Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, jam20 said:

I think anyone who is punting themselves for the job won't be getting the job.

I really hope that's true. I guess that we either have a replacement in mind (lined up already?) or the fact that Robinson is on-board allows them a little time to see who's up for it....

I'm not mad on the twitter - but has 'Flow said anything on his personal account yet?

I really hope that's true. I guess that we either have a replacement in mind (lined up already?) or the fact that Robinson is on-board allows them a little time to see who's up for it....

I'm not mad on the twitter - but has 'Flow said anything on his personal account yet?

I think it really depends on where what our position was with McGhee before he was sacked and how long we'd actively been considering the possibility that we may have to replace him. 

In hindsight I'd have thought his breakdown after the Rangers game may have had the board considering replacing him in summer as a real possibility with his deal expiring, that'd probably have become less pressing after the County game and us sitting 6th but I'd have thought it'd still have been a consideration. For me the 7-2 and ensuing carnage would have been the point at which we'd possibly have been looking at a genuine reality of moving him on imminently with the 5-1 and the performance at the weekend being the point at which his position became completely untenable.

If you factor in the notion that he'd have been looking at another ban following his sending off at Pittodrie then that's another genuine reason that you'd think that the board may have been considering his position. Had we won on Saturday then I'm fairly sure he'd still be in a job but equally I wouldn't have been surprised if the club would still have been drawing up a shortlist of potential replacements.

I'd be quite surprised if (at this juncture) we'd just gone ahead and binned McGhee without a reasonable idea of who we might be interested in & who may be interested. Seems sort of relevant to mention that with McGhee we approached him rather than him having applied (apparently).

Also, there's been nothing from 'Flow on his Twitter as far as I can see.

I see the club are advertising for Supporter Liason Officers. If you can power through the jargon-heavy job description (that is like something for a 100k-a-year job in a FTSE 100 firm) - it sounds like a decent role for the right people. I'm sure free entry to home and away games (and travel expenses to away games) will appeal to a lot of people but it looks like a big investment in time for a voluntary role (ie - you need to be at the club at times during the "normal" working week) - so it would probably suit someone who is a total die-hard already....

I think it's good that the club are doing this as a lot of the stuff that goes on could be easily solved without the usual fuss. If they can get clubs to open more than one turnstyle when we have an away game in the cup, they'd be worth every penny the club spends :)

This is probably already known and should have been clear from the last time the job was going anyway but it seems Craigan categorically ruled himself out of wanting the job when he was on BT last night:

""I said clearly that it's not for me" he told BT Sport "I don't want it.""

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15125417.Stephen_Craigan_not_interested_in_Motherwell_vacancy___It_s_not_for_me_/

In honesty as long as he's got the BT gig and is as successful as he's been with the MFC u20s I'd be surprised if there was much appetite from him to take on a first team management job in the foreseeable future.

• 2 weeks later...

Jane Lewis on Twitter there saying that neither Billy Davies or Owen Coyle applied for the job (although McGhee never applied either.....) - so it would be interesting to know who the 4 names are on the shortlist (as well as our current caretaker manager). Also makes you think that some folk would rather be out of work than lower themselves to manage a diddy team...

Also makes you think that some folk would rather be out of work than lower themselves to manage a diddy team...

I don't imagine Coyle or Davies will be signing on between jobs.
Davies especially,is he not still on gardening leave?

Billy Davies is a weird one. He's whores himself out to some jobs you wouldn't expect him to and then stays away from jobs you'd expect him to be in the mix for. For example, when we sacked Alex Rae when we were in the First Division he and Paw Broon wanted to be manager and DoF combo with us. Due to wages and fan demand, we plumped for Jocky instead.

Jane Lewis on Twitter there saying that neither Billy Davies or Owen Coyle applied for the job (although McGhee never applied either.....) - so it would be interesting to know who the 4 names are on the shortlist (as well as our current caretaker manager). Also makes you think that some folk would rather be out of work than lower themselves to manage a diddy team...

Is Davies not supposed to still be on gardening leave from Forest or such? If so then it's not a huge surprise he'd not be that interested. He was also cutting about Fir Park the last time the job was going IIRC so I'm not sure if he was overlooked then as well. He was brutal in his first stint so I'm hardly gutted to hear he's not in the running. His tenure genuinely put me off going to games.

Given McCulloch's situation at Killie I'd have been amazed if he'd applied anyway so that one's hardly a shock either.

I'm fairly ambivalent about Coyle as well.

The only other obvious applicant beyond Robinson is Valakari given that tweet that went out from his assistant the other day, as for the other 3? Who knows? It's a really difficult one to work out who'd actually be interested. With previous appointments such as Brown, McCall and McGhee's 2nd stint it's pretty difficult to 2nd guess who we'd appoint tbh.

If they're doing their interviews on Monday you'd have thought at least a few (if not all) of the applicants would be at the game tomorrow.

I have a funny feeling it will be Simo, actually. Given the rebuilding job we're likely to face in the summer, it makes sense to have someone in with some fresh ideas now - what it does perhaps lead to is Robinson and Faddy staying in post until the end of the season (they know the set up and the players etc) with a view to Simo getting his own folk in later...

Almost certainly won't happen now but he'd be my choice out of all those mentioned thus far.