Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

I had legit forgotten about Crawford ever having played for us. COVID seasons were madness. 🫨

Crawford's appearance against Airdrie in the league cup the following summer saw him narrowly miss out on a place in the elite club of Motherwell players who never played in front of fans.

The members: Aaron Chapman, Jordan Archer, Tyler Magloire, Sam Foley, Harry Robinson, Callum Lang, Jordan White, Harry Smith. 

Perhaps Lang aside, a very forgettable bunch.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

When the cinch deal was announced he DM'd the SPFL asking if they had any discount codes.

And did you?

Asking for a friend.

How do folk feel about Blaney? I still think all our CBs are much of a muchness but it probably makes sense to give him and Casey a run together in the last 5 given they'll presumably be here next season. He definitely "looks" like a footballer and having someone that can score screamers is always a plus.

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

How do folk feel about Blaney? I still think all our CBs are much of a muchness but it probably makes sense to give him and Casey a run together in the last 5 given they'll presumably be here next season. He definitely "looks" like a footballer and having someone that can score screamers is always a plus.

I think he's...fine?

Not a world beater, but better than any of our previous dips into the LOI and a damn sight better than Ricki Lamie as a left sided centre back - if we could get a guaranteed better player then fine I'd take the upgrade and keep him for the squad, but for our level his attributes are fine, he can hit a set piece and loves a screamer.

All hail Blaney Shane.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Crawford's appearance against Airdrie in the league cup the following summer saw him narrowly miss out on a place in the elite club of Motherwell players who never played in front of fans.

The members: Aaron Chapman, Jordan Archer, Tyler Magloire, Sam Foley, Harry Robinson, Callum Lang, Jordan White, Harry Smith. 

Perhaps Lang aside, a very forgettable bunch.

From memory Crawford had a horror show in that Airdrie game , wanting hours on the ball etc. 

6 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

In the main, Blaney looks like a perfectly adequate Premiership defender but, like all the others, there are moments where he leaves me feeling very nervous.

I'd agree with you that as both he and Casey look likely to be here next season, it'd be a good idea to rum with them as a pair for the remaining games to see what sort of partnership they can forge.

I quite enjoyed hearing his commanding shout of " BLANEY'S " every time an aerial ball came within sight of his napper. That and the left foot screamer potential any time he's on gives him pass marks from me.  

31 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Can only really echo the other replies in saying he's broadly...fine.

I think @MP_MFC's framing of him in comparison with Ricki Lamie is a sensible way to view it. Is there much of a drop off between the two? Not really. Is there probably a favourable disparity in terms of what we were paying the Bathgate Maldini...probably aye.

I don't necessarily think he's been at the same level as Casey was last season in the 3 alongside McGinn and Butcher but equally I don't think he's really been afforded a run to allow him to bed in to a unit and tbh, It'd be interesting to see what would happen if we were able to drop a defender into the centre of the back 3 who'd elevate the likes of Blaney and Casey.

Blaney is one of the chameleons that make up most teams...if things are going well he's fine, if things are going poorly he'll look poor. 

My main amusement is we signed him partly because of his free kick against us yet we've hardly let him take one...I think he cleared the stand in Perth? But can't remember many more.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I quite like him.

He is naturally left sided and appears reasonably comfortable on the ball.

He is still relatively inexperienced despite being 25 now, has played less than 100 senior games.

I think with a good pre season and the proper coaching he could be a decent CH at our level.

He is under contract so we probably need to put the work in with him as others will be easier to move on/replace.

I rate Blaney.  He is athletic, solid, pacy and can win a header. Also will give a goal of two. We can’t discount he has had a very interrupted time with us due to injuries, inexplicable drop from the team etc. offers a good balance to the team. 

I think given a good run in the side, a good pre season he will be a very decent defender for us. By that point his contract will be due to expire and then he will leave on a free down south. That’s the Motherwell way. 

I seem to be on the opposite side of the fence here. 
I don't think he's awful but I don't think he's any better than the rest of them.

I’d say Blaney is a bit like Bevis in that he is largely fine but also capable of the odd brain fart. 

I seem to remember him bringing the ball out from the back and inexplicably gifting it to an opposition forward , maybe against St Johnstone? 

I think the best our defence has looked was when it was being marshalled by Butcher after January last year. If Butcher is indeed finished at this level then I think we need someone else of that style i.e. a calm composed organiser. We do look frantic at times , often under little pressure . 

There's no one in the squad that I'd complain about if we gave them a new contract, but outside of Miller there's no one I'd really care about if we let them go/sold them.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Blaney is one of the chameleons that make up most teams...if things are going well he's fine, if things are going poorly he'll look poor. 

My main amusement is we signed him partly because of his free kick against us yet we've hardly let him take one...I think he cleared the stand in Perth? But can't remember many more.

I wonder why we don’t roll a free kick back to him, clearing a wall from 15 yards is easier than getting it up and down from 10 yards.  He has the power to rocket it in from 25 yards rather than trying to finesse it in from 20.

22 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I think the best our defence has looked was when it was being marshalled by Butcher after January last year. If Butcher is indeed finished at this level then I think we need someone else of that style i.e. a calm composed organiser. We do look frantic at times , often under little pressure . 

I’ve been quite vocal about the fact that our best option when Butcher was out to me would have been McGinn in the middle. As close to a like for like as Butcher as we had. Similar style and to me would have given a more calming influence in the middle I think. 

34 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I’d say Blaney is a bit like Bevis in that he is largely fine but also capable of the odd brain fart. 

I seem to remember him bringing the ball out from the back and inexplicably gifting it to an opposition forward , maybe against St Johnstone? 

He had similar on Saturday when he turned and put Kelly under pressure with a pass back.  
Part of this is that there obviously isn’t anyone in space to play the ball out to.