Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Burns has been ordered to fight the number 1 WBA contender, who is some boy from Belarus I've never heard of.

Boxrec have him outside the top 200 in the world...

Sounds like the Eddie Hearn chequebook flexing muscle again imo. Pretty hard to believe Burns let alone Di Rocco got a shot at that 140 title despite what anyone thinks of the WBA belts.

If I knew how to do GIFs we would all be enjoying a constant loop of Fury uppercutting himself.

He's changed a bit over time though hasn't he? Going to Klitschkos back yard and coming back victorious was great for the sport.

He's changed a bit over time though hasn't he? Going to Klitschkos back yard and coming back victorious was great for the sport.

Totally agree. Could the same question mark over AJ not be levelled at Wilder? Who's he fought of substance?

Totally agree. Could the same question mark over AJ not be levelled at Wilder? Who's he fought of substance?

That's something Joshua has in his favour just now. Wilder KOd a succession of ring announcers for a much longer period of time.

Yeah I give him credit for the win and all, Im just not ready to accept he is the best heavyweight in the sport. I think he will be beaten soon although I would take an outside bet we dont ever see him in the ring again.

He's the guy that beat the guy so has to be number 1 right now. What's happened since hasn't looked very good for him or the UKs international reputation for holding belts hostage.

Yeah I give him credit for the win and all, Im just not ready to accept he is the best heavyweight in the sport. I think he will be beaten soon although I would take an outside bet we dont ever see him in the ring again.

I agree with that. I certainly doubt he'll be boxing in 4-5years time in any case.

Certainly thats part of it. Fury fought a tremendous fight, but that doesnt eliminate years worth of Fury looking sloppy and a little chinny. People tend to get a bit high off one performance in boxing but Klit, legend though he is, is old, has spent years knocking over a succession of bums who either had no talent, no heart or both.

Plus it appears he may have been doping anyway.

Seems like AJ is following a similar path then.

We have to remember that apart from a few well publicised purple patches over the past half century the heavyweight division has never been the most competitive.

The overall standard of the fighters in the division has rarely been lower though. Regular Champions from other eras would have dominated the last 10-15 years imo.

The overall standard of the fighters in the division has rarely been lower though. Regular Champions from other eras would have dominated the last 10-15 years imo.

You're talking about fantasy boxing now.  Like him or not Klitschko  dominated that division (excluding his brother) for a very long period of time.  It's never been a consistently entertaining division and more people that comment on the sport should understand this.

Edited by Pete Rockwell

Might seem controversial but I think a lot of previous champions would have struggled with the styles of Vitali and Wladimir

Decent thing to say imo.  Both of them come across well out of the ring as well.  Seem like pretty clever people.

They really wouldn't have. Wlad would have been a top 3 boxer and world champion in any era of the heavyweight division. Heavyweight boxing was 'boring' for a decade because Wlad and Vitali were so far above everyone else that no one was capable of competing. Both were that good, and are comfortably within the top 10 heavyweights of all time.

I don't think we'd have seen Vitali get beat from Fury tbf. Vlad's had a couple of 'shockers' like a lot of heavyweights, Vitali was never even put down and was well ahead of Lewis in my opinion, just a pity his eye was a complete mess.

I don't think we'd have seen Vitali get beat from Fury tbf. Vlad's had a couple of 'shockers' like a lot of heavyweights, Vitali was never even put down and was well ahead of Lewis in my opinion, just a pity his eye was a complete mess.

Have you watched Klitschko-Fury yet or are you commenting on a fight you haven't seen again?

You're talking about fantasy boxing now.  Like him or not Klitschko  dominated that division (excluding his brother) for a very long period of time It's never been a consistently entertaining division and more people that comment on the sport should understand this.

I wasn't denying either of these points.

They really wouldn't have. Wlad would have been a top 3 boxer and world champion in any era of the heavyweight division. Heavyweight boxing was 'boring' for a decade because Wlad and Vitali were so far above everyone else that no one was capable of competing. Both were that good, and are comfortably within the top 10 heavyweights of all time.

Hard to gauge that considering who they fought imo. That's not to say they weren't good but do you put them above guys like Ken Norton for example who briefly became HW Champion in an era that contained Ali, Foreman & Frazier? Larry Holmes? Liston? Bowe? Witherspoon? Terrell? Spinks (both)? 

Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Holyfield, Lewis, Tyson, Marciano, Louis... Thats 9 that jumped straight into my head. I dont think you can squeeze either Klit into the last slot. Vitali IMO was by far the better but layoffs took a big bite out of his prime. Wlad has lost too many times to people he should have beaten to be considered in the top ten of all time. Now I fully believe he could have been competitive in any era and maybe got among the belts, but that jab and grab shit wouldnt have got the job done against any legit great heavyweight.

In fairness, Marciano had the same lack of quality opponent argument leveled at him as the Klitchos.

Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Holyfield, Lewis, Tyson, Marciano, Louis... Thats 9 that jumped straight into my head. I dont think you can squeeze either Klit into the last slot. Vitali IMO was by far the better but layoffs took a big bite out of his prime. Wlad has lost too many times to people he should have beaten to be considered in the top ten of all time. Now I fully believe he could have been competitive in any era and maybe got among the belts, but that jab and grab shit wouldnt have got the job done against any legit great heavyweight.

Liston, Langford, Norton etc. They'd struggle to get into to top 20.

In fairness, Marciano had the same lack of quality opponent argument leveled at him as the Klitchos.

Off the top off my head Marciano has beaten the likes of Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles, Joe Louis and Archie Moore. Vladimir has beaten David Haye.