Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

1 hour ago, sjc said:

My thinking that GGG would more likely step up to SMW was more in relation to him running out of people willing to fight him in the MW division and that he criticised Canelo for fighting a WW..........which he's now doing.

FWIW I think it'll be a good fight but can only see a win by KO/TKO for GGG.

He criticised Canelo because yet again he wouldn't fight him after saying he would, but chose to fight Khan at a catchweight.  GGG literally has no options as nobody will fight him, which is why he's fighting Brook at MW.  He's said he wants to unify all the belts (currently missing the WBO that Saunders holds) and to break Hopkins record of 20 title defences, before he moves up.

One of the best fighters of this generation, but some doubt his ability as nobody is willing to fight the guy.

I'd rather see Brook travel and take on a top 147 tbh and then we can learn something new about the division instead of another circus show so soon after Alvarez - Khan. 

Golovkin comes out of this looking worse though can't imagine why K2/HBO don't just sling Saunders whatever outrageous sum he's asking for so that Golovkin can finally move on to 168. 

Why is a champion v champion fight a bad thing? Sure one is a weight below but he looks like he could pretty handily make the step up. Can't be many negatives. 

36 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Why is a champion v champion fight a bad thing? Sure one is a weight below but he looks like he could pretty handily make the step up. Can't be many negatives. 

It's 2 weights, and it's just frustrating that one of the best fighters around just now is having to fight welterweights because no one in his own division has the balls to face him

11 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Leeds card looking good. Dillian Whyte v Dave Allen confirmed.

Aye that's a decent looking card, Whyte and Nurse two good British level fights, boy Campbell is in against is no easy fight either 

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

There's talk of Whyte vs Tarver in the near future, I like that fight if it materialises.

Obviously if Whyte beats him then Tarver is over the hill and only over in the UK for a payday.

Then if Tarver wins Whyte was a jobber anyway.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Tarver just drew with Cunningham and is still ranked #11 on Boxrec.

He's a 47 year old man who made his name over a decade ago at 175 and has fought 6 times this decade.  This fight tells us nothing about Whyte unless he gets beaten.

Flight for me, but will be sure to tweet big Eddie before we leave when I'm in the airport bar.

Hopefully be able to download Dickens vs Rigo to watch on the flight so I'm allowed to keep posting in this thread. Could do with the extra hour's sleep as well.