The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2016-2017

glensmad

I am told Holm Park was heavy but just playable this afternoon although it was still raining. As with most grounds in the west we wont know until tomorrow morning.

10 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I said "dry from now", however the BBC have let me down as it's been raining all afternoon. :'(

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am told Holm Park was heavy but just playable this afternoon although it was still raining. As with most grounds in the west we wont know until tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed for a dry and non-freezing night.

Fair to say Glens got some of those calls they were 'due' in their favour today.  We should have had 2 blatant pens in 2nd half. A handball then a crazy late aerial challenge on Michael Bailey too that the ref chose not to give. Relieved to get 1st win in a while though.

1 hour ago, YAFC said:
Fair to say Glens got some of those calls they were 'due' in their favour today.  We should have had 2 blatant pens in 2nd half. A handball then a crazy late aerial challenge on Michael Bailey too that the ref chose not to give. Relieved to get 1st win in a while though.

I have to say I don't remember the second incident you are referring to, and I don't remember anybody shouting for it either. I'll need to see the handball again, I didn't think it was a penalty at the time but I was a good distance away from the incident. The referee indicated it was a shoulder and not an arm, and he was pretty close. The Yoker bench didn't seem to make much of it, to be fair.

We have no complaints today, though, if you miss as many chances as we do every week and gift the opposition goals then you're going to struggle.

I have to say I don't remember the second incident you are referring to, and I don't remember anybody shouting for it either. I'll need to see the handball again, I didn't think it was a penalty at the time but I was a good distance away from the incident. The referee indicated it was a shoulder and not an arm, and he was pretty close. The Yoker bench didn't seem to make much of it, to be fair.

We have no complaints today, though, if you miss as many chances as we do every week and gift the opposition goals then you're going to struggle.

Are you actually saying glens didn't deserve anything from today's games? Jesus Christ never thought I would see the day.

5 minutes ago, Essdee said:

Next weeks fixtures

Clydebank v Kilsyth

Irvine Vics v Rutherglen Glencairn

Maryhill v Yoker

Petershill v Shotts

Renfrew v Cumbernauld

Shettleston v Girvan

Given that we have played 5 home and 3 away and our park is currently out of commission, and the fact that we also haven't played Shotts yet, I would hazard a guess that we will be asking for the game to be switched to Hannah Park.

39 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Given that we have played 5 home and 3 away and our park is currently out of commission, and the fact that we also haven't played Shotts yet, I would hazard a guess that we will be asking for the game to be switched to Hannah Park.

We'll be having none of that common sense nonsense on here!

2 hours ago, Maddog69 said:

Are you actually saying glens didn't deserve anything from today's games? Jesus Christ never thought I would see the day.

Lol, well as I said, if you miss chances like we did, and gift the opposition goals as we did, you get what you deserve. No complaints today.

A full match report (from the Glencairn website) is here.

2 hours ago, YAFC said:

PS I forgot about to mention our disallowed goal too......fairly confident the video will show it should've stood. That's 3 calls that went your way today :P

I'll be very surprised if that's the case, as I was standing right in line with that one and he looked yards offside to me. But the video might prove me wrong, we'll see, but I always call it as I see it.

Glencairn struggling glensmad??

If you look at the league table, it seems that way. However, we're actually playing good football but missing lots of chances, and we seem to get punished for every mistake we make defensively.

I was speaking to a Clydebank fan after today's game, and he said a phrase that I've heard countless times this season - "I can't believe you didn't win that game having watched it." Everybody seems to be saying that to us, but there comes a stage where you have to look at your own failings and not look for hard luck stories.

Ten games played, only two wins, four draws and four defeats. Sure, we had some bad refereeing calls, but I'm sure other teams in this league have too. If we'd taken even just a couple more of the chances we've created in every game we would be at the top end of the league. But we haven't, and we have to sort that ourselves and not look for favours from anyone.

5 hours ago, YAFC said:

PS I forgot about to mention our disallowed goal too......fairly confident the video will show it should've stood. That's 3 calls that went your way today :P

Here are the highlights. Looks a good goal to me, but the linesman indicates he came back from an offside position.

https://youtu.be/nsMf0ZLZxnA

Here are the highlights. Looks a good goal to me, but the linesman indicates he came back from an offside position.

I'm not sure how you can tell, McManus isn't in the picture when the ball is headed to him. From where I was standing he was about 3 yards offside, and I immediately looked for the flag expecting it to go up, which it did. Not that it mattered in the end.

Archived