Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Nah you've pretty much got it spot on.

All I can add he was told in late February he was dealing with the wrong people but dismissed it because the club board were the only ones giving him the slightest credibility or entertainment. HIs valuation was £4m back then and it still is today.

Even when he flew over for 5 days and McMahon went in the huff with him he made excuses for it. After than nonsense, anyone with any backbone would have then moved on or dealt with the WS direct.

Well I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks if Erik was right. 

I myself have invested lots of time talking to individuals / groups over numerous deals only to discover later on that they were not the people that hold the real decision making power. Sometimes you cannot get access to the final decision maker. They are protected and it justifies or justified certain Managers responsibilities etc. I still took it as my fault at the time…always. 

That is why I find it remarkable that he did not spend more time aligning or putting a deal on the table that was acceptable or even remotely more acceptable to the Well Society. Perhaps he and the Exec Board simply underestimated the WS and the fact they align a LOT more closely with the fans as well they should. They are fans themselves. 

I see we are 2-0 up at HT v Livi. Good stuff. And Moses is on the scoresheet again….no less than £1.5m next summer 😎

Twas me that mentioned a wee while back about taking the argument out to fb and x, and while it does not seem a worthwhile experience engaging with those who will never change their view, don't under estimate the positive effect your counter arguments can have on those reading the online 'spats', stick with it.

15 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Well I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks if Erik was right. 

I myself have invested lots of time talking to individuals / groups over numerous deals only to discover later on that they were not the people that hold the real decision making power. Sometimes you cannot get access to the final decision maker. They are protected and it justifies or justified certain Managers responsibilities etc. I still took it as my fault at the time…always. 

That is why I find it remarkable that he did not spend more time aligning or putting a deal on the table that was acceptable or even remotely more acceptable to the Well Society. Perhaps he and the Exec Board simply underestimated the WS and the fact they align a LOT more closely with the fans as well they should. They are fans themselves. 

I see we are 2-0 up at HT v Livi. Good stuff. And Moses is on the scoresheet again….no less than £1.5m next summer 😎

If he would have presented his plans to the WS board, they would have given him a hearty handshake and sent him on his way on day 1. Surprised he did dip his toe with St Johnstone as they don't have a ready made facility like the WS subs for him to tap into. Quite the little bonus crowdfunder.

This was never about negotiation, it was always about control and getting us to help pay and not question it. £1.95m doesn't sound as good as the £3.3m he's tried to sell it as to the dopey elements among our support.

Initially he wanted the whole loan written off in full, then on the 10th it became half, then a week later that what would be used to "buy" the 4.1% to give the WS the 50.1%. A benign, interest free, repayment free thing sitting as security against the stadium that no accountant I know has said is a problem, in fact universally said it was useful.

Looking through the heads of terms. Irony is astounding.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely wonder what yer man's plan is if you're relegated.

Becoming the 4th best football top sold in 'Murica doesn't hinge on actually being in the William Hill Premiership League, and may actually be a hindrance. How much more likely are they to buy into something that says "local team with a good chance of winning The CHAMPIONSHIP!"?
AI, and the MFCAPP, and global sales and recognition, and being unknown in your postcode but ripping off foreigners a la Braves can be done from any league.

7 minutes ago, AnderooMFC said:

ripping off foreigners a la Braves can be done from any league.

Surprised they haven't been cancelled in the States yet. I suppose it must be OK as long as you have a claymore instead of a tomahawk.

‘Dehumanizing’ and ‘racist.’ Native leaders decry Braves' "Tomahawk Chop"

30 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

If he would have presented his plans to the WS board, they would have given him a hearty handshake and sent him on his way on day 1. Surprised he did dip his toe with St Johnstone as they don't have a ready made facility like the WS subs for him to tap into. Quite the little bonus crowdfunder.

I was thinking about this just this morning. It really is amazing. We the fans as the Well Society spend virtually all our funds we have now and in the future.

That in turn helps make Motherwell FC a more successful and attractive proposition. Who gains out of this when it comes time to sell his 49% shareholding. Astounding. 

Why I stated above a red line for me is any commitment for the WS to spend any money at all. Not on a buyback. And not in order to allow an outside investor to make a decent ROI. Any money spent should be a decision taken by the WS in order to improve and protect Motherwell FC. 

Edited by welldaft

Was surprised by the amount of people I saw wearing the new home kit, think seeing it in person it's grown on me slightly.

Was told today that the away top is gray with tartan on it somewhere, unsure how accurate that is though so don't quote me on it.

Edited by camer0n_mcd

It was definitely a pre season friendly. Moderately attacking first half, got the goals. Then it appeared to me anyway that SK wanted to change tactics, not so much formation and we sat a lot deeper in 2nd half. When we were in good positions to attack we decided to stop and play it all the way back. Seemed strange but definitely different tactics to the first half.

I think SK wanted Livi to pile on the pressure to test the defence a bit. Wholesale subs then knocked the game to a quiet stroll for last 20 minutes.

Nice to see Ewan Wilson start at left back and he had some really nice touches and runs up the wing. Everybody else it was about getting minutes in the legs and nobody really tried to burst a lung at any point. Pretty standard pre season stuff

Not a lot to get excited about today.

Moses was a bright spot in the first half. But otherwise we looked toothless in attack. Strupevic didn't do much when he was on. Harry Paton should not be playing in a forward position but it seems kettlewell wants him to be the new Spittal. Doesn't have the talent for that. O'Donnell continues to be worthless as an attacking threat.

We didn't look cohesive at all. Livi number 6 should have equalised after some shocking playing out the back.