Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

One of the more low-key points about the McAlear thing is that it probably suggests that we've learned from last year.

Thinking back to the general angst and "WhY dIDn'T wE OfFEr ThEm NeW coNtrAcTS!!!!!!!!!!!" handwringing after Turnbull and Hastie broke into the team and the erm, challenges that exposure appeared to bring in negotiation it appears this time round we've been in dialogue with at least a few of the #YoungMotherwell team whose deals expire at the end of the season now rather than waiting until they're first team regulars. Semple and Devine have already extended, I've no idea whether the McAlear discussion was prompted by the EPL interest but either way it looks like we at least had a conversation about the possibility of him sticking around.

Who knows, maybe we did the same with Turnbull and Hastie last summer but they were reluctant to sign but the fact that we've seen 2 extend and 2 move on (to admittedly  "bigger" clubs) whose deals were due to expire in 2020 suggests a bit of a change in approach. I suppose you can probably chuck James Scott into the 'extend' group as well given he's the same age group and signed up until 2022.

As it stands the other Young Team players whose contracts expire at the end of the season are: Hemfrey, Hussain, Brown, Cornelius, Kettings and Starrs.

Edited by capt_oats

My worry is that (relatively) big clubs appear to be hoovering up all the promising youngsters they can get their hands on at a VERY early age, but how many of them will actually make the grade? And how many more of them woud have made the grade if they'd stayed at their original club a little longer?

Exactly my concern. Especially with the money going around down south. These clubs can afford to stockpile all promising youngsters for relative buttons to them.

Take Chelsea for example they had something like 30 players out on loan last season. I’m sure I read somewhere they had around 50 youngsters of the same age group. That’s mental.

Re Manzinga I'm inclined to see his signing as similar to Mlumbu last year. Basically a 1 year punt. If it works it works. If he doesn't cut the mustard then no great loss .

Don't think Mazinga's signing will have any bearing on signing a striker who is ready to start immediately. Macgennis would suit me fine.

Destroyed within the first sentence right there [emoji23]
Obviously that is the best case scenario but it just seems so unrealistic. 
It's all well and good having lots of excellent young players on your books, they might even win things at youth level, I'm not sure that transcends into senior football though. 

He's signed for Norwich City, not Real Madrid. Looking at their first team squad, they seem to have a few youth team players who have made the step up.

11 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Why, they're one of the 8 teams we can draw as they're unseeded

Correct.

Given our luck in Cup draws and getting paired with Premiership sides, especially away from home, it really would be no surprise if we were drawn away to Hearts. Again.

Correct.
Given our luck in Cup draws and getting paired with Premiership sides, especially away from home, it really would be no surprise if we were drawn away to Hearts. Again.
And if we do, we'll pump them.

We are unstoppable.

What do we reckon our favoured XI will be then?

I'd go for:

Gillespie

Tait
Gallagher
Dunne
Carroll

Ilic
Donnelly
Campbell
Polworth
Hylton

Scott

We have a scary amount of depth in that side, I guess Sloth will take over from Donnelly eventually but on his form you can't drop him.

Also, is Cole injured or has he just really got the 44 curse?

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

Why, they're one of the 8 teams we can draw as they're unseeded

52 minutes ago, MJC said:

Correct.

Aye - made an arse of that - I thought they were seeded....

39 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

What do we reckon our favoured XI will be then?

I'd go for:

Gillespie

Tait
Gallagher
Dunne
Carroll

Ilic
Donnelly
Campbell
Polworth
Hylton

Scott

We have a scary amount of depth in that side, I guess Sloth will take over from Donnelly eventually but on his form you can't drop him.

Also, is Cole injured or has he just really got the 44 curse?

I think sloth will challenge Polworth for a place. 

Heard Cole had a niggle and struggling to gain fitness at the moment, hopefully he can prove an asset to our team. 

Have some good depth out wide with Seedorf with possibly the opportunity of using Long, Cole and Manzinga out wide aswell. 

Still with Tanner and Turnbull we have some great depth.

Depends on who the "starter" forward Robinson's been talking about is and what sort of shape they're in but I'd guess that, give or take, this is roughly where we are at the moment?

He's already hinted that some players are behind others in terms of fitness but given Robinson's got expectations in terms of the intensity he wants his side to play at you'd think that might factor in with guys like Cole, Sloth, Long, Hylton, Seedorf etc at the moment.

There's an amount of flexibility below tbf. Maguire can cover DM and CB, Ilic can cover LB as can Tait, the wingers can play on either flank.

1849891482_ScreenShot2019-07-27at20_31_12.png.d1b7fb6339c7ad97eee331c6c108e492.png

Edited by capt_oats

I’d guess the main team selection “problems” have solved themselves. I’m as comfortable as I can remember with Gallagher and Dunne as centre backs and Carroll and Tait look certain starters without Carroll being tested defensively at all.

In midfield, I think Sloth will eventually overtake the goal machine Donnelly, but Campbell and Polworth look certain starters until Turnbull comes back.

On the wings at the moment, I’d start Hylton and Seedorf. However I’m not convinced about Seedorf or Ilic although I think both will improve tenfold as the seasons goes on. I’d still take Gboly if he’s available and willing.

Upfront Scott has shown far more than Long for me so far. I’d start with Scott unless Robinson is seeing something in Cole in training.

Goalkeeper is Gillespie unless he starts making mistakes from nowhere. I can’t remember a keeper catching more crosses than him. Class act.