Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

20 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Hemmings is still under contract so no doubt a fee would be asked, and another striker would certainly be very useful but probably not top of the shopping list. 

Drove past earlier and no training happening - assume there's a bounce game somewhere?

Also, I wouldn't want Hemmings.

May likely takes a fair whack of the budget so another high earning striker would be negligent, while Hendry deserves a chance as a regular starter.

Agree RG, would definitely have taken Hemmings  a year ago, but on a higher salary the pressure would be on to pick him ahead of Hendry, who's more than earned his opportunity at starting regularly.

A different kind of option up front might be a possibility, e.g.a target man for when we're chasing games, or another back up striker,  but we have also Kane and MOH as options if required.

Centre mid and wide are the main priorities if we're going to be looking at one or two 'big' signings.

13 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

So who was the potential new guy this week if it wasn't him then? 😂

All outlandish rumors welcome...

St Johnstone are too boring for transfer rumours.

Transfer windows are, by far, the most boring things in football if you're a St Johnstone fan.

Just now, Radford said:

There was an agent on Sportsound yesterday saying one Premiership club have told him they aren't in a position to sign players until the window actually opens...

When is the window actually opening this season?

See different dates every time I look.

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

That's the issue. 

Then someone at the club needs a fucking shake.

Latest date I've seen it a July 13th opening, and it then being extended into October, but zero idea if that was ever confirmed yet. Apparently FIFA rules mean windows can only be 12 weeks, and Scotland will just follow England who want an October end date.

UEFA dictating an October 5th deadline day, my, shite, maths means that July 13th would be the opening date. Weird its not had any official confirmation yet though.

FWIW we are the only club who haven't signed anyone this window (Rooney doesn't count), so it can literally only be us he's on about.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, Johnstoun said:

It's OK, we'll save a couple of wages for a month and be the slowest starters in the league again. Mountains are there to be climbed.

TBF I think there's enough to quality to prevent that, but there's zero depth in some areas.

In midfield you've got McCann, Davidson, Craig, MOH and Wotherspoon and that's your lot. Maybe Ballantyne too. Thats 5 players competing for 3/4 positions, with one also being your 4th choice striker in a set up that plays 2 up top.

You want at least two players who can play wide in a midfield 4, and you want a holding midfielder to provide a base (Craig can do that still though).

We don't have any cover at right back if we go for wing backs (don't suggest Wotherspoon), so if Rooney completely flops we're choosing between him and Duffy.

I still have no faith in Parish as back up and if Clark has another shite season thats another position you have nothing in.

Right now it feels strong, but poor form for Clark and Rooney is very possible, as is another injury to Gordon. Hendry won't keep up his scoring rate, and MOH has struggled since he returned really.

A few bits of bad luck/dreadful form forcing drops and our team suddenly looks weak as f**k. 

Parish

Duffy - Kerr - McCart - Tanser

MOH - McCann - Craig - Robertson 

May - Kane

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF I think there's enough to quality to prevent that, but there's zero depth in some areas.

In midfield you've got McCann, Davidson, Craig, MOH and Wotherspoon and that's your lot. Maybe Ballantyne too. Thats 5 players competing for 3/4 positions, with one also being your 4th choice striker in a set up that plays 2 up top.

You want at least two players who can play wide in a midfield 4, and you want a holding midfielder to provide a base (Craig can do that still though).

We don't have any cover at right back if we go for wing backs (don't suggest Wotherspoon), so if Rooney completely flops we're choosing between him and Duffy.

I still have no faith in Parish as back up and if Clark has another shite season thats another position you have nothing in.

Right now it feels strong, but poor form for Clark and Rooney is very possible, as is another injury to Gordon. Hendry won't keep up his scoring rate, and MOH has struggled since he returned really.

A few bits of bad luck/dreadful form forcing drops and our team suddenly looks weak as f**k. 

Parish

Duffy - Kerr - McCart - Tanser

MOH - McCann - Craig - Robertson 

May - Kane

You started off so positively, then gradually your positivity started to fade and you ended up in utter despair...😁 Probably best not to overthink things pal.

Just now, Lang Toon Saintee said:

You started off so positively, then gradually your positivity started to fade and you ended up in utter despair...😁 Probably best not to overthink things pal.

Its two weeks until the season starts, it seems like we're not actively signing players, in terms of depth its the weakest squad I can remember us having (we have 14 players proven at this level IMO), and we've got a rookie manager who could go either way.

Last season we had injury problems, and this season is going to be the most compressed one you'll ever see in terms of gap between games.

Honestly I can understand with the Covid situation, and new manager search, why there hasnt been much business, but if the genuine reason is that they're waiting on the transfer window opening, then the club is even more amateur than I imagined.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Then someone at the club needs a fucking shake.

Latest date I've seen it a July 13th opening, and it then being extended into October, but zero idea if that was ever confirmed yet. Apparently FIFA rules mean windows can only be 12 weeks, and Scotland will just follow England who want an October end date.

UEFA dictating an October 5th deadline day, my, shite, maths means that July 13th would be the opening date. Weird its not had any official confirmation yet though.

FWIW we are the only club who haven't signed anyone this window (Rooney doesn't count), so it can literally only be us he's on about.

I can't remember where I saw it - it may have been the SSN ticker - but I've a feeling 27th July was mentioned for the English window opening.

It'd make sense as the EPL season finishes 26th and Championship 22nd July.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

I can't remember where I saw it - it may have been the SSN ticker - but I've a feeling 27th July was mentioned for the English window opening.

It'd make sense as the EPL season finishes 26th and Championship 22nd July.

They haven't decided a date yet, as far as I can see. They were meant to vote on it but nothing was agreed upon, so they're having another vote in the next 2 weeks.

It would be peak St Johnstone to wait until the window opens on July 27th, for no obvious reason at all, to sign players for a season starting on August 1st.

I literally have zero idea what single reason there would be to wait on the window opening to sign players when the season start date is set in stone for 2 weeks away.

Let’s be honest this is a regular occurrence for us and it usually turns out fine. I reckon if I trawled through posts two weeks before the start of the past few seasons I would find similar.  Things are different but that could be a positive for us.  I know it’s knicker wetting season for some Saints fans but at least give it another week or so.

1 minute ago, Bose said:

Let’s be honest this is a regular occurrence for us and it usually turns out fine. I reckon if I trawled through posts two weeks before the start of the past few seasons I would find similar.  Things are different but that could be a positive for us.  I know it’s knicker wetting season for some Saints fans but at least give it another week or so.

In another week we'll be one week from starting.

In 18/19 we'd signed Drey Wright, Matty Kennedy, and Tony Watt, by that time.