Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Big Zhang is a solid fighter, repeat for me. 

Serious talk coming from the US that despite the rematch being triggered, Crawford wants nothing to do with Spence and instead wants to fight at 168 against Canelo. Absolutely bonkers. 

Nothing in a Spence rematch. He won’t fight at the lower weight, as he’ll lose & there’d be no titles at stake in the higher division.

Crawford will probably target the winner of Charlo/Canelo.

Really enjoyed Zhang's performance on Joyce last time round. He looks a step below the top tier but he's someone I'd like to see against them. Joyce looked utter pish last time.

For that reason, I'm wanting Zhang to kick on again as I think he's the more interesting match up against the top tier even if likely to get beat.

27 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Aye I want to see the big guy get a pay day.  Dismantling Joyce has surely earned him that.

Would he defeat AJ?

I don't think so but it'd be an interesting fight.

He's definitely the best outside the AJ, Fury, Wilder and Usyk tier. I'd maybe like to see him against Ruiz and if he beat him, the hype could really begin.

Edited by Ludo*1

Zhang was excellent in there, but there has to be a word about the performance of Joe Joyce in a career defining fight. He had no idea what to do. No gameplan. He was throwing pitter patter, 70% speed sparring type punches and getting absolutely lamped at the back end of them. If your punch goes out slow it comes back slow and he had already been well warned about being wide open for Zhangs left. 

It's not often I reach the conclusion that a pro (non journeyman) fighter wants absolute none of his opponent, but Joyce wanted none of Big Bang Zhang, who I agree with Ludo to a point, might be a level below the top guys, but it's been a wee while since iv been particularly interested in seeing any of the top guys v any of the B level at heavy, and I'd happily watch this guy ask the question v any of them, with Fury the only one I'd bet my own money on to beat him. 

24 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Anyone else think Zhang vs Usyk is an extremely interesting fight? Only delay may be whilst awaiting the outcome of Dubois camp appeal into the last fight? I think Fury beats Zhang, does Usyk? I'm not convinced

He's earned a shot at any of them. Him v Wilder is particularly fun because someone goes to sleep early. I think he takes out AJ and loses on points to Fury and Usyk but I'm genuinely not confident about any of those, hence.... Let's see it. He's emerged as the most interested opponent available for the guys at the top who have become so determined not to face eachother. 

23 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Zhang was excellent in there, but there has to be a word about the performance of Joe Joyce in a career defining fight. He had no idea what to do. No gameplan. He was throwing pitter patter, 70% speed sparring type punches and getting absolutely lamped at the back end of them. If your punch goes out slow it comes back slow and he had already been well warned about being wide open for Zhangs left.

Gave him the benefit of the doubt in the 1st round when he pawed with the jab for 3 minutes straight thinking he was implementing a game plan for future rounds, but it was as if that last fight against Zhang never happened because the minute the big man started throwing those lefts with a bit of power he couldn’t miss Joyce’s coupon. Genuinely no idea what he went in there to try and do? Shame because Joyce seems like a good guy but he’s had his success in the amateurs and the Olympics, time to hang the gloves up and admit he’s not good enough for world level, especially at his age. Would be interesting to see Zhang in with a Fury or a Usyk. Is he mandatory for Usyks title, is that a fight that is likely to happen?