Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

12 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I have to say Tony, that not sticking your fingers in your ears in front of the Motherwell fans when you scored against them subsequently, would probably have a different way to go about it.

He wasn't really throwing the first stone there tbf, I have no problem with him doing that.

5 hours ago, David1979 said:

I thought I'd share a few reflections on my decision-making process for the Well Society board before I finalise my selections.

The first thing I've noticed is that many people are basing their decisions on what individual candidates contribute in terms of work experience, career history, and so forth.

For me, that isn't a primary concern.

As we've already observed, we can engage those individuals and their skillsets through the workstreams and various other projects. We don't need someone on the board just to make use of their skills or experience.

If we're honest, if it were about experience and contributions, then individuals like Douglas Dickie and Tom Feely should be an automatic choice every single time. Both are immensely experienced with skillsets beneficial to the board.

No, for me there is one criterion that outweighs all others.

When there's a tough decision to be made, such as the Barmack situation, where the executive board might be leaning in a direction that doesn't quite align with fan views or interests, can those on the Society board be trusted to stand firm and vote appropriately? Or will they be influenced by a brief visit to the "big" board's offices for a cup of tea and a biscuit?

I don't want someone on the board because they can enhance marketing, financial stewardship, or anything similar.

I want someone on the board because they truly understand fan ownership.

I'm observing many candidates who are undoubtedly qualified in their day jobs and career experiences, and I've seen many of them actively engaging on the forums and social media over the past few weeks. However, when we were all debating with Erik at 11pm on a Friday night, tirelessly posting counterpoints, researching different business models, meticulously reviewing each line and the phrasing of various plans and heads of terms, and working on documents to chart a new course for the Well Society in the face of allegations of lacking experience or credibility compared to the Netflix chap, many of these individuals were notably absent.

Of course, that could be due to circumstance. Were they too busy? Had family issues? All of which is perfectly understandable. But, maybe it's because they simply did not think Erik's proposal was all that problematic?

Everyone will make their choices based on their own criteria. But for me, it doesn't really boil down to what a candidate has achieved in their career, what experience they have, or what they "bring to the table" in that respect. We have multiple workstreams for that.

I'm more interested in what they contributed during perhaps the most critical non-footballing issue we've faced as a club in recent times. And what their actions would be should a situation like that arise again. 

There is already one individual who was very vocal about how he felt during that time, and for that reason he will never get my vote. I'm sure he may well be a perfectly nice guy, but on this particular issue I don't feel I can ever trust him, no matter what other life skills he may provide. If he's really behind the idea of fan ownership then he can sign up for a workstream. He doesn't need a board vote.

Give me someone who has spent their entire working life on a building site and doesn't even own a shirt and tie, but who will do everything in their power to protect the club from the likes of Erik Barmack over someone like a Douglas Dickie.

Those who were part of that process know who they are, and those particular individuals will have my vote this time around. They stood up and were counted when they could have very easily just sat back and did nothing. 

There's one individual in particular who did more than most, and that particular candidate will be the first name I add to my vote later today. 

I concur. My vote went in based on what the individuals have been contributing already in terms of workstreams or roles in the takeover debacle. A few of those citing boardroom experience seem to be mainly angling for the exec board positions so they can continue the status quo of the Old School Tie network keeping the plebs in their place. So they can Fatcalf!

I do hope the people the WS were already talking to with regards to those positions are genuinely involved in the overall picture that is starting to take shape. Last thing we need is a hostile exec board again. Hostile club staff is bad enough to be having to deal with.

Edited by fatcalf

2 hours ago, ClaretAmberb said:

I don't either - particularly having seen some of the stuff being aimed at him 

FWIW, I also love that sort of patter. I'd have been lapping it up if it was the other way. similar to him patting Scott Brown on the Head which i completely forgot about until that social media highlights reel came out.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

He wasn't really throwing the first stone there tbf, I have no problem with him doing that.

Oh aye. I have absolutely nothing against him going to double, or triple his wages or whatever it is at Dundee United, nor would I get too bent out of shape over a goal celebration, but answering his own question there was definitely a different way to go about it. 😆

😂 Tony Watt's press conference just posted.

An entertaining listen to say the least.

"There are brilliant managers who think I'm rubbish and crap managers who think I'm good"

"If everyone was so upset at my opinion I'd have no pals"

Edited by Richie

21 minutes ago, Richie said:

😂 Tony Watt's press conference just posted.

An entertaining listen to say the least.

"There are brilliant managers who think I'm rubbish and crap managers who think I'm good"

"If everyone was so upset at my opinion I'd have no pals"

Saw some of the comments in the Twitter post that went up earlier, some amount of joyless c***s in our support eh?

