clark any better than Kelly. 
Kelly has been brutal at times. Clarke was brutal for years barring 1 or 2 seasons and a lot of Hearts fans think he's brutal too, Despite those who changed their mind as soon as hearts signed him despite having a go at him for years.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Not having Clark any better than Kelly. 
Kelly has been brutal at times. Clarke was brutal for years barring 1 or 2 seasons and a lot of Hearts fans think he's brutal too, Despite those who changed their mind as soon as hearts signed him despite having a go at him for years.

Anyone who wants to tell me Clark is a significantly better option for Scotland than Kelly can watch this and then come back to me. Utterly hopeless for their 2nd & 3rd goals. (Don't get me started on Christie's shitebag behaviour in the lead up to the 3rd.)