Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

No, that was 100% Casey. And for about 90% of the season it showed why he a) didn't get better offers and b) really needs a structured pre-season, which he will this season.

Tbf you could say that nearly every player signs for us because they don't get better offers from elsewhere!

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Easton as the new Spittal is unlikely to go well at all, Easton as the new Nicholson, probably what we'd expect for back-up? Etc etc.

On Easton, thought he looked pretty handy yesterday from what I saw. 

He created Rovers best two chances first half and was only denied a cracking individual goal himself in the 2nd by a great save from Laidlaw. Given his age and the fact he’s spent most of his career playing part time, you can’t imagine he’d cost the world so you can certainly see why Kettlewell would think he’d be worth a punt. 

Can he replace what Spittal produced this season? Probably not but I’m not sure many could. Other than Lionel in his first season, I’m actually struggling to think of any others who’ve hit double figures for goals and assists for us in a single season. See to be honest as much as I like Spittal, I’m not convinced he’d hit anywhere near the same numbers again next season either.

As much as people are concerned about replacing Spittal and potentially Bair, I’m more worried about the other end of the pitch. Stating the obvious but we wouldn’t have to score as many goals next season if we could you know, keep a clean sheet every so often. 

How Kettlewell plans on going about fixing the defensive issues that have plagued us this season is what I’m most interested in this summer. 

Edited by Casagolda

I’m hoping for a 6ft 5 brick shithouse keeper that screams “Mine ! “ every time the ball comes into the box and charges out making clean catches whilst blasting over cowering opposition strikers like skittles.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

How Kettlewell plans on going about fixing the defensive issues that have plagued us this season is what I’m most interested in this summer. 

Same. Also the reason my head is falling off my shoulders that we've offered some sort of deal to all the ooc defenders. 

37 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Same. Also the reason my head is falling off my shoulders that we've offered some sort of deal to all the ooc defenders. 

My one caveat (and reason I've not given up hope yet... 😅) is that we don't know what role we're looking to sign them up for. Potentially only McGinn would start and the rest could be back up to Casey/Blaney/whomever we bring in.

17 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Penalty to Rangers

Don't care. George Long folded Kenny Miller like a paper straw in the play-off at Ibrox and he didn't kick a ball for the next 60 minutes. 

Long was bang average, but he was brave enough to leather folk. That'd do fine.

40 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I just want a team full of horrible b*****ds that will make everyone in the country hate playing us. Is that too much to ask?

Opposed to a team of horrible b*****ds that every one of us hate watching, cause we've done that far too much in since Robbo lost the plot.

2 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I just want a team full of horrible b*****ds that will make everyone in the country hate playing us. Is that too much to ask?

It's not, but it's certainly a team I'd have no interest in watching.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Don't care. George Long folded Kenny Miller like a paper straw in the play-off at Ibrox and he didn't kick a ball for the next 60 minutes. 

Long was bang average, but he was brave enough to leather folk. That'd do fine.

Oh aye, I'm just being flippant tbh! Agree with both you and posters above that would be nice to have someone more imposing in goals, which we've lacked since the Ruddy/Randolph days IMO.

Thinking about it, have we actually had a keeper over 6'3 play for us since George Long? 

Edited by For Your Pies Only

4 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Oh aye, I'm just being flippant tbh! Agree with both you and posters above that would be nice to have someone more imposing in goals, which we've lacked since the Ruddy/Randolph days IMO.

Thinking about it, have we actually had a keeper over 6'3 play for us since George Long? 

Put some respect on Aaron Chapman's name.

4 hours ago, Gallus Numpty said:

It's not, but it's certainly a team I'd have no interest in watching.

Peak Robbo Thunderball was excellent to watch.

I could dine out on that League Cup Semi final against Rangers for a long time!

19 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I’m hoping for a 6ft 5 brick shithouse keeper that screams “Mine ! “ every time the ball comes into the box and charges out making clean catches whilst blasting over cowering opposition strikers like skittles.

Or we give Oxborough a good run in the first team and see what he is all about.

10 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Peak Robbo Thunderball was excellent to watch.

I could dine out on that League Cup Semi final against Rangers for a long time!

Agreed on the first sentence. 

I was a nervous wreck for most of that game, however.  I didn't fully relax until about five minutes to go.  Now, the Scottish Cup Semi against Aberdeen later that season?  What a display of association football that was.  A more complete and comprehensive bodying you're unlikely to see again.