Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Randomly reading some French football media and they are linking Max Johnston with a move to….. PSG ffs. 

Seemingly he was outstanding in a friendly between both sides recently and they loved what they saw. As such have expressed an interest and are monitoring him.

Would be just our luck if he went for £10m plus and we get hee haw. 

Just now, wellboy1991 said:

Randomly reading some French football media and they are linking Max Johnston with a move to….. PSG ffs. 

Seemingly he was outstanding in a friendly between both sides recently and they loved what they saw. As such have expressed an interest and are monitoring him.

Would be just our luck if he went for £10m plus and we get hee haw

We'd get a % of the fee as part of the solidarity payment. Not a huge amount but some.

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

I still think he will be a decent signing for you guys though if he can screw nut.

A phrase that has followed Tony Watt for his entire career. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

We'd get a % of the fee as part of the solidarity payment. Not a huge amount but some.

I feel as though I have mentioned this before but you can negotiate sell on clauses into the type of deal we got for Max as well, ie youngster leaving on a 'free' at the end of his contract.

We might have asked for less upfront with a 10% sell on clause for talking sake.

We done it with Allan Campbell.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

£10m fee would get you ~£200k I think, just from that process.

On Tony Watt, he has a point to prove so you'll benefit from a top flight quality striker until he achieves that, I imagine. I'd imagine he wants to finish above United so you'll get a full season out him before the worm turns and he's away again.

Just catching up on the Watt stuff. 

I've said a few times this summer that it was going to be tough to recruit players for our formation as finding someone who's not quite a 10, not quite a winger and not an out and out striker would be tough but I think that pretty much sums Watt up.

I'm glad it's on loan and I'm glad it's not one of the loan to buy like it was with Halliday (at least that we know of).

I wasn't so pleased at his celebration at Tannadice, but I don't think in his nomadic career anyone has ever earmarked Tony Watt for his diplomacy skills.

Regardless if it was Rangers or not, at the weekend we played a left back there in his second league start last week, so we definitely need reinforcements. 

I think it can be a very mutually beneficial move if he hits the ground running (and stays injury free).

3 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

Would be just our luck if he went for £10m plus and we get hee haw. 

Last I read it was Birmingham and Luton on loan from Sturm Graz. Definitely two ends of the scale! 

I wouldn't say I'm confident Watt will do well but since he's here we might as well be optimistic.

Key thing is it's a short-term deal - playing for his future and, frankly, a spikey little challenge in winning over a handful of haters is probably the dream psychological situation.

I would have preferred (and think we still need) another eight and a half to 10 sort of player but let's be honest, even as a forward dropping back, he's probably a first XI player for us in either 3-5-2 or 3-6-1 atm.

That's over a dozen signings now and we've still two weeks to the window...no argument who's responsible now though I still think SK gets until the November break at least before we sharpen pitchforks.

19 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I wouldn't say I'm confident Watt will do well but since he's here we might as well be optimistic.

This is where I am tbf. He's here, I'll get behind him.

I’m fine about Watt being here, but would have been fine if he didn’t come as well. Im hoping he does well, but when he was here before I think it was a classic right time right place thing and I’m not sure we’ll capture that again. I’d be delighted to be wrong though.

I find the whole pantomime villain aspect hard to get too wound up about. A bit of me is happy when someone leaves and gives you a good reason to dislike them, it’s all part of the thing. It’s like when people pretend they’d rather watch nice total football every week - naw ye widnae, you want a big two footed tackle on someone that’s been ripping the shit out the defence for 30 minutes. 

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I've said a few times this summer that it was going to be tough to recruit players for our formation as finding someone who's not quite a 10, not quite a winger and not an out and out striker would be tough but I think that pretty much sums Watt up.

I think this is a great point and it kind of speaks to how chaotic our summer has been that we've actually ended up with a player who is as close to a fit to that very specific position as we're likely to get within our budget but only after we've signed but only after we've been forced into it by 6 injuries to players in those positions (3 of whom are new signings).

Like, had we not had those injuries would we have still signed Tony Watt?

I think it sums up how passive the Well Society AGM was when the return of Watt dominates the forum. I think everybody is giving the new board some breathing space. 

I would like to have heard the positive/negative affect on membership numbers but this wasn't available. A less garbled report on WS finances would have been helpful - somebody needs to have a word with Tom Feely on his presentation style. Hopefully there will be some news on potential investment/sponsorship soon call it what you will.  

Hopefully the addition of Stephen Cameron to the board will happen as I think it is well deserved and needed.

35 minutes ago, Wellwatcher said:

Hopefully the addition of Stephen Cameron to the board will happen as I think it is well deserved and needed.

I'm yet to join the WS, as the planets have negatively aligned, and I find myself working for 42 days on a new contract before my first revenue drops. Anyways, that's the world of contracting.....

As I mentioned before, I'd be looking east versus west for international exposure. Absolutely no coincidence that the big historical football betting scandals have occurred in that part of the world. Hopefully I can contribute positively once I have enrolled.....