Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Unofficial Twitter quoting TW as blaming Steve Brown for losing Scobbie. Claiming Scobbie was willing to take a paycut to stay but Brown wanted him off the books.

I still struggle to feel too much sympathy for TW in these situations tbh, he signs a raft of shite constantly. Maybe if we'd only given Watson and Coulson one year deals we wouldn't be stuck with them, and the wages would've been there to keep Scobbie.

I have total sympathy for TW. Of course he's made some mistakes with transfers, all managers do. 

However, the constant focus from the chairman on penny pinching is wearisome and just causes bigger problems for the team in the long term. How can he not see that running with one lb is an issue? 

I have total sympathy for TW. Of course he's made some mistakes with transfers, all managers do. 
However, the constant focus from the chairman on penny pinching is wearisome and just causes bigger problems for the team in the long term. How can he not see that running with one lb is an issue? 

The reason foster was signed was due to him being able to play right across the back line IE left right and central. Simple solution is foster right comrie right and shaughnessy and Anderson central . Or shaughnessy right and Kerr Gordon or Gilchrist in central .

55 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

How can anyone claim the chairman has a 'constant focus' on penny pinching the day after we sign Scougall? I'd imagine the situation is simple and unchanging: Wright has a budget for players. Brown keeps him to it. So if Wright wants to re-sign Mannus and Millar, tempt Scougall here and can't get  rid of the players he signed last summer, that takes away from what he can offer others.

14 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

The reason foster was signed was due to him being able to play right across the back line IE left right and central. Simple solution is foster right comrie right and shaughnessy and Anderson central . Or shaughnessy right and Kerr Gordon or Gilchrist in central .

OK.  But now Tommy says he wants to sign an experienced lb.

5 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

How can anyone claim the chairman has a 'constant focus' on penny pinching the day after we sign Scougall? I'd imagine the situation is simple and unchanging: Wright has a budget for players. Brown keeps him to it. So if Wright wants to re-sign Mannus and Millar, tempt Scougall here and can't get  rid of the players he signed last summer, that takes away from what he can offer others.

Football isn't always cut and dry though. Brown doesn't seem to factor in injury or suspension. Tommy knows his squad and isn't saying: " Tam is away but it's fine because Liam can cover there in an emergency." He now wants to sign an experienced defender for cover. 

1 minute ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Define experienced as the player he has targeted has no top league experience but plenty experience in lower league football so explain that one.

I'm going by what he said in the YouTube interview. 

An experienced lb. Surely if he was happy with the defence that you suggested then he wouldn't be targeting any replacement?

Football isn't always cut and dry though. Brown doesn't seem to factor in injury or suspension. Tommy knows his squad and isn't saying: " Tam is away but it's fine because Liam can cover there in an emergency." He now wants to sign an experienced defender for cover. 

TW shouldn't be spending the budget on back up players like Mannus and Millar, who can only play one position then. You'll likely find they agreed if Watson and Coulson were punted, he could keep Scobbie and Scougall. If not he'd have to decide between them. It was TW who was desperate for those two last season.

Define experienced as the player he has targeted has no top league experience but plenty experience in lower league football so explain that one.

who is this left back from the championship he is targeting , going through the sides there seems to be 

paddy boyle - relegated with Ayr 

Mark docherty - dumbarton

Paul Dixon or Sean Dillon - but they do have top flight experience

Jason Talbot - Dunfermline

Luke Leahy would have been decent but signed for walsall, peter grant is left footed but under contract and not a left back

Mark russell or Thomas o'ware from morton, but pretty sure both under contract

Jordan Marshall from QOTS, and chris higgins has been released but surely not him

Kevin McHattie from Raith but he has top flight experience

Or Adam Eckersley from St Mirren , who in fairness was on Man utd's books, and has 100 odd games in denmark so might actually be suited for europe, 

I'm going by what he said in the YouTube interview. 
An experienced lb. Surely if he was happy with the defence that you suggested then he wouldn't be targeting any replacement?

Yeah so if he signs the player he wants to for LB everyone will scratch their head as to me to be classed as experienced you need to be experienced to the league you will be playing in. This player won't have ever played in the top league. All a bit bizarre.

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Yeah so if he signs the player he wants to for LB everyone will scratch their head as to me to be classed as experienced you need to be experienced to the league you will be playing in. This player won't have ever played in the top league. All a bit bizarre.

Have to disagree with you on this one. Going by your definition Scougall is inexperienced. It's to do with playing senior games as opposed to Under-20's etc no matter the league. You can't class a player with say 250 Championship appearances as inexperienced.

It seems to me that Tommy thought he wasn't losing anyone other than Watson/Coulson. He'd targeted Scougall, a striker and a wide player. 

The chairman punting Scobbie might have screwed that.

Have to disagree with you on this one. Going by your definition Scougall is inexperienced. It's to do with playing senior games as opposed to Under-20's etc no matter the league. You can't class a player with say 250 Championship appearances as inexperienced.

Fair enough argument that. Unless Easton is looking like being out for months, it's a waste of a wage and another kick in the teeth to youth players currently at the club

Fair enough argument that. Unless Easton is looking like being out for months, it's a waste of a wage and another kick in the teeth to youth players currently at the club

What kind of age is the lb in question?

It seems to me that Tommy thought he wasn't losing anyone other than Watson/Coulson. He'd targeted Scougall, a striker and a wide player. 
The chairman punting Scobbie might have screwed that.

If Tommy wanted to keep scobbie so much you need to question why talks didn't start with him until the season was over.

If Tommy wanted to keep scobbie so much you need to question why talks didn't start with him until the season was over.

Is Tommy just cutting off his nose to spite his face?

Is Tommy just cutting off his nose to spite his face?

Don't know but it's a bizarre situation crying over tam leaving when he didn't say to the board/chairman he wanted to keep him until after the rangers game. Sounds like he putting a little pressure on brown to sanction another left back on top of his other targets