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

some amount of joyless c***s in our support eh?

I suppose that can happen to some people after a couple of poor seasons, and getting pumped out of competitions by Morton, Raith Rovers and Sligo, but I also suspect that most of these c***s were just born that way.

It might be a bit harder to jump on nowadays, but the acid test for Watt on Sunday would be to score a worldie then recreate his leap for the East Stand wall again. If the nearby fans steady him like in the pic the last time he'll be on his way to redemption, if they dont he's still their pariah and he'll be on his way to join the queue for the physio room (knee).

37 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Saw some of the comments in the Twitter post that went up earlier, some amount of joyless c***s in our support eh?

Stems from never being taken to the Kings at Christmas and understanding the concept of a pantomime villain which Tony plays better than any Crankie.

I'm surprised it was almost 2 and a half years ago that Watt left. I could have swore it was only a couple of windows ago but hey ho. 

I've never really been that arsed about a player leaving - grown men who take it personally need to take a step back. It's all part of the game and if I was getting pelters for doubling my wage I'd be dishing it out to my former club's fans as well. 

He might not hit the heights of last time but one thing I think you can say of Kettlewell is that he has a knack for getting the best out of underperforming forward players. Even if Watt is no more than average, he's probably better than what we currently have available. 

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

It might be a bit harder to jump on nowadays, but the acid test for Watt on Sunday would be to score a worldie then recreate his leap for the East Stand wall again. If the nearby fans steady him like in the pic the last time he'll be on his way to redemption, if they dont he's still their pariah and he'll be on his way to join the queue for the physio room (knee).

Let’s no have anyone jumping anywhere. Hard enough keeping them fit when they’re only running. 

7 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Has anyone listened to the Ben Banks Motherwell Times podcast in that link? Is it worth me devoting 46 minutes to?

Interested in the answer to this. I'm interested in a podcast that talks about us where I don't need to listen to folk bigging up hearts and hibs.

29 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Has anyone listened to the Ben Banks Motherwell Times podcast in that link? Is it worth me devoting 46 minutes to?

It's a best XI from the turn of the century chat, something done on here in a normal summer.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

It's Friday. I'm buzzing about Motherwell again.

Glad you are.

Genuinely feeling like a total Davie downer about the side just now. Have zero faith or confidence in this side or manager to provide entertainment. There are no redeeming factors to the side and even watching Miller is getting frustrating as he is getting played out of position and we aren’t getting the best from him. 

I feel like a right moaning b*****d but the thought of watching McGinn, SODs, Halliday etc all season is going to bore me to tears. You know that the manager won’t be changing formation anytime soon and you know it’s going to take a few months before he realises that he has better players on the bench ie Balmer and maybe Kaleta. 

In all my 40+ years of watching Motherwell I have hated sides but I don’t think I have ever been as apathetic towards a side. Stama looked the part last week and his injury just scunnered me even more. Having no pace and very little flair in the side also you know it’s going to be one paced, one dimensional football. 

The Tony Watt thing has giving it a wee bit more of an interest mind you. I’ll be there but it’s going to be a chore. 

4 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Glad you are.

Genuinely feeling like a total Davie downer about the side just now. Have zero faith or confidence in this side or manager to provide entertainment. There are no redeeming factors to the side and even watching Miller is getting frustrating as he is getting played out of position and we aren’t getting the best from him. 

I feel like a right moaning b*****d but the thought of watching McGinn, SODs, Halliday etc all season is going to bore me to tears. You know that the manager won’t be changing formation anytime soon and you know it’s going to take a few months before he realises that he has better players on the bench ie Balmer and maybe Kaleta. 

In all my 40+ years of watching Motherwell I have hated sides but I don’t think I have ever been as apathetic towards a side. Stama looked the part last week and his injury just scunnered me even more. Having no pace and very little flair in the side also you know it’s going to be one paced, one dimensional football. 

The Tony Watt thing has giving it a wee bit more of an interest mind you. I’ll be there but it’s going to be a chore. 

I understand where you are coming from. It’s like one step forward and two back ATM. We sign players and get excited to see them only for them to be broken almost straight away.

I’m happy with Tony Watt coming back - he was such a grafter last time round and hopefully he can get us playing 20 yards further up the pitch. We haven’t seen the new full backs either so hopefully we have a bit more dynamism down the wings.

I think that SODs and Halliday are intended by SK to be squad players/ experienced subs/ safe pair of hands  which is fine by me. The current injury crisis means they are starting every game and that is making us very slow all over the park.