Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

45 minutes ago, kiddy said:

They’re mandating Hrgovic/Dubois for the title. Winner to take in Joshua.

There’s nothing left in the division, or Boxing, for 37 year old Usyk. He’ll sit in history alongside All the other Legends, arguably as the Greatest.

I think you are going a bit OTT here.

His achievments are outstanding but the fights he has had don't mark him as one of the greatest. His reign at Cruiserweight was dominating because there was no one worth a shit fighting at that weight. Gassiev in the Super Series Final is the stand out. A couple of wins over AJ and a win vs a past his peak Fury is fine but nowhere near GREATEST. He has some work left to do there.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I think you are going a bit OTT here.

His achievments are outstanding but the fights he has had don't mark him as one of the greatest. His reign at Cruiserweight was dominating because there was no one worth a shit fighting at that weight. Gassiev in the Super Series Final is the stand out. A couple of wins over AJ and a win vs a past his peak Fury is fine but nowhere near GREATEST. He has some work left to do there.

Sad Eric Cartman GIF by South Park

You missed out beating Beterbiev as well, by the way.😉

#Casuals, what are they like.

There we’re guys in here, before me, extolling Usyk & his attributes. But I wasn’t long in recognising, like Inoue & Crawford, the #Elite talent the guy had & watched as he won & unified the Cruiserweight division via the Super Six.

Inside 6 fights at Heavyweight, he’s just cleaned out the division. Beating another Olympic Gold Medalist, & Unified Champ, alongside the other title holder; who was proclaimed to be Ali incarnate!

if he retires, he’ll sit alongside Marciano, as the only two Heavyweight Champ’s to retire undefeated & undisputed. (Gene Tunney, retired as undisputed Heavyweight Champ undefeated, but lost as a LH earlier in his career).

Edited by kiddy

If Fury gets a rematch, there's a potential trilogy on the card if he wins.

Think the opportunity for Fury vs AJ is slim at that point.

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Usyk is two years older than Fury, & 3 on AJ, having turned 37 in January.

Time is NOT on his side.

15 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Sad Eric Cartman GIF by South Park

You missed out beating Beterbiev as well, by the way.😉

Aye but I am also not going to go on about his 2 losses to Clemente Russo. Amateur boxing is its own thing. His Olympic gold is a nice little extra.

The fact you have to go to his amateur record to find another quality win shows how shallow the pool he has been in. And that isn't his fault. He hasn't ducked fights, the quality in the divisions has been lacking which is why he needs a dominating run of defenses to actually put him in the conversation of Greatest.

Right now if someone asks who is the better boxer out of Usyk or Floyd Mayweather it is PBF by a landslide. Best Heavyweight? He has only had 6 fights at HW so that is a tough argument too.

7 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

It’s agreed that the winner will vacate the IBF 

7 hours ago, kiddy said:

They’re mandating Hrgovic/Dubois for the title. Winner to take in Joshua.

There’s nothing left in the division, or Boxing, for 37 year old Usyk. He’ll sit in history alongside All the other Legends, arguably as the Greatest.

Whats the point in that then? Hardly an undisputed title if the winner is having to vacate one just days later. 

Superb performance from Usyk. He started welL but Fury really came back in the middle rounds and I honestly thought that a stoppage for Fury looked possible at that point. The way Usyk regrouped and retook control of the fight just shows what a fighter he is, how good his boxing brain is and how fantastically he was prepared.

I thought the ref should’ve stopped the fight in the ninth. Fury was out on his feet before he fell into the ropes and while he showed great power of recovery he was taking undefended punches for a long time. It probably would’ve been disputed but a stoppage would have been the right call IMO.

It was a fantastic fight though - I had thought it might get a bit untidy and ugly but until the final few rounds there wasn’t much holding and both showed great skill and fortitude.

I scored it 115-112 for Usyk, 7-5 on rounds with the knockdown. When they announced it split I was sure we were on for a draw.

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I can't see it happy.

Fury is going to balloon in weight.

44 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I can't see it happy.

Fury is going to balloon in weight.

His side bellies are already considerable 

Delighted for Usyk. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the fight, thought it was much closer than most people in here - had it 114-113 to Usyk. 

He is definitely up there with Crawford and Inoue as the best P4P in the world. Will be interesting to see what Fury does (if anything) differently in the rematch. 

Posted (edited)

I had it 115-112 for Usyk, in line with the first judge. Usyk won the first 2, then 4 on the bounce for Fury, then Usyk winning every round from 7-11 including a 10-8 round, then Fury winning the last one.

I suspect the other two judges either gave the 11th to Fury or one of the first two (one judge giving him both)

Edited by JS_FFC