Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

The bold Thistle looking for yesterday’s game to be replayed seemingly. 

STV have suggested that, but nowhere else (including the club’s own statement where they admit they’ve written to the SPFL asking for clarification) does.

A replay seems like a far-fetched suggestion, obviously, but I’d imagine some form of compensation will be paid.

7 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

STV have suggested that, but nowhere else (including the club’s own statement where they admit they’ve written to the SPFL asking for clarification) does.

A replay seems like a far-fetched suggestion, obviously, but I’d imagine some form of compensation will be paid.

I'd be astounded if we got any compensation, we'll get an apology and that'll be it. Not as if we were bringing on Ronaldo circa 1996 for the last 10 minutes.

I get that it's annoying that if any club fucks up their teamlines or plays an ineligible player it's a 3-0 default or get thrown out whereas if the officials mess up it's a "lol what are we like" but we've put out a statement to appease fans and everyone will move on.

7 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I'd be astounded if we got any compensation, we'll get an apology and that'll be it. Not as if we were bringing on Ronaldo circa 1996 for the last 10 minutes.

I get that it's annoying that if any club fucks up their teamlines or plays an ineligible player it's a 3-0 default or get thrown out whereas if the officials mess up it's a "lol what are we like" but we've put out a statement to appease fans and everyone will move on.

They'll blame it on the "new system" they're using now, that's as simple as it comes to work and is fine in hundreds of other leagues yet baffles our lot.

20 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

As you said, if a club makes a similar type of mistake then they are hit in the pocket.

If Thistle go through yesterday, that’s £30k extra (minimum) in prize money, plus the gate from the next round and beyond. Not an insignificant sum of money to a Scottish Championship club.

A replay is never going to happen because that would be punishing Motherwell for something which is absolutely nothing to do with them. But Thistle should be seeking compensation, and justifiably so.

59 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

BBC Scotland website reporting it now too. As others say though, shite state of affairs for Thistle that the officials won't be held to account in the same way that a team would for such an error, but a replay will not happen. Token apology and move on, it's the SFA way.

27 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Fine the OF £100 every time a song about a war in another country is sung and the SFA would have 30k by mid August to compensate Thistle.

£3m

29 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Fine the OF £100 every time a song about a war in another country is sung and the SFA would have 30k by mid August to compensate Thistle.

Mid August? Rangers play Hearts in th early kick off next Saturday, 30k before celtic even kick a ball.

32 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Can we no just fine them for hee-haw just for the sake of it?

One weird thing about yesterday was that it never felt like Thistle were throwing the kitchen sink at it late on despite needing the win - they were fairly slow to restart dead balls and probably carried less threat as the game went on after looking quite dangerous at times - the ridiculous situation with the sub maybe explains that a bit, but not completely. 

Edited by Swello

6 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

Aye there's definitely "narrative adjustments" being made to suit the fact some people don't like/rate him. That's totally fine, but at least attempt to understand the role he's being asked to play, rather than just calling him shite because he's not playing the role you want him to play.

He's not a solid/strong defensive midfielder in the form of an Andy Rose or anything, but he'll come in and double up on someone, win the ball and turn out into space with it. He's useful and I get why he plays. He's not an attacking/box to box type (and never will be) and I think there's unrealistic expectations being placed on him by some.

I argued that when he came into the team more regularly last October-ish, Spittal was freed up to go and play more creatively and give him the outlet he was looking for, albeit the defence behind him was a disaster most of the time which didn't help.

Edit: I wonder if @RandomGuy. has some stats/information on his defensive ability/ball winning etc? Would be interesting to see him compared with other, similar players.

FWIW, with the new, more basic but I like them more because I need to make something different every 12 months, chart.

well.thumb.png.0023f20a769e4cee7fdb53f5c29221c7.png

Good "aggressive" CM but doesnt really help much in possession or attack?

FWIW(2)

Spoiler

slattery.thumb.png.7936725cc1006aa49c82d9d797e1b473.png

Slattery almost the complete opposite? So would work well together?

miller.thumb.png.96405f03af94d2add74826ca81a8a14b.png

Miller is just great at everything, basically. The low points there maybe why you're apparently playing him higher?

halliday.thumb.png.5cc129878bb0e14dce3f6209089fc1be.png

Meh.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW, with the new, more basic but I like them more because I need to make something different every 12 months, chart.

well.thumb.png.0023f20a769e4cee7fdb53f5c29221c7.png

Good "aggressive" CM but doesnt really help much in possession or attack?

FWIW(2)

Reveal hidden contents

slattery.thumb.png.7936725cc1006aa49c82d9d797e1b473.png

Slattery almost the complete opposite? So would work well together?

miller.thumb.png.96405f03af94d2add74826ca81a8a14b.png

Miller is just great at everything, basically. The low points there maybe why you're apparently playing him higher?

halliday.thumb.png.5cc129878bb0e14dce3f6209089fc1be.png

Meh.

Kinda what I expected it to say, he's a pure ball winner but not much more than that. Cheers!