Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Got told Swanson was signing for Hibs yesterday, ITK.

It's no shock, and I can't blame him. He's getting a pay rise, more than we offered as a new wage, and it's the club he's supported his whole life.

Big task for TW to replace his goals/assists/general play. The fact the wage budget is apparently increasing, and we're looking for quality over quantity this year, means the addition of Swanson's wages would mean we would have a real good shot at finding someone though

Danny Swanson loves taking the piss out of you lot. He treats you as the gullible lassie that always takes him back no matter how many times he fucks off with someone else. He's been a class player for you, but you'll be well rid!

Person I feel sorry for is Tommy Wright, tbh. Hes now twice rescued Swanson from wasting away the final years of his career, stuck by him through injuries and poor form, stuck by him fighting with a team mate, has virtually moulded a team to allow him to play a game he feels comfortable with, and is constantly defending him in the media in light of claims his wage demands were excessive. He's constantly said Swanson was desperate to re-sign, and I doubt he'd be saying that if Swanson wasn't telling him that, and once again, Swanson has gone back on a promise of signing with us to sign elsewhere.

I doubt he'll get a third chance if it goes tits up at Hibs, and it might, as I don't see where he fits in a Lennon side.

Yeah, this move has been coming for a while. I have no problem with him moving on. However, it seems like he has been particularly uncooperative in discussions with the club and far from transparent about his intentions. Tommy has been taken for a bit of a ride here. After recently coming out in the press and stating that Danny was very keen to sign a new deal before the end of this week, he's been made to look a bit sheepish. Quite a shoddy way to treat the club which has revived your career on more than one occasion.

See you later, Danny. You've been excellent. There's no denying that you're the most naturally gifted footballer at the club. But as always, just like Stevie May and Michael O'Halloran before you, another player will inevitably step up to the plate now. 

Edited by The Real Saints

10 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I have no problem with him moving on. However, it seems like he has been particularly uncooperative in discussions with the club and far from transparent about his intentions. Tommy has been taken for a bit of a ride here. After recently coming out in the press and stating that Danny was very keen to sign a new deal before the end of this week, he's been made to look a bit sheepish. Quite a shoddy way to treat the club which has revived your career on more than one occasion.

About sums it up for me. If Swanson thinks he can perform like he largely has for Saints since Xmas and not finding himself with a watching brief at Easter Road, he has another thing coming though. He won't find another manager that was as loyal to him as Tommy Wright was.

We found out in the autumn of 2015 that he lacks class and is inherently dishonest, it's just a shame that Tommy Wright has been made to look a bit silly again by him. In saying that, he's a big part of the reason we'll hopefully finish fourth as his early season form was excellent and he deserves to have that noted as well.

Glad the Millar situation has been resolved, even if I suspect it should have been handled a lot better. Look forward to seeing him more involved again over the next five games.

Do people think we will/should see Swanson feature in the rest of the season?

I know Craig was outstanding after his move was confirmed, but this feels different

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do people think we will/should see Swanson feature in the rest of the season?

Don't have an answer but going to be interesting to see how the manager handles it. He was made to look similarly naive when Brian Graham signed a PCA with County on the day TW was talking in the press about discussing a new deal but he still used him over the remaining games. I think (and hope, as the alternative is he takes issue with Steve Brown) this feels very different though.

As long as MacLean doesn't go back on penalties...

I called this a couple months back on here as I had it on relative good authority that he would sign for Hibs if and when they got promoted. I might be wrong but I don't think he ever had any intentions of staying with us if Hibs went up and could offer him more than us. Not massively bothered in all honesty. Would happily play him till the end of the season if his form dictates he merits it.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

I wonder if we'll make a move for Michael Francis O'Halloran.

I can't see us pulling the finances together for that. Just have to hope some of targets on the list that TW has already given the chairman are attainable. If he doesn't cut some players (only Scobbie and Mannus left), it's hard to see where the money comes from to sign three players, maybe four now that Swanson has gone.

A player that has constantly said publicly for 6 months how much he wants to stay and is always on the verge of signing yet never does goes and signs for somebody else? Wow, who saw that coming. Apparently everyone except Tommy and whoever decided to launch the season ticket sales today.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

f**k Swanson, the most worrying thing to be coming out is the apparent treatment of Chris Millar.

Yeah, a contract extension and a testimonial. How dare they, the b*****ds!

Hibernian are a bigger club than St Johnstone and can offer a more lucrative deal, thats money and that's football and i would do the exact same thing if i was a footballer in Swansons position.

Hopefully in a role reversal Swanson would be champing at the bit to rip into me once the inevitable happens and St Johnstone finish above Hibernian in the league as has been the case for a number of recent seasons.

Oh wait, maybe Hibs isn't that big...

Hibernian are a bigger club than St Johnstone and can offer a more lucrative deal, thats money and that's football and i would do the exact same thing if i was a footballer in Swansons position.

Hopefully in a role reversal Swanson would be champing at the bit to rip into me once the inevitable happens and St Johnstone finish above Hibernian in the league as has been the case for a number of recent seasons.

Oh wait, maybe Hibs isn't that big...

You'd string a manager the has stuck by you through some hard times professionally along and tell him you were desperate to sign until there was a mere whiff of interest from elsewhere?

Swanson's a good player but he's an arsehole.

He could have signed for Hibs on a pre contract without making Tommy Wright look like a right mug - again.