Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

39 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

The Eubank of then is a distant memory. He's a whole different animal now and improving with every fight. He'll win the tournament imo.

Although Callum Smith wasn’t great in his last outing I think he has Eubanks number if they eventually meet. I like groves but think Eubank might have too much for him now.

Don't think Cox landed anything of note on Groves whatsoever. His ragged style and rushing him at the ropes, plus the crowd & commentators reactions, made it look that way.

His punch selection is much better than Smith's and Eubank's.  Groves to win whole thing at 9/4 (3rd favourite) has a lot of value. Sure shaping up nicely.

It's only £9.95 ya miserable b*****d [emoji23]

It’s £9.95 this week, £9.95 last week, £10 the week before that £20 in a fortnight.

You think those who just have a passing interest in boxing are going to pay £50 in a month to watch boxing ON TV?? It’s a farce. All the potential fans that could have potentially been drawn into the sport to ensure its long term survival if they were actually encouraged- and not dissuaded - to actually watch boxing live.

That is absolute bollocks. He was a novice then and it showed badly. Too many fans have a blind spot when it comes to Jnr. Ps I know the novice line has been wheeled out on a regular basis but that's only cos it's true. Let's remember you're the man that wasn't sure if Josh Taylor could handle a 34 year old, shot-worn Burns.

Aye and I still think he’d struggle- you don’t KNOW taylor would beat burns. You just think he would. You don’t have a clue about Taylor’s ability to go the 12 round distance or how he reacts when he fights someone who doesn’t go down.

What’s improved? What fights you basing that on? He’s fought a succession of punch bags since that fight.

So you DON'T think he's got any better? Really? At what point does he start getting credit? After beating Groves? Fair enough the best he's fought is Abraham but he looks to be boxing well within himself. I can't see anyone left in the Super 8 stopping him and with the unbelievable engine on him he won't be outboxed.

Aye and I still think he’d struggle- you don’t KNOW taylor would beat burns. You just think he would. You don’t have a clue about Taylor’s ability to go the 12 round distance or how he reacts when he fights someone who doesn’t go down.

Fair enough, you're right I don't know but Taylor looks to have a lot more in his locker than Burns. Too young and too fresh and has shown far more than Burns did at that age. I reckon he'd be the first man to stop Ricky.

He’s got far more potential and ability than Ricky ever had. But he’s not been tested yet, potential is t always fulfilled and sometimes you find folk have glaring weaknesses in their game I.e Khan’s chin/defence and ability to follow a game plan

I agree but I think you're playing Devils Advocate here. If I handed you £50 to place a bet on Burns v Taylor next weekend who would you stick it on?

Would depend on the odds and what I thought was better value. But I’d favour burns. I know he’d last the distance, wouldn’t get stopped and had the experience and know how to follow instruction under pressure or if he’s hurt. I don’t know that about Taylor. He’s not much more than a novice in pro terms fighting an ex world champion whose been in with some of the best about in Crawford.

Would depend on the odds and what I thought was better value. But I’d favour burns. I know he’d last the distance, wouldn’t get stopped and had the experience and know how to follow instruction under pressure or if he’s hurt. I don’t know that about Taylor. He’s not much more than a novice in pro terms fighting an ex world champion whose been in with some of the best about in Crawford.

Fair enough and I should add I'm a huge Burns fan. I think the vicious body shots Taylor threw against Davies (another relative novice I know) could be what would be Burns' undoing. A fight I'd love to see happen and if it does I reckon it would be the back end of next year -dependant on the outcome of any Crolla rematch - and Rickys swansong.

Interesting points on here tonight. I think Taylor beats burns on points. Taylor’s work to the body is up there with the best I’ve seen for a while but I don’t think burns would be stopped by them. Ricky is a top pro and deserves all the credit he gets. The end is nigh though.

Terence Crawford couldn’t stop Burns, so does anyone seriously think Taylor would? That said, I think Taylor would beat him on points.

The fight with Burns was probably Crawfords' watershed moment and he's gone on to become one of the top pound for pounds since then and Burns has racked up a substantial amount of mileage on the back of that loss. All things considered I think there's every chance Taylor would stop him and I'd put decent money on it happening.

3 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Terence Crawford couldn’t stop Burns, so does anyone seriously think Taylor would? That said, I think Taylor would beat him on points.

That was 3 and a half years ago though, Burns is worse now than he was then. I would back Taylor to stop him, i don't think the fight happens though.

I like Eubank, but work rate alone isn't gonna win him this fight

I disagree. I think his work rate is precisely what will win him the fight with Groves. Eubank will be able to sustain a relentless pace for 12 rounds and eventually I think he'll wear Groves down who let's not forget has always been suspect during the back end of fights where he tends to fade.

I can't wait for this fight as it'll answer a lot of questions about Jnr and for me prove he is 100% the real deal.