Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

57 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Too early to call IMO. I have my doubts also, but Fury is still young enough that the enforced time away might not have made all that much difference. And there’s still no heavyweight on the scene currently who can move his head like Fury does.

I dont think it is too early to call tbh. The abuse he has given his body and the time elapsed away from competition all count as miles on his clock, as well as his repeated statements about having met his goals. His body has aged, his mind is gone. Not many examples you could point to in boxing where someone got that back

Canelo has failed a drug's test. GGG fight is off

Fight still on by all accounts. Seems to have been let off on the acceptance that it was contaminated meat.

Strange that Golden Boy announced it, and that he's just been let off without any consequences.

The top end of the heavyweight division is the most competitive and interesting it’s been since the 90s, best is subjective and the Klitschko’s in their prime both would have done damage, but it’s certainly the most interesting.

The official cards that have been released were a disgrace, and lean towards “Ortiz needed a knockout for a draw” territory, but aside from eradicating the corruption (which is that it is) in cases like this, or human error in other instances, there’s nothing you can do. Compubox registers punch stats, but that tells you nothing of the quality and effect of the punches, and scoring is also based on ring generalship, defence and intelligent pressure as well, and all of these are completely subjective, so there’s no way of computerising that element. It’s certainly not a perfect situation, and it does leave the opportunity for bad / criminal decisions, but I don’t really see an alternative.

Not seen the fight yet as I was away all weekend but open scoring would minimise it as we could see the robbery unfolding in front of our eyes. Harder to tell lies when everyone gets a chance to scrutinise it there and then.

So there was a secret to his massive weight cutting to give him hugely favourable matchups. Cheating c**t. Hope GGG utterly hounds him this time.

Sorry to skip back to the heavyweights but it’s a fascinating period ahead. AJ, Parker, Fury and Wilder are such a varied bunch of fighters. 

AJ is probably the most fearsome package and most likely to come out on top but I think he knows he’s not invincible. Yes he came back from being rattled by Klitschko but that “weightlifter” build is a sign of fear IMO. He scoffs at Wilder’s build because in his eyes bulking up makes him feel stronger and less vulnerable. In his last fight it was fine against a much smaller guy who didn’t offer much beyond great heart but the other three big guns can’t have failed to notice how static AJ gets. Fury certainly spotted it.

Fury? Who knows. Can he even keep out of some form of bother before fighting again?  He says he’s already ready to fight.

Parker. I find him chronic to watch but there are a couple of elements to him that mean he deserves to be in this company. He finds power out of nowhere. Like George Foreman he throws these punches that look like there’s nothing in them but the opponent looks like they’ve just been hit by a van. Plus he just goes for it, head down, arms flailing like Tyson would. Not saying he has anything like the talent of these guys but having these things in his game mean AJ v Parker isn’t a totally foregone conclusion.

I have to admit Wilder is my favourite to watch. His training regime shows he’s a brave guy. He’s not going down the route of simply bulking up. Everything he does is geared around flexibility, speed and ultimately throwing that right even quicker and harder. His latest fight showed him trying out a few different ways to throw that right to land it higher without compromising the speed of it. The more the others dismiss him because of his size the more time he’ll spend perfecting that hammer of a long right hand. Be fascinating to see if he can stick it on AJ. A total outsider with a puncher’s chance but what a punch.

Sorry to bore you! 

TL/DR version 

AJ most likely

Parker - don’t dismiss him as he could hurt big static AJ

Fury - can he make to a fight without getting in trouble?

Wikder - I like him even if few others